Starting NROLFW in a couple of weeks...very nervous

I am very much a beginner when it comes to strength training. I use the "barbie dumbbells" the author keeps talking about and that's about it, lol. I don't know how to lift anything heavy, or how the machines work. There are no personal trainers at my gym (I'm a Planet Fitness girl), and the weight section is always occupied by men who look far more experienced than I.

Is this book right for me? Can I become a self-taught lifter using it? How do I get over my fear of screwing up or looking stupid in front of the more experienced lifters?

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    You can definitely do this. Those guys in the weight room got those muscles by lifting free weights. If you consistently show up and lift free weights, you will earn their respect. We all started somewhere. It's weird because I was really nervous and self-conscious when I started this program, and now new people look at me like I'm intimidating when I'm in the weight room. I find that people who lift free weights aren't necessarily super social or chatty, but there is a lot of mutual respect and almost everyone is friendly. It seems like lifters just want to get in there lift, rest, lift and then go home.

The book tells you what to do and all you need to do is follow the instructions. I was scared when I started, but now that I'm doing the last stage, I am a real lifter.
  • NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    The absolute hardest workout out in the book is the very first one. The rest are a piece of cake in comparison. Put on your brave face...you got this. :wink:

PS - I found Youtube super helpful in trying to figure out some of the lifts. Also, JP Fitness Forums has been a fantastic resource.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Thank you both so much! I know I need to suck it up and just do it, I'm just so much more confident with cardio workouts than I am with strength. I'm sure I'll get over it, but I'm absolutely paralyzed with fear anytime I'm near the weight section.
  • NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    I know its hard. Honestly, the fear you experience during that very first workout is the very hardest part of this program. However, the feeling that rushes over you after you OWN it....oh buddy...its worth it. Why the heck do you think Im still here in Stage 6?