Whats the longest anyone has gone with no period?

Options

Replies

• plussizedvegetarian
    Options
    I've gone months (around 2 or so?) in the past without a period and because I was much younger and didn't quite understand what was going on and the seriousness of it I was glad. That said, the main issue I've had has been the non-stop bleeding, which would sometimes happen after skipping my period for a month or 2. I'm not an expert, but I noticed weight loss (of around 10 lbs. or so) and Chasteberry (also known as Vitex) corrected my symptoms of the most part. The pill was murder on my body, but if you can handle birth control it is an option. Ultimately it's a conversation you'll have to have w/your gyno, I hope you find the best solution for you soon. :)
  • Qfrump
    Qfrump Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am feeling much better now, thanks for the responses ladies! I really should track them better, but when it takes so long I forget when I actually had my last one. I am pretty sure it was March 12. I am hoping that losing some weight is going to jump start another one real soon. I also plan on seeing a new OB, my old one never really did much for the PCOS and helping me concieve.

There are several "lady" apps that help you track your period. And, if you were actually ovulating, tell you your fertile range. Unrelated, my primary care physician (when I was on the pill and blissfully unaware of PCOS) suggested that I keep a running log of medical stuff (dates I took which medicines, my reactions to them, etc). I just use google drive for this purpose now.
  • Pooh1981
    Pooh1981 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The longest I have ever gone with out a period was around 2 years. I was at the time blissfully ignorant at the time until I talked to my Mom and the next thing I knew she had scheduled me for an appointment with my ob/gyn and when they done all the tests they diagnosed me as having pcos and then after being diagnosed put me on some kind of hormone to induce a period after I started having a period I started taking yaz and that birth control for me was absolutely horrid! But I have now been off birth control for a few years and I don't have a regular period but it is semi normal saying that I have one every other month!
  • pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    There are several "lady" apps that help you track your period. And, if you were actually ovulating, tell you your fertile range. Unrelated, my primary care physician (when I was on the pill and blissfully unaware of PCOS) suggested that I keep a running log of medical stuff (dates I took which medicines, my reactions to them, etc). I just use google drive for this purpose now.

On this note, I came a hilarious menstrual app like this the other day. It's on the Google Play store. It's called "Magic Day", and the description is "added the secret function for your privacy. The EXTRA NICE and SPECIAL menstruation tracker!"

Oh boy!
  • Jeeplette
    Options
    I'm another PCOSer that had NEVER EVER EVER had a natural period. I've gone to drs since I was 14 and they just kept putting me on BCP (birth control pills) and/or Provera. They did cause me to have bleeding on a consistent cycle. I tried just about every pill/patch out there and hated all of them so I would quit taking them (some after a couple of months, some after a a year+)...they all made me an angry/hateful person.

Now, it has been probably better than 7 years (honestly lost track) since I've had one...and yes, I have had all kinds of tests to make sure that everything is as it should be. In fact, one of my drs was quite surprised that I didn't have a build up of cells. Everything is in the right place, is the right size, and no blockages as far as we can tell. On the trans-vaginal ultrasound that I've had, they have all shown that I have multiple cysts on both ovaries.

I have recently started going to a dr that deals with NFP (natural family planning) who does not prescribe birth control of any kind. He doesn't try to put a bandaide on the problem (which is BCP) but is trying to figure out WHY I'm not having a cycle and get that worked out so I CAN have natural one. This is the first doctor that put me on Metformin (my last couple of drs said I didn't need it since I didn't appear to be insulin resistant according to the millions of blood tests I've had) and he told me that it is worth a try. I've been on that for a few months now with no change. I also got put on Spironolactone a little over a month ago...which has only helped with lessening hair loss from my head. The next step will be ovarian wedge re-sectioning.

I also lost about 50 lbs and kept it off for more than a year with no change and no sign of a period. Now, I have put almost all of it back on. I am an emotional eater which sucks! :grumble:

I also have always felt "broken" and although I also wouldn't want to wish this on anyone, I am glad to know I am not alone. My issue is that I have never met anyone who has NEVER had a natural cycle so I feel even more alone with that on top of everything else.

Moral of the story: you are NOT alone. :flowerforyou:
  • striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Currently at 3.5 years and counting but I think most of it has to do with my IUD. Prior to my IUD I'd get my period 3-4 times a year. I'm really curious to know what my cycle will be like once I get it removed since losing all the weight that I have.
  • ashleym9925
    Options
    It's been 6 years since I've had my last period.
  • TracyBarrett81
    TracyBarrett81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I normally have a period about twice a year. Its kinda funny because I always think I am getting the flu or a bug. I don,t have it enough to be expecting it. So I am always kinda happy that I am not getting sick. Lame huh??

The longest I have went with out having a period is 18 months.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    About 6 years ago I went off BCP for 2 years. I got 2 periods in that time, both prompted by my use of the MAP.
  • never124get
    Options
    Before I was diagnosed with it I went about 6 months without a period...then I got it finally and I had my period for about a month...it was just awful...always tired and hurting. Now I'm on the birth control shot that you have to get everything three months and I have about two periods a year each for 7 days exactly...it's nice to know when I'm going to get it and how long it will last.
  • smartybee
    Options
    The longest I've gone is 4 months - which was a scary four months, since I had no idea what was going on! Right now, I'm going on two and a half without a period - however, now that I've got an official diagnosis (just found out last week that I have PCOS), it makes more sense. Doesn't make it any less annoying, though.
  • fittyfittybumbum
    Options
    Almost a year. Me being regular is having a period once every 3 months. Now that I exercise so much though, sometimes I get lucky and have two in a row.
  • germaneagles79
    germaneagles79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I get mine about every 9 to 12 month and when I do get it I have it for several weeks. I used to be on the pill but the side effects were to much for me to handle.
  • piety633
    Options
    I will go anywhere from 9-12 months, without one. But, on the flip side I've had it last for 83 days (mostly like a normal day 4). I'm on the Nuva ring, so that won't happen again.
  • slatch10
    Options
    I didn't have a period for six months, then after that i had it for almost 6 months straight which was ridiculous. I went to the doctor, was referred to a Gyno and was prescribed birth control. It helped get me back into it, but I am worried about what will happen if I ever am interested in getting pregnant.
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Five years! And that is when I was diagnosed with PCOS... now I'm 'lucky' to get one around every 60 days. I'm hoping with weight loss, they become more regular :smile: It seems my 'normal' friends, have their cycle every week in comparison! :huh:
  • jlandc
    Options
    I am currently on month four with no period, and it usually ranges anywhere from 2-6 months.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    About 9 months, with no pregnancy to show for it.

lol same
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I once went 13 months -- but it was on average about every 4 months before I got pregnant with my first child.

Now on average I go about every 60 days or so.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Before they put me on BC I would go 3-4 months without one and then I would have a bunch back to back like 2 weeks apart. It was not fun. I am still on BC so I am regular now but from all the research I have read, losing 10% of your body weight gets your system jumpstarted towards a regular period. The closer you get to a healthy BMI the more regular and "normal" you will get. I hope this helps!