Recipes

Options
Do any of you have any recipes you'd like to share?

I made chicken tortilla soup (minus the tortilla part) the other night that was delish--
Half of an onion sauteed in your stock pot with a little olive oil
Add in one package of chicken breast, cubed....cook thoroughly
Season with chili powder, garlic, and cumin (I don't measure, but I do pretty much coat the chicken with the chili powder)
Add in one can of diced tomatoes and their juice
One box (or two cans) of chicken broth

You can add real chilis, cilantro, cheddar cheese, whatever else you want!

Replies

• AnnaNoel_21
    AnnaNoel_21 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've put multiple links on the stickied "what is the 17 DD" that has tons of recipes.
  • s_martin210
    s_martin210 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love this link for recipes (http://17ddgal.blogspot.com/?m=1). The lady who runs the blog was featured in the newest 17DD book. She lost 100 pounds on the diet without excercise.

I hope it's as useful to you as it has been for me.

Good luck.
  • moveitmoveit
    moveitmoveit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My first recipe is for yogurt. All those little cartons add up really fast, you know? And making it is super simple.

Homemade Yogurt

1/2 gal whole milk
    1/2 c powdered milk
    8 ounces live culture Greek yogurt
    3 qt Crockpot
    Accurate kitchen thermometer
    Immersion blender(optional)

Pour milk into crockpot. Blend in dry milk really well. Cover and cook on low until 180 degrees. This is to pasteurize the milk so the yogurt bacteria don't have to compete. Turn off crockpot. Cool with lid on until it reaches 110 degrees(or so). Takes about three hours. Thoroughly blend in live yogurt. Cover, drape crockpot with three heavy towels. In three hours, plugin crockpot(still covered in towels, so be careful and pay attention) and heat on low 10 minutes. Unplug and let sit undisturbed at least 8 hours. Then place the crock(with lid) in the refrigerator to chill. In another four hours or so, decant into a large sealable container.

Typically, when I start this process, I do it about 10am. By the time I heat it up, cool it off, etc, I'm ready to leave it overnight. About 8 am the next morning, I stick the ceramic crock in the refrigerator to chill. It's supposed to last three weeks or so, but I make a new batch every 8-10 days. I eat a cup a day, and use the rest to make dip and yogurt dressings, plus I save the last cup to make my next batch. Costs me about $1.67 with electricity to make 1/2 gal of yogurt. I sweeten it with 2 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon, or 1/2 cup berries. It's delicious, and my kids would love to eat it three meals a day! :)
  • LisaLou009
    LisaLou009 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I made this Parmesan Grilled Tilapia last night and it was really good. I made it C1 friendly by eliminating the butter and substituting plain greek yogurt for the mayo. Rave reviews by hubby.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/healthier-broiled-tilapia-parmesan/detail.aspx
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made yogurt cheese by putting yogurt in fine strainer and setting on a bowl. In 24 hrs it had reduced size by half. I added dill and plan to use it as a dip for veggies. Also, plan to spread it on smoked salmon for bfast. Recipe was in 17 DD cookbook. I also make salad dressing by adding dill and mustard to yogurt . Really great with chicken and tuna.
  • moveitmoveit
    moveitmoveit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ooh! I love the full fat version- can't wait to try this!