Whats the longest anyone has gone with no period?

Options
Fergieberg
Fergieberg Posts: 92 Member
I've really been reading up on PCOS with blogs and posts from other women. Most of my symptoms match everyone else's, but everyone seems to get a period pretty normally or "close" to normal. I go for months and months and months, I just wanted to know if I am the only one out there, or if there are others like me?

Replies

• jessward12
    jessward12 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I went from April 2012 to December 2012 without a period. I wouldn't have had that one had I not taken provera for it to start. I've heard that loosing just 10% of body weight can get your body on track.
  • DiyahMarie
    Options
    About two months but its also not unusual for me to be my cycle for 3 weeks even if it is just mostly spotting
  • claire1977
    claire1977 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm with you this one not unusual for me to go for many months just another symptom of this horrid condition
  • Fergieberg
    Fergieberg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am feeling much better now, thanks for the responses ladies! I really should track them better, but when it takes so long I forget when I actually had my last one. I am pretty sure it was March 12. I am hoping that losing some weight is going to jump start another one real soon. I also plan on seeing a new OB, my old one never really did much for the PCOS and helping me concieve.
  • Connie_Cupcake
    Options
    I went a year without it. A full on year. It was awesome/awful at the same time. I also have PCOS. By the end of the year sans period I found out I had pcos, was promptly put on Metformin and it was back. Been regular-ish every since while on metformin.
  • healthby40
    healthby40 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are going to a dr and getting checked, maybe even a biopsy (it can be done in the dr. office). I rarely got a peroid and ended up with borderline uterine cance in my 20's. I didn't know the danger of not having a period until I starting trying to have a baby. I caught it close enough that the doctor could still treat me and I did get pregnant with twins, but then had to have a hysterectomy 2 months after giving birth to them at the age of 28. Just a warning the PCOS can cause some serious problems. If I would have never tried to conceive then I would have never known!
  • aeich8899
    aeich8899 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am almost regular at every 63 days, it is slightly longer in between but as long as it does not hit that 90 day mark than I'm fine ( and my gym ) is fine with me not having it kick started with meds. It usually only lasts about 5 days thank god but I get god awful cramps like so bad I can;t sleep, so Excedrin menstrual has become my best friend.

As for tracking if you have a smart phone look up mydays its an app that lets you track. and what I use because before i got this app, i could never remember when the last time was.
  • landb925
    landb925 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I went 9 months and then when I went to the doctor to find out what was going on I was diagnosed with PCOS. The doctor also explained that it is dangerous to go more than a couple months without a period. It is a good thing to find a way either with meds or naturally if you can to regulate it. Good luck!
  • mrswaite08
    mrswaite08 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yup, medically you need to have a period a minimum of every 90 days. I have a rx for provera on hand, but since starting metformin in September 2012 I'm on my 4th cycle since then but normally would go 40 - 100+ days without a period.
  • SneakyBat
    SneakyBat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'd go for 3 months or so between periods, everything seems back to normal now ( 30 days) since having dropped the first 28lbs.
  • shannasaurus_rex
    shannasaurus_rex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Longest for me is 6 or 8 months. I'm completely irregular still - sometimes 30-40 days a couple cycles in a row, then nothing for a few months. It's impossible to predict. Just started Metformin last week, so I'm hoping that (coupled with weight loss) will help get things back on track... well, "back on track" implies that they were EVER on track, which they were not. The only time in my life I had regular cycles was when I was on birth control pills. So, I'm hopeful to achieve a semi-natural (semi because I'm relying on the Metformin) 30-ish day cycle. We'll see.

I will echo, like others on here, that my last gyno told me to let her know if I went past 90 days without a period because she would precribe something to induce shedding. If you go past 90 days, see your doc.
  • countryrayne
    Options
    I went for a little over a year. I thought it was awesome until I mentioned it to my family doctor in a visit about my weight. I found out it is very unhealthy to go more than 3 months without your peroid. I was told that my chances of overian cancer were significanty higher when I let myself go without my period. After that visit I had to go see my gyno and do a utlrasound to see if there where multiple (poly) eggs on my overy. There were and I was told I had PCOS. It all made so much sense . . . the weight, the extra hair on my face, the loss of hair on my head, the acne. Good luck on your journey. . . it is a rough one but through the people here I have seen that there is light at the end of the tunnel. :)
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Two years. Not smart, but I was in doctor avoidance mode at that point.
  • kolmschenk77
    Options
    I went 6 full months with no period. Saw a reproductive endocrinologist and was diagnosed with PCOS after a transvaginal ultrasound. Hubby and I tried to get pregnant for the very first time and succeeded with no fertility drugs like Clomid. I went on the pill after that and have had regular periods since. I take Junel, a low dose hormone pill.
  • shastory
    Options
    9 months... only started because doc prescriped provera.
  • danninicole4887
    danninicole4887 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ive gone years.. yes sounds great but its terrible at the same time. i have a lot of worries. i have been put on birth control to help regulate but unforhcnatly that hasn't helped either. I have a appointment next month so hopefully we can figure something out. Has anybody had a DNC done to see if that has helped? I need some ideas for treatment besides birth control and metformin!
  • bsgkid
    bsgkid Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    About 9 months, with no pregnancy to show for it.
  • newking
    newking Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    3 years, and like the poster above I was avoiding dr's at that point. It took progesterone shots to get me to have one again, and now I'm regular after losing weight but I know that doesn't always work for everyone.
  • pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    Who even knows! I stopped counting at a year one time, and even then it was mostly spotting. That was at age 20. The first period I ever had at age 14 may be the only real, recognizable, non-birth control induced period I can even remember. Got off the pill in June 2012, and I haven't had anything but spotting since (I'm now 25).

You are NOT alone!
  • EmpressoftheCosmos
    Options
    Two to three months. Now Im on the pill to regulate my cycle but I plan to get healthier and lose weight so that my body will function properly on its on... I really dont like taking the pill :/