kombu, wakame, and miso

Options
caribougal
caribougal Posts: 865 Member
I'm full of questions today because I'm updating my order for my weekly organic grocery delivery and branching my order out a bit.

I love miso soup, and I find it a great and filling breakfast alternative on cold days, and it has good gut bacteria in it when it's unpasteurized. Since I don't want the regular kind with soy sauce and tofu, I am going to start making my own Paleo version.

I'm ordering unpasteurized miso for my delivery, but I can choose from:
- Mellow white
- Sweet white
- Red
All three have the EXACT same ingredients: Organic Whole Soybeans, Organic Handmade Rice Koji, Sun-Dried Sea Salt, Blue Ridge Mountain Well Water, Koji Spores.

Any reason to pick one flavor over the others, for you Miso experts out there?

Ok, now they also have Kombu sea vegetable and Wakame seaweed flakes. I'm familiar with Wakame, but not Kombu. Would you put that in Miso soup???

Killer nutritional profile, especially for Wakame.

Replies

• SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Red miso is strong and intense, white is the mellow miso that we know in most miso soups.

Wakame is the seaweed in miso soup. Do not do kombu in miso soup! I tried it once and it's a fail. I don't believe it's meant to be eaten as it's tough and kinda slimy, but it's wonderful to flavor broths with.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just changed my order to white miso.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    No prob! I love miso soup and usually make it quite a bit, but can't right now with the whole30. I always keep miso paste around because there are SO many ways you can use it. It's great in dressings, and can also be rubbed on salmon or tuna steaks.. Yum!