Change doseage gain weight...???

Options
3 months ago was diagnosed with Hypo thyroid, doc put me on low dose 25mg and I gained about 10 pounds the first 2 weeks, up to this point i was losing about 2 punds a week....it finally leveled back to losing after a month...now the doc up'd my dosage to 50 mg and I am again gaining weight...shouldn't the scale be going the other way???

Replies

• Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, that is one of those doctor lies. “As soon as your levels get on track, the weight will start to come off.” Even if this is true, it never comes off as quickly as those 20 pounds in a month came on! The problem is your thyroid regulates your metabolism. It takes a while for things to get back to “normal” and there is a learning curve associated with that.

Don’t get discouraged, 3 months in the thyroid world is not a lot of time to see change.

My personal experiences:
    I have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis so every now and then I have to up my levels. It is a constant battle with your metabolism to find what works. When my levels get back to normal, sometimes I end up eating more because I feel more energetic and start eating more so there is an initial weight gain after my levels get back in check. Using myfitnesspal can help you notice those trends.

For more specific information check out Mary Shoman’s information on Losing Weight with Hypothyroidism: http://thyroid.about.com/cs/dietweightloss/a/losingweight.htm
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    3 months ago was diagnosed with Hypo thyroid, doc put me on low dose 25mg and I gained about 10 pounds the first 2 weeks, up to this point i was losing about 2 punds a week....it finally leveled back to losing after a month...now the doc up'd my dosage to 50 mg and I am again gaining weight...shouldn't the scale be going the other way???

Is your doctor testing your free T3 and frree T4 levels, or just your TSH?

I'm wondering if you're low in some vitamins and minerals, which are essential for the thyroid hormones to work, especially if you're on a T4-only medication like Synthroid or Levothyroxine. In particular I'm thinking your Vit D levels - I would get those tested. The recommendation for thyroid patients is in the 60-80 range - so you want the levels to be optimal, and not just 'within normal range". I'm currently taking 4000 IUI daily to bring mine up from 41!

Other critical levels are iron, ferritin (essentially your iron stores), selenium, iodine, and Vit B12.

Just because you're taking meds doesn't mean you aren't still hypothyroid. And as the PP said, once your levels are managed it doesn't mean it will melt off, but it should get you back to being able to lose appropriate to your exercise and dietary schedule.

I would push to have, at minimum, your free T3, free T4, and Vit D tested.