Restarting C25K; with my 9 year old son.

Options
FitToFifty
FitToFifty Posts: 164 Member
I did the program last spring, and I made it through week 8. I remember being so surprised that I could run for 20 minutes that first time! However, I had some medical issues so my Dr. told me to stop running. I am restarting this week (I have already completed week 1 day 1) and my 9 year old son is doing it also. He agreed to run a race with me in the spring and is so excited about training for it. He has been talking about what type of weather he wants our race to be, what he wants to wear, etc. It's pretty awesome! He is very persistent about wanting to train - which is very exciting for me!

We are completing the program on the treadmill. I did the first day at a 2% incline and wow did it kick my butt! Last time I ran 2 out of 3 days a week on the treadmill but at a 0% incline so I wasn't prepared for running outside. Hopefully it goes easier taking it outside this time.

Replies

• xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! great that he is all excited about it.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Awesome, inspirational and heart-warming post. Love it. My son is 5, and rides his bike with training wheels while I run. He's a tough trainer "faster Mommy, faster!!!" Sounds like you'll be a great team, enjoy!
  • FitToFifty
    Options
    We took it outside today for WK1D2. My hubby, 6 year old, and puppy joined us. It was great. I got thinking at one point as we were grouped together, how proud I was that my overweight hubby and I were out there with our fit little boys. I am so excited about this goal. In fact, tonight my son has a slightly overweight 9 year old friend spending the night and he wants to run in one of the races we are going to do this summer.

I love that I am changing their attitudes about what we do for fun.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! More parents should be like you ladies.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!

My 10 year old son has told me that if I can run a 5k in a decent time by the time football season finishes in May he will come with me every Saturday morning to do the local Parkrun.
  • FitToFifty
    Options
    My 10 year old son has told me that if I can run a 5k in a decent time by the time football season finishes in May he will come with me every Saturday morning to do the local Parkrun.

I think that is an awesome goal!! :)