Inspiration

Options

Replies

• lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without

If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change

The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared

Bhuddist quotes :smile:
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    This came through the post at work this morning, and I rather like it:

"The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view" - Albert Einstein

A favourite of mine:

"Le coeur a ses raisons, que le raison ne connait point" (The heart has it's reasons, whereof reason knows nothing) - Pascal

and

"The ability to love, whether or not reciprocated, is the greatest gift of all"
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    This came through the post at work this morning, and I rather like it:

"The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view" - Albert Einstein

A favourite of mine:

"Le coeur a ses raisons, que le raison ne connait point" (The heart has it's reasons, whereof reason knows nothing) - Pascal

and

"The ability to love, whether or not reciprocated, is the greatest gift of all"

Love all them but especially the last.
  • castadiva
    Options
    And another, which I posted in the thread about Gibran, but seems appropriate here also.

The Desiderata

"Go placidly amidst the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its shams, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.
    Strive to be happy. "
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    So not to be a negative nancy here, but why do people need arbitrary quotes from arbitrary people in order to be inspired.

Just live how you want to live?

Oh i got one....

"Live how you want to live, and stop ****ing around with bull**** quotes on the internet"

- Zach Ward
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    So not to be a negative nancy here, but why do people need arbitrary quotes from arbitrary people in order to be inspired.

Oh i got one....

"Live how you want to live, and stop ****ing around with bull**** quotes on the internet"

- Zach Ward

Live and let live.......
  • castadiva
    Options

Oh i got one....

- Zach Ward

Because "It's the hardest thing in the world--to do what we want. And it takes the greatest kind of courage. I mean, what we really want.”
    ― Ayn Rand

And just maybe someone will find something here that sparks that courage in them. 'Tisn't hurting you, so back off, or leave the thread - if you don't like it, you needn't read. An inspiration thread is hardly the place for those who want to rain on others' parades.
  • zachatta
    Options

Oh i got one....

- Zach Ward

Because "It's the hardest thing in the world--to do what we want. And it takes the greatest kind of courage. I mean, what we really want.”
    ― Ayn Rand

And just maybe someone will find something here that sparks that courage in them. 'Tisn't hurting you, so back off, or leave the thread - if you don't like it, you needn't read. I have no time for those who want to rain on others' parades.

This is a fair point, and also the post above me. I should live and let live as well I suppose. It was more of a question at the mindset of why people need these.

However, if you need random quotes to get motivated, I can't imagine your motivation lasting that long/ or even being legitimate in the first place.

However, I concede that is a fair point, continue with your quotes.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

Oh i got one....

- Zach Ward

― Ayn Rand

And just maybe someone will find something here that sparks that courage in them. 'Tisn't hurting you, so back off, or leave the thread - if you don't like it, you needn't read. I have no time for those who want to rain on others' parades.

This is a fair point, and also the post above me. I should live and let live as well I suppose. It was more of a question at the mindset of why people need these.

However, if you need random quotes to get motivated, I can't imagine your motivation lasting that long/ or even being legitimate in the first place.

No one NEEDS them. They serve as a reminder. It's like when you have a really horrible day and then you read a story on the news about how a fireman saved a litter of kittens from certain doom. It just makes everything better. It's about remembering that's there are good and wonderful things in the world, that remind us we can do that too. It's your friend telling you a joke to cheer you up. It's that moment of "Oh yeah..." that get you excited. It's the "on your mark, get set, GO" at the beginning of the race.

It's just nice.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options

Zach...why do I "need" random quotes? Why do you feel the need to question and debate everything and suck the joy out of this thread?

I find inspiration and comfort from this because all wisdom does not live inside me and there are beautiful and insightful people out there who have already learned much of what I also need to about life and themselves.

YOU may have your life together with all the inspiration, get-up-and-go, motivation, direction and perspective you need, but I certainly do not. And with the people in my life and experiences I have had, not to mention the emotional challenges of late (see original post).. I think gaining some inspiration from some notable and influential minds (I'm not picking quotes from Kim Kardashian here) is far better than eating my feelings and crying myself to sleep or endlessly wallowing in anxiety and self-pity - ie. my general coping skills.

To be honest also..if you see vulnerability and looking for inspiration as weakness and that we (humanity in general) have nothing to learn from each other, then I feel very sorry for you.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    If you have a minute to watch this, here are a few Winston Churchill quotes for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSP3IjH2cAg&t=0m46s
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    If you have a minute to watch this, here are a few Winston Churchill quotes for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSP3IjH2cAg&t=0m46s

LOVE HIM. Thank you for this. I was getting quite pissed off - perfect break.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    398157_478739225495356_125120544_n.jpg
  • Rannd1
    Rannd1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't claim to be a Apple fan boy because I've been a follower of Steve Jobs since the 90's... but there is one quote in this quick youtube link that makes you feel like you can do anything you want to do... career change, move across country, or even lose a ton of weight with eating choices.

You will have to copy and paste this, it should start the video a few seconds after intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kYfNvmF0Bqw#t=14s
  • lkarbosky
    Options
    I don't usually contribute, but I liked this thread and had a quote that inspires me.

"Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it."
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    "One who thinks by the inch but talks by the yard deserves to be kicked by the foot"
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I don't usually contribute, but I liked this thread and had a quote that inspires me.

"Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it."

I like that one! Definitely true!
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

Bow chika bow wow.
  • zachatta
    Options
    Just noticed this.
    Zach...why do I "need" random quotes? Why do you feel the need to question and debate everything and suck the joy out of this thread?

I find inspiration and comfort from this because all wisdom does not live inside me and there are beautiful and insightful people out there who have already learned much of what I also need to about life and themselves.

YOU may have your life together with all the inspiration, get-up-and-go, motivation, direction and perspective you need, but I certainly do not. And with the people in my life and experiences I have had, not to mention the emotional challenges of late (see original post).. I think gaining some inspiration from some notable and influential minds (I'm not picking quotes from Kim Kardashian here) is far better than eating my feelings and crying myself to sleep or endlessly wallowing in anxiety and self-pity - ie. my general coping skills.

I don't debate everything, and I do not suck the joy out of every thread. Inspiration comes from within, and only comes from within. Some random saying from someone else will not generate any long term motivation. Just set a goal, and go get it.
    To be honest also..if you see vulnerability and looking for inspiration as weakness and that we (humanity in general) have nothing to learn from each other, then I feel very sorry for you.

With this it seems you have interpreted my inquiry as a personal attack against your quote thread, it isn't. It just makes me sad as an individual that people just cannot do. They need some type of permission, or validation from some quote to go make themselves who they are.

While yes obviously you can learn from people in the past, parroting quotes and never actually motivating yourself to accomplish your goals is absolutely worthless.
    YOU may have your life together with all the inspiration, get-up-and-go, motivation, direction and perspective you need, but I certainly do not

Also to note, a quote will never fix this only you will. Maybe instead of pitying me, you should work on your motivation.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    @Zach - I think people inspire each other every day. We feed off each other in life. So whether it be through words - books, quotes - actions - losing weight - art, nature, overcoming adversity............. whatever......... people inspire me and push me on to achieve those goals. Sure it comes form within, but without people, what would be the point?

Your back inspires me, and your V!! Hell, the whole MFP community is there for inspiration, is it not? Why did you join?

So, not quite sure why quotes are any different. It's just some dude somewhere voicing his/her thoughts on life, usually in a more 'poetic' way that I'm capable of articulating. And those words may or may not ring true for me/ someone. Just like advice/comments in a thread......you take it or leave it :flowerforyou: