Going Insane Pt 3: I'm Rocky

BigDougie1211
BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,531 Member
The boards seem very quiet, so thought I'd share my Insanity blog - someone might be interested, you never know.

So, I've just started my 2nd week of Insanity and thought I'd share my impressions of Week 1.

I liked it.

It's pretty tough, don't get me wrong, but I love the intensity of the sessions, the variation of moves and the pool of sweat I have to mop up when I'm finished.

Or should that be when I'm starting?

Insanity genuinely has the toughest warm up I've ever engaged in. It's a mini circuit all of it's own.

Seriously.

I manage an amateur football team and I recently put the boys through the Insanity Warm Up at training. We are currently mid season and believe me, these guys didn't cruise through it. I've read other reviews / blogs that suggest a pre - warm up and , while I wouldn't be inclied to go down that route, I can understand why some would.Still, it's all part of the burn and I think I understand the method behind it. It's a 2nd wind thing. Anyone who's played any sport competitively will tell you that the first 10 minutes are God-awful. Your breathing is heavy, your legs hurt and your chest is tight. Recovering from that first sprint is a nightmare. But after 10 minutes or so, when the 2nd wind kicks in, that's when you can operate at your highest level.

I reckon that's the thinking behind these warm ups. You work hard for about 10 minutes, you struggle a bit towards the end of it. Then you have 5 minutes worth of stretching to recover and when you start the work out proper you're on your 2nd wind and able to give it everything.

It makes sense, it works but it's still a Bugger.

So, to the work outs themselves.

I can feel a difference already. I'm tired and I hurt a bit, but having done the 1st session of my 2nd week, I can already feel my body acclimatising to some sustained, regular hard work.

There's not much to say on them from a technical standpoint. Other people have spoken in great depth about the type of exercises and the mechanics of the work outs etc. So I won't go into that here.

Suffice to say it's 2 minutes on - 30 secs off.

Rinse and repeat.

The sessions are hard, and will stay hard, because the fitter I get, the harder I'll work.

You either like this style of training or you don't. If you don't enjoy circuit style, structured training it's simple enough - you'll hate Insanity.

Personally, I love it.

I love knowing what's coming next, I love knowing how long I'm working for and I love knowing the end is coming, staggering, wobbling but taking a breath, focussing and coming back strong for the final round.

That phrase is important to me " Final Round ".

There are so many ways for people to approach their training, some are meditative, almost zen like while they work. Some people are almost robotic, technically perfect, stone faced, machine like. Others are very free form. They run, they jog, they jump. They mess around and laugh and overtly enjoy their exercise.

I'm approaching Insanity like a fight and each set is a round.

It's me against Shaun T in the ring.

He's Apollo Creed and I'm Rocky.

He's the Champ and I'm a nobody.

He's there with his entourage and I'm all alone against them all.

I don't expect to knock him out - but I have to hang in there

As Rocky said

" All I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood. "

If I can grit my teeth, embrace these sessions and hang on in for the last few minutes EVERY TIME then I'll get there. I'll know that all the injuries, all the wasted years and all the bad habits didn't beat me. I'll come back and I'll come back strong, proud and still standing.

Replies

• abreuluv
    abreuluv Posts: 9 Member
    This was awesome! I just started my 2nd week of Insanity, but I already love it. Your explanation of the hardest warm-up and the reasoning behind it totally makes sense now. Thank you for that! And it is true - through the warm up I struggle, but after the stretching and going into the "actual circuits" I am able to do so much more. Thank you again for sharing!
  • BigDougie1211
    What are you drinking in your picture?
  • abreuluv
    abreuluv Posts: 9 Member
    I referred to it as a Beergarita - before I started my weight loss journey, of course :-)
  • BigDougie1211
    I'm kind of in love with it!