Diameter/Finish

Options
mllst18
mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
I'm going to be getting an xpole as soon as my hubby and I move (in about 2 months). I def. want an xpole, but I'm not really sure what diameter and finish to get. Could you guys tell me what you have/use and what your thoughts are about it? I have only used the 45 mm and I think it was the brass finish but most of the finish has rubbed off. I have really large hands, too. This is what it says on xpole about it:

What is the difference in pole finishes?

Brass - solid brass with enhanced grip
Titanium Gold - electronically coated to enhance grip
Chrome - most popular & best for general use
Stainless Steel - best for those with sensitive skin

What is the difference in pole diameters (thickness)?

40mm (1.5in) - slimmest pole yet and great for small hands
45mm (1.75in) - easy to grip with your hands and used in worldwide competitions
50mm (2in) - best grip for leg holds & inversions

THANK YOU! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lori_en
    lori_en Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Mine's a chrome pole and I think it's either 40 mm or 45... I know it's thinner than the one I use in class as I have more difficulty wrapping my fingers around the one in class than I do at home!

To be honest if you have large hands, I highly doubt it would matter so much which thickness it is unless you have really small hands! :ohwell:
  • mllst18
    Options
    Lori,

I think I would probably like the 40mm better, but I've never tried one so I'm a little hesitant to get one without knowing....Do you find it easier to do moves on your pole as opposed to when you go to your classes on the 45? What do you think of your finish?
  • lori_en
    Options
    Well Chrome is the only finish I've ever used, so I have nothing to compare it with. It can go from being not grippy at all when it's cold, to being super grippy when it's warmed up.

I'm a bit 50/50 in terms of what is more difficult to do moves on... I think my pole is easier when it comes to moves like the split grip butterfly as it's easier to wrap my fingers round and get better grip, but I think the pole at my class is less painful for moves that involve sits or planks.

Other than that, they're pretty much the same
  • mllst18
    Options
    Hmmm.....that's definitely a good thing to know! Wonder why it's easier to do sits and planks on the thicker one? More surface area to stick to your body?
  • lori_en
    Options
    That's what I was thinking, it must be! :ohwell:
  • mllst18
    Options
    Thanks for indulging me! People in this group don't seem to be very active...
  • faeofthedark
    faeofthedark Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I got a 45mm Titanium Gold xpole just before Christmas and I actually don't find it more grippy than the chrome 45mm we use in class, don't know why but I do have quite sweaty hands so maybe that. Never tried 40 or 50mm so I can't really help with that.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I have a 50mm titanium gold. I tried a 45mm chrome, but that was a few years ago, just a lil trial class doing mostly spins and floor work, so I cant really compare the two.

But Im happy with the pole I have. I chose it because I read on the site about titanium being better grip, and went with the 50mm cuz I want to get advanced with tricks and thought having easier leg holds would be more helpful to me the having a better hand grip cuz I figured hand grips would come more easier for me. Id recommend it, but its all really just personal preference. Id probably feel a bit awkward for a while using a 40mm now that Im used to my 50.
  • FH36251
    FH36251 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Chrome and 45 for me, every time!

We bought my instructor a 40 for Xmas, and flipping heck, it's AMAZING!!!!!!! shoulder mounts, ballerinas, scorpio's - pain free and so easy!!! I'd imagine trickier for leg holds, but it is abso-blimming-lutely lovely to use.

However, i wouldn't use one as my main trianing pole ATM as 45's are the main competition poles, and are generally (i feel) the most versatile all-rounder size. I don't mind using a 50, but mush prefer a 45.

HTH!!

axx
  • FH36251
    FH36251 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh, a quick one - I'd never recommend steel. It takes forever to warm up. Brrr.
  • mllst18
    Options
    I got a 45mm Titanium Gold xpole just before Christmas and I actually don't find it more grippy than the chrome 45mm we use in class, don't know why but I do have quite sweaty hands so maybe that. Never tried 40 or 50mm so I can't really help with that.

thanks! i think the general consensus is the 45mm
  • mllst18
    Options
    Oh, a quick one - I'd never recommend steel. It takes forever to warm up. Brrr.

haha thanks! Good to know!
  • mllst18
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input! I think i'll probably be going with a 45mm chrome since I want to (eventually) be able to do stuff with leg holds and all that. Thank you all :flowerforyou:
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Yeah I use 40 mm because my hands aren't that big, but 45 mm is best in case you end up doing competitions one day.
  • mllst18
    Options
    45 mm is best in case you end up doing competitions one day.

haha! I wish! lol :laugh:
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think what you decided on is the best be in my opinion. I have a 45mm chrome x pole and I love it!! We used 40mm in our class because our instructor wanted poles that would also fit small hands, but the 45 wasn't much different to me.