Concerned about the HUGE calorie increase for NROL4W

labowser
labowser Posts: 21 Member
Hi, I am going to try the NROL4W program but I am nervous about how many calories is recommended each day. I slowly lost 10 pounds over the past year and am hesitant to add so many more calories to my diet. I would love to hear from others who have done the program and followed the calorie recommendation. Do you really maintain your weight eating that much food?

Replies

• Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    Stared the program on Monday and feel very nervous about the recommended calories so I decided to meet half way between MFP and NROLFW recommendations. I am using Scooby's Workshop calorie recomendation (Gain Muscle, Loose Fat)

MFP: 1340 + exercise calories
    Scooby's: 1470 + exercise calories
    NRLFW: 1600 on non work out days and 1800 on workout days.

I will reevaluate in 4 weeks and see if adjustment are needed.
  • labowser
    Thanks for your response! What is Scooby?
  • I was going to ask this very same question!
    Yes, what is Scooby? And how long have you been eating increased calories? I'm curious to see your outcome.

Has one completed the program with the higher calories and experienced results?
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    I'm going to start the program in Feb. when I'm done with Insanity, but the calorie requirements are nearly the same. I lost 6% body fat in my first month of Insanity, so it does work.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    The Scooby calculator was the most accurate one that I've found. I wear a BodyMedia so I have a really good idea of my TDEE. I realize that one of the "Rules" of the book is to eat more on workout days, so you would have to adjust your calories manually if you want to do that.
  • NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Non lifting days my cal intake is 1600 and lifting days my cal intake is 1966. Ive taken the slight decrease talked about in the book (I forget how it was worded...-200 or -300 cal maybe??). Ive still steadily lost weight and/or inches as Ive gone through the program. I am currently on Stage 6. My advice, play by the book for a minimum of 2 months and adjust as needed.
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    I am also interested to see how I shall fare eating more calories while doing NROF4W (Workout A1 tomorrow)! I think I will aim for around 1500 calories on lifting days (I have plenty of fat to lose) and see how I go in terms of hunger as to whether I need to eat more than that Currently, my daily eating is usually fairly low in terms of total calories, as I try to eat fairly cleanly - limited processed foods, mainly lean protein and non startchy veges, and a couple of serves of fruit a day, but I will be starting with a protein shake for afternoon tea (as my workouts will be after work) and will head home for dinner, which I can increase in size if I find I am hungry.
  • labowser
    That's awesome! So did your actual weight change at all when losing that body fat? Thanks for your feedback!
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    It really will depend on your goals, are you looking to build muscle or just keep what you have? You won't really see lots of gains in strength if you are eating too little. I would eat more on lifting days definitely.

I tend to eat between 1800-2300 usually, when I adhere to that I can drop weight but usually I eat more than that and gain. ;)
  • labowser
    I would like to gain muscle but I instantly put on weight when I go above 1800 calories for more than a day or two. I am impressed that you can lose weight at 1800-2300 calories. What is your calorie intake on non-lifting days?
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    I would like to gain muscle but I instantly put on weight when I go above 1800 calories for more than a day or two. I am impressed that you can lose weight at 1800-2300 calories. What is your calorie intake on non-lifting days?

Sounds like you may need to do a metabolic reset!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    I would gain at 1800 calories from not eating ENOUGH. Maybe you aren't eating enough as well? I eat 2600-3500 depending on the day. Have you checked out the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group?