Hypoglycemia symptoms?

Options
Anniel88
Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if any of you deal with hypoglycemic symptoms and what did your doctor say about it? I follow a moderate low carb diet for my thyroid, so my symptoms are related to fasting lows rather than carb spikes and crashes. I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

I plan to bring this up to my next doctor’s appointment at the end of the month, but I have been noticing increasing spikes of hypoglycemic episodes and frankly getting a bit worried. I had an embarrassing moment at the supermarket the other day where I almost fainted in the check-out line and had to be tended to. I have read that hypoglycemia symptoms are linked to low thyroid levels, but my meds seem to be fine.

So if you have had similar types of experiences, what has your doctor said about it or how have you managed it?

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    but my meds seem to be fine.

I have that...when my thyroid isn't properly managed. Are you hypo or hyper...? What meds are you on and how much?

Your doctor is likely only testing your TSH for med levels, so I would strongly urge you to ask for a free T3 and free T4 test, as these are your actual thyroid hormones (TSH is from your pituitary gland).
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Since all of my thyroid levels are optimal, I've begun looking elsewhere and hypoglycemia keeps popping up. Have an appt with my primary on the 18th so we can talk about what's going on. It doesn't happen too often, but every couple of weeks I get terribly woozy, just for a few seconds, then it goes away. Sometimes I get nearly narcoleptic about 90 minutes after eating lunch (which usually consists of broccoli, chicken and sweet potato). And thirdly my mouth gets twitchy at random moments during the day. All of which are signs of hypoglycemia. But I already eat at fairly low glycemic levels, so who knows. I do love a good mystery!
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Good luck go2grrl. It sounds like the same type of situation as me. I already eat low glycemic and that got rid of most of the problems, but then every now and then it creeps back in at times when I'm not really expecting it! It's not terribly often, just more often lately than it has been so maybe once a week to once every two weeks I have a moment. I have hashimoto's so every now and then I can have low days even though my thyroid levels are normal. As long as most days are good days, I can't complain. it may not be related to Hashimoto's I was just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.

Good luck and hope you find answers!