Extra Exercise?

jacki1976
jacki1976 Posts: 15 Member
I know you're only suppose to run about 3 days a week but does anybody do anything else on the "off" days? I thought some light weights might be good on those days but is it ok to walk in between or should you just let your legs rest those days? I'm really not new to exercise but this time I want to do it right and not start out too fast.

Replies

• meredithfp
    meredithfp Posts: 104 Member
    I recently asked the same question. The feedback was to avoid running but there are other things you can do. I usually go for an easier but longer walk. I've thought swimming or Zumba would be good.
  • ClarkWierda
    ClarkWierda Posts: 49 Member
    The key is to not do too much. The rest days in between are as important as the running schedule. This allows your body to recover.

That said, an extra easy walk on the weekend, or something completely different like strength training, can actually help.

Also, if you are already doing something and just adding the C25K to that, you are likely fine to continue the existing activity. Just be on the lookout for fatigue. If it affecting your form, you might need to make an adjustment.
  • hlsc
    hlsc Posts: 66 Member
    I do yoga on the evenings of my runs (so MWF run in morning, MW + Sat morning yoga class). It's a very nice way to stretch and do something different.
  • immarungirl
    immarungirl Posts: 35 Member
    On days I don't run I walk and do weights.
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    On top of the C25K 3 times a weeks, I would also walk for an hour 7 days a week with my wife. On run days, that would but me over 6.5 miles.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    I lift weights on the off days.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    I try to include other exercise, mainly because running really fires me up to do more! Hiking at weekends and circuit/strength training such as Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred are my favourites.

But... the most important thing is to do the C25K running. Even just three days a week of C25K will get great results (my cardio fitness has improved greatly and my legs have really started to change shape).
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    I lift weights but I also run 6 days a week. I'm coming off of 10 months of HIIT training though. As someone said, listen to your body, if you feel like doing more do so but resting is important also.