Week 5 workout 2 - then jump to 20 minutes??

Options
matawna
matawna Posts: 27 Member
I can finally run 8 minutes then walk, then do 8 again - I can't even imagine jumping to a 20 minute straight run. I was thinking it should be more like a 10 run, with a walk inbetween! How do you make that big leap and how many weeks at 5 did it take you?

Replies

• xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Ah, the wonderful W5D3! You make it with sheer willpower. I think you will surprise yourself and do it the first time. You just push right through.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Ah, the wonderful W5D3! You make it with sheer willpower. I think you will surprise yourself and do it the first time. You just push right through.

^This. It's mostly mental. You really are physically ready, you just need to talk your mind into it. Once you get past it, you no longer have that apprehension about running nonstop.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    The jump to 20 minutes wasn't nearly as horrifying as I'd built it up to be in my head. Just take it at an easy pace and you'll be able to do it! Make like Dory and just keep running, just keep running, running, running,... :smile:
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a mental challenge, rather than a physical one. It scares everyone. You can do this. Take it slow, concentrate hard on your music, anything to take your mind off your moving legs.
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I did W5D2 today (just came back in about half an hour ago, actually) and will be doing day 3 on Friday or Saturday. I'm thinking of it like this... today I did 16 minutes of running with a bit of walking in the middle. All I'm doing on the next day is replacing the walking with an extra 4 minutes of running. At a nice slow pace, no problem. I can do 4 more minutes. :o)
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Good luck! It was tough for me, but I did do it. I'm having a tough time with week 6 now and will choose to repeat the week, but no matter the outcome, they are right... it's a mental challenge. For me also a physical one in big ways, but a whole lot more in my head. No matter what, the hardest step is always the first one out the door (or on a moving treadmill).
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bwahahahaha! Yes! Week 5 is some special kind of hell! LOL. But you know what?

YOU CAN DO IT!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'll repeat what everyone is saying - it is all mental. We were all terrified when W5D3 popped up in our training app. When I was doing it, I kept thinking "Wow, this isn't that bad. It isn't awesomesauce, but this is doable". When I was done one would think I had climbed Everestt I felt so accomplished. It is amazing what our bodies can do for us.

You've been running for 5 weeks now. You can do this.

:happy:
  • distractedmom
    Options
    I've done the C25K twice...and yes, it is terrifying. Get some good music, or even an audiobook and DON"T think about it. As everyone has said, it's all mental.
    I'm back on Week 2, day 2. I haven't run in ages. That 90 seconds is intimidating to me, so I imagine Jillian yelling at me. ;)
    Good luck!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    This far into the program, you are so ready for 20 minutes. Its truly an amazing feeling when you finish that work out.
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    Just to agree with what everyone is saying - when I first saw that 20 mins I nearly died - wth??? I managed to build it up to something big a scarey and completely mad - but you know what, once you get going you will be fine - you can do it, your body is ready, you just need to convince your mind of that :-) It is perfectly possible - all of us who've made it through have done it and it really isn't so bad at all - the first 5-10 mins of any run are the worst - with the short intervals you never get past the pain!!! With this you'll find how it is to get past that and to just go with it. Just enjoy it! Small confession - the first time I did it I actually burst into tears - I did the same the first time I hit 5k and again at 10k lol :-)
  • pwicke
    pwicke Posts: 29
    Options
    All I'm doing on the next day is replacing the walking with an extra 4 minutes of running. At a nice slow pace, no problem. I can do 4 more minutes. :o)

This is how I am looking at it too. I did w5d2 2x this week and will do w5d3 prob Friday night due to lack of a sitter! Its all mental.
  • toddka1
    toddka1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT! Don't let the mental win over the physical!

It was pouring down rain the day I ran the W5D3, so I had to complete it on the treadmill. But, I did it without stopping and even sped up the pace for the last 4 minutes. It is not as scary as you think or make it out to be. Just keep jogging and slow the pace down a little if you need to.

I just completed W6D2 and W6D3 is equally as challenging, but I'm looking forward to celebrating my success when I accomplish that activity.

:smile:
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You will be surprised but you CAN do it! I was mentally preparing myself to NOT be able to do it but was definitely surprised when I was able to push through the entire 20 minutes and probably could have kept going ;)
  • BabyFishMouth
    BabyFishMouth Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm terrified, too. I start W5 tomorrow and I can't imagine making that big of a leap. But, thanks to this community, I keep seeing so many people who felt the same way I do, but they made it. I'm so encouraged I can't even believe it. I was practically in tears on Friday when I looked at what next week had in store, but I feel much better now and I'm going to give it my best shot. I'm almost looking forward to seeing what I can do. Almost.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Definitly mental. The first time I did it, I made it to 20 minutes and kept on going for a few more. You can do it!
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This is reassuring. I will do W5D3 tomorrow and I was starting to freak out about it!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I just did it yesterday. I think it's about pace. I was struggling with 5 minutes for awhile. Then all of a sudden, the slow down advice clicked in my head. I thought I was going slow, but I wasn't. I did W5D2 Friday, then W5D3 Sunday no problem. I even felt like I could have gone farther. You can do it!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm mad that I read this. I haven't looked ahead at what I am doing. I just put the app on and get it done. Make's it a bit easier because I'm not focusing on what I can or cannot do, I'm just doing it. Some days are harder than others but I just go.