NROLFW: What would you do after a hiatus?

Val_from_OH
Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
Hi all - I was working through NROLFW last year. It took me much longer than expected to finish Stage 5, and then I took about 6 weeks off to get throught the holidays and 3 birthdays!

In 2013, I was going to switch to cardio only, since I am not getting the fat loss results that I desire from lifting. However, I stepped back into the gym last night, and the squat rack was calling my name! I'm going to have to figure out a way to lift and do more cardio.

So what would you do now? Start NR4W Stage 6? Repeat Stage 5? Start again from the beginning? Or move on to a new program?

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,106 Member
    If I were you, I would start at Stage 4 and go through Stage 4, 5, 6 and 7.

I am SO glad to read you didn't fall into the endless-cardio TRAP! Go lift heavy things. Monitor your calories to make sure you *are* in a deficit. And, make sure you are properly getting rest and permitting muscle recovery!

It'll be great!

(PS - I followed NROL4W with NROL4Abs and now I'm doing Venus index!)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Hi all - I was working through NROLFW last year. It took me much longer than expected to finish Stage 5, and then I took about 6 weeks off to get throught the holidays and 3 birthdays!

In 2013, I was going to switch to cardio only, since I am not getting the fat loss results that I desire from lifting. However, I stepped back into the gym last night, and the squat rack was calling my name! I'm going to have to figure out a way to lift and do more cardio.

So what would you do now? Start NR4W Stage 6? Repeat Stage 5? Start again from the beginning? Or move on to a new program?

My favorite Stage was 4, so if I got caught up I'd go back there to stay motivated. If you like stage 5 more go back to the beginning of that. After 6 weeks you shouldn't get straight into stage 6, it may end up disheartening becasue after 6 weeks you'll see a slight strength loss. As far as fat loss goes, are you using the caloric calculator in the book or a mfp setting?
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    @Beeps2011 Curious on your thoughts the Venus Index and comparison between the NR program????

OP I agree with the previous advice, I would also add that I supplement NR with interval training after every workout (when possible). I try to get in 15-20 minutes after I lift. It gives me extra calories to play around with on a regular basis. You may also need to experiment with calories to figure out your sweet spot for lifting and losing.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    I agree. Re-start at Stage 4 and work your way back through the rest of the stages. You definitely need some strength and endurance to get through Stages 6 and 7. They're both intense.
  • Val_from_OH
    Thanks everyone, that sounds like good advice. I liked stage 4, so that will be a good starting point.

I'm not sure what to do about the calorie/fat burn situation. MFP puts me at 1460, and New Rules was around 1700, so with a 300 calorie deficit, I ended up right back at 1400. But I am not losing ANYTHING at all at that calorie level. Not inches either - I think my body is quite comfortable with all this fatness...
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Thanks everyone, that sounds like good advice. I liked stage 4, so that will be a good starting point.

I'm not sure what to do about the calorie/fat burn situation. MFP puts me at 1460, and New Rules was around 1700, so with a 300 calorie deficit, I ended up right back at 1400. But I am not losing ANYTHING at all at that calorie level. Not inches either - I think my body is quite comfortable with all this fatness...

NROL did not give me nearly enough calories. My fitbit and my HRM give me about 500 calories MORE per day. Perhaps you're not eating enough? It's possible to stop losing weight because you're eating too little.
  • Val_from_OH

NROL did not give me nearly enough calories. My fitbit and my HRM give me about 500 calories MORE per day. Perhaps you're not eating enough? It's possible to stop losing weight because you're eating too little.

At the risk of sounding uneducated... how does your HRM tell you how much to eat per day? I have a Polar FR7, and as best I can tell, it only calculates what I burn while working out. Did you wear yours for an entire day?
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member

At the risk of sounding uneducated... how does your HRM tell you how much to eat per day? I have a Polar FR7, and as best I can tell, it only calculates what I burn while working out. Did you wear yours for an entire day?

My fitbit tells me how much I burn per day. I use the HRM for strength training and add those calories to fitbit's website since fitbit doesn't track weight lifting. My observation is that most women (including myself) tend to drastically underestimate how active they are outside of exercise. I would highly recommend getting a fitbit or a body media fit to help you figure out how much you burn per day! Don't be afraid to eat a bit more and see if you lose inches/pounds!