how bout ice fishing?

Mistyblu08
Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
anyone have any stories there? Burn some good calories chasing after tip-ups :)

Replies

• kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Just joined the group, and know ice fishing season is pretty much over.(though 18" of ice was reported on one of our local lakes two days ago). This happened this year at a ice fishing tourney in South Dakota:

Me and my two brothers were participating in a walleye tournament. It was a little later in the day, close to weigh-in, and the Northern Pike kind of took over the channel we were fishing over. All of a sudden my bobber goes under. So I run over to it and start pulling it up. Next thing you know, the hole on the other side of the permanent ice shack starts going under. My brother runs to it and starts pulling it up, right about the time I have my hand on the pike in the hole. Well, the in my had pulls away and disappears down hole. I start cursing, cause I missed it. I look over and my brother is pulling a pike through the ice and he starts laughing. I ask him what's so funny. As it turns out, he wasn't even hooked into his fish. It was actually the fish I just caught, he was just tangled up in the other line.
    So, we get back to fishing. Our 5 gallon pail is full of Northern, so much that the one we caught twice is splashing everyone in the ice shack. All of a sudden, the pike at the top of the bucket(one we caught twice) jumps out of the bucket, straight down one of the holes. Dangit!
    Outside of the shack, we had tip-up reels all around our ice shack. Not even 5 seconds after the pike jumped back into the lake, one of the tip-ups flag goes up. My other brother runs out and pulls it in. I look at the other one and say, 'wouldn't that be crazy, if that was the fish we just had?!' My brother opens the door of the shack, walks in. Not only was it the same size as the one that jumped out of our bucket, but, it had a hole in it's lip, exactly where we caught the other one!
    So, this winter we had a Northern Pike, that me and my two brothers all caught in the same day! Pretty sure with three chubs in it's belly it died happy at least!