A1c Results, 4 months after Dx, type 2

Options
Gentyl
Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
September 11, 2012 (Diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and put on Metformin, 1000 mg, 2x per day)
A1c = 10.5
FBG = 317

January 11, 2013 (love that)
A1c = 5.0
FBG = 68

Also, all my lipids are very much improved. Even my HDLs went up dramatically (through diet alone). I was so happy to have received this news! I was very much worried about this test since I cheated so much on my diet during the holidays (especially Thanksgiving), not to mention all of the 'off plan' days as I got used to my new diet. I want to especially thank those who guided me to Dr. Richard Bernstein's book, 'The Diabetes Solution', which led me to the VLCHF diet.. it saved my life, utterly. The doctors did not think it possible and now they are referring the book to other diabetics! I thought that my lipid panel would take a hit, and it didn't! Everything is in the normal range, now, and I am hoping to even improve upon that.

So, thank you all for your patience, your grace, and your kindness most of all. I could not have been able to do this without you. Oh! And, I've also lost 44 pounds in these last 4 months. For whatever reason, my body just wants to return to normal. I still have 25 more pounds to go, and an exercise regime to begin in earnest, but I know that with your support, I can find it within me to continue, not just now, but for a lifetime, as I know that although they have taken me off of all medication (so happy), I am by no means cured. I'm still learning and adjusting. And, I know that I have many hurdles to face in the near future. I hope we can face them together, as we are all in this together. And, I hope that I can regain the good BGs now that I am off of the medication. It's proving to be a bit of a challenge.

Thanks, again, and God bless you.

Bree

Replies

• deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Awesome accomplishments. Cogratulations on a job well done.

:smile:
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Super results, Bree!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Big congrats for your hard work paying off in spades!
  • wcucats77
    wcucats77 Posts: 180
    Options
    Wow!!! Incredible numbers for your hard work. Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with exercise plan, it does make a tremendous difference.
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bree, That is amazing.. Well done and sending you a huge hug... Keep up the great work- I go back for my second A1C at the end of the month.. I am hoping my AC1 will be down as well..

I am so so happy for you.. :flowerforyou:
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Outstanding results in such a short period of time. Really amazing. Fantastic job taking on such a daunting task.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! I'm so happy for you, truly. You are amazing! I have no doubt you can keep it up. Keep going for it, one choice at a time!

Best!
  • mamajenb
    mamajenb Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    that is fantastic!
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    So pleased for you. I know how dedicated you have been.
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    That's excellent news, well done. It's always good to hear of the success of people in this group. We are all different and we may travel on different paths with varying degrees of success. What we have in common is a genuine desire to help and encourage each other. Thank you for sharing your story and I wish you continued success on your personal journey.
  • bobbiesinger6971
    Options
    Congrats on all your success. I love hearing about everyone's success. Thank you for sharing and keep up the fantastic job :-)
  • Gentyl
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone. I couldn't have done it without you, and I don't know that I'll be able to repeat this A1c now that I am off of medication. It's been quite the adventure. It's so good to know that I have your support, no matter what. You all definitely have mine. Always.

Bree
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a job well done. I know it is hard work, but it feels great when it pays off, doesn't it?

As far as being able to repeat the A1C now that you are off medication, it is very possible that you will be able to do just that. I was taken off medication in July 2011 with an A1C of 5.1 and that is where I have remained. Just keep doing what got you there and you should do great!

Congrats again!
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Bree -- that is an awesome accomplishment!!! :happy:

....btw, what is the VLCHF diet??
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vlchf+diet
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks Big- I had no idea what it was only that it was a diet :)
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work.
  • Gentyl
    Options

VLCHF diet stands for Very Low Carb High Fat (moderate protein) diet. I stumbled upon it the first time at http://www.diabetesforum.com

Within a week, my blood sugars came down from the 300s to the double digits. Interestingly enough, the weight just literally fell off. I had been trying to diet for so long with no real results. Without any exercise to speak of, within 4 months I lost over 40 pounds. I couldn't understand it. But, I researched and researched, trying to find an answer. I don't want to get technical here, but the research and the studies were fascinating.

Will I stay on this diet forever? I could as it gets much easier. The first few weeks were very difficult for me, I cheated a lot (still do). What kept me on it, kept me looking for recipes and alternatives, was the rapid weight loss and the normal blood sugars. I have about 25 pounds to go before I hit my goal weight, and I am beginning to exercise now. I'll reassess when I get closer to my goal weight.

Oh! One more thing: I am not on an Atkins diet as I consume only a moderate amount of protein.
  • Pammy820
    Pammy820 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    do you mind sharing some info with me about the diet.Like what do you eat mainly and what do you avoid? Also what is the book called??