Paleo Lunches

Options
Fairysoul
Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
Ok so I have the dinners and breakfast down but the real problem is lunches. I have 20 month old daughter who is home with me all the time, and a 5 year old who is at school for 5 days a week. I just don't know what to do? The kids do eat tuna in between cucumbers but other than that I just can't pin it down. Any ideas are helpful thanks!

Replies

• caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for doing Paleo lunches for your kids. I do a semi-Primal lunch for my 5 and 3.5 year old. I do make sandwiches with bread, but often they just eat the meat from the middle anyway.

nomnompaleo.com recently did a write-up with a week of kid lunch options here: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/30267255011/a-week-of-paleo-school-lunches-part-1-of-5

I use Planetboxes with my boys, which they love. www.planetbox.com

meat and cheese roll-ups, sliced fruit/berries, sliced veggies with some sort of dip, leftover dinner...
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    Thanks! I am starting off by eating all paleo dinners, primal breakfast and lunch being the last to come into play since it's hard. But I am collecting my data so I can move forward :)
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Nom nom paleo has great ideas. I don't have kids but I used that post to help me with my own lunches.

I like to do the meat and cheese rollups, or chicken strip dipped in something (which totally works cold), fruit salad is always fun. I also do leftovers and will bring soups in my insulated lunchbot. You do have to let it sit with hot water about 5min and heat your food before filling which is kind of a pain, but I've packed up chili at 7am, didn't have lunch until 1p and the chili was still warm enough to melt the cheese I sprinkled on it.
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    Awesome thanks!!! Cold chicken and honey mustard sounds amazing.. going on the list lol
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My new favorite (non leftover) paleo lunch:
    spring mix
    can of tuna, drained
    100 cal packet of spicy wholly guac
    drizzle of olive oil

Easy, quick and delicious for the win!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Lunchboxes for adults and munchkins:
    http://primalkitchen.blogspot.com/search/label/lunchboxes - she's up to #192, but that was in November. :)
    http://mypaleolunchboxes.wordpress.com/ - only a few, but they look tasty.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Why not just leftover dinner for lunch? If you pre-bake a big batch of chicken drumsticks, they make fun easy lunches as well. Other ideas include:
    - celery and almond butter
    - paleo sushi (if they are creative eaters)
    - Sausage sliced on cucumber
    - carrot and veggies and an avocado/guacamole dip of sorts
    - For a sweet treat: yam baked with cinnamon and honey
    - paleo granola bars
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Get a crockpot and make a bit batch of chili. Instead of beans buy a bunch of carrots, peppers and onions and add them in.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Ya, we're all about leftovers. Every night we make a big batch of food for dinner and just bring leftovers for lunch.
  • sparkieamberjack
    Options
    I make soups, I use what ever meat that I want and paleo safe vegtables. I make two large pots of two different kinds of soup, I let them cool and then I share them up in serving sizes and freeze them. It makes lunch so easy because all I have to do is pull a serving out and heat it up.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Get a crockpot and make a bit batch of chili. Instead of beans buy a bunch of carrots, peppers and onions and add them in.

Another crockpot idea - shred the meat from a leftover roast and coat it in homemade barbeque sauce in the crockpot. Voila! BBQ beef!

Also - LETTUCE WRAP ALL THE THINGS!

Seriously, want something a little more substantial than meat and cheese rolls? Toss it in a big leaf of lettuce, add other toppings to taste and either use another piece of lettuce or wrap the lettuce around like a burrito.

Also, salads work well, too. Add chopped up meat to a bed of your favorite lettuces, add some nuts, seeds, hard boiled egg, and other toppings of your choice, finish with a good oil dressing of your choice, and you have a nice light but filling lunch.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

Also - LETTUCE WRAP ALL THE THINGS!

Seriously, want something a little more substantial than meat and cheese rolls? Toss it in a big leaf of lettuce, add other toppings to taste and either use another piece of lettuce or wrap the lettuce around like a burrito.

Also, salads work well, too. Add chopped up meat to a bed of your favorite lettuces, add some nuts, seeds, hard boiled egg, and other toppings of your choice, finish with a good oil dressing of your choice, and you have a nice light but filling lunch.

This - I put some meat & cheese in a big ol' leaf of romaine or greenleaf lettuce, a slice of avocado, and YUM. Though, the avocado can make it kind of squishy and messy...and yummier. ;)

I usually do leftovers, or cook up extra protein and use it on a salad for lunch.
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I second the planet box. I have a launch, and my kids both have rovers. I do salad just about everyday for lunch with leftover meat from the night before.