Squatting form and shoulder flexibility

Options
So yesterday was day 1, Workout A for me. WOW! I love this program already. So simple, yet such a solid workout. Given that I haven't done a real squat with any weight at all for a long time, even just using the bar was a good workout.

I can tell my form needs some work, and at some point I might post a video and ask for suggestions.

But, first of all I can feel (and see in the mirror while squatting) that the bar isn't as low as suggested, and my shoulders just aren't flexible enough to grip the bar properly.

Any suggestions for shoulder stretches that will help?

Thanks!
Lowell

Replies

• jeadie78
    jeadie78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mehdi has a shoulder dislocation stretch on the SL website. It has helped me (in a short time) be able to be mostly comfortable with the low bar position.

http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/
  • AndyStanford
    AndyStanford Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My first session was Dec 28th, and I felt exactly the same way as you.

Managed last week ok, but I've been really ill this week (fever etc), so no gym visits yet this week. Hoping to do session 5 tomorrow.
  • Huskychemist
    Huskychemist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for your feedback. I need to look for a band at my gym (I workout at my school gym where I teach). I don't think I have enough flexibility right now to use a broomstick for that maneuver, even with my hands way out.

Any other exercises besides Mehdi's dislocations would be helpful too.

Thanks.
    Lowell
  • ox45
    ox45 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The dislocation stretches worked wonders for me! I had to start off with a hockey stick because the broomstick wasn't long enough. It literally only took a few days to get flexibility up enough to use the broomstick, and only a few weeks to get it to the point where holding the bar was not an issue. I do have to admit though, it is a strange feeling when you first start. I had to get past the mental roadblock more than the physical limitation.
  • Huskychemist
    Huskychemist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that feedback, I appreciate it. I did my workout B today, and while doing squats I took time to do the dislocation stretches during my rest periods. I started with a band, and when I got over the mental roadblock you mentioned, I went to a 'broomstick' that was in our weight room. I had to go way out (probably about like a hockey stick), but I was able to rotate over to the back. I'm just going to keep at it each time I do a workout to see what happens.

When I was doing my squats, I could definitely tell that I couldn't get the bar as far down the back - by the scapula, as Mehdi mentions - as I'm supposed to, and my grip isn't correct because of it.

That said, today felt so much better than day 1. It's early in the process for me, but I'm incredibly happy with the StrongLifts 5X5 program.

Thanks again to all of you for the ideas and support.

Lowell