Worst Breakfast Ever

Options
Angiemo3
Angiemo3 Posts: 20 Member
blah, 100% whole grain, steel cut oatmeal (25 min to cook) tastes like paper....even with cinnamon, vanilla, and strawberries......not even the nasty smelling flax seed flavored it. :(

went back and added more vanilla and more cinnamon, still awful!!!

Replies

• freindsofmine
    freindsofmine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to train your taste buds .all on good time find something else ,you don't have to eat that ,
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Try mixing it with cinnamon, jam (i like strawberry or blackberry) walnuts, and dark chocolate chips. Comes out tasting like a cookie :)
  • Angiemo3
    Angiemo3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try mixing it with cinnamon, jam (i like strawberry or blackberry) walnuts, and dark chocolate chips. Comes out tasting like a cookie :)

I am going to keep trying different stuff in it, I think I am just not used to not using butter :(. Plus the only kind of oatmeal I have ever ate was instant flavored, so this was really a shock. I saw somewhere that you can do honey too.
  • stormtruck2
    stormtruck2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love steel cut oats. I enjoy it plain. Most often though I add pine nuts, wanuts and dried cherries to it. If you don't want to wait twenty minutes for it to cook, you can put it in a small crock pot and slow cook it over night. Also you can make a large batch, cut it into meal size portions and frezze it then nuke it when you are ready to eat it. Personally I try to not nuke any of my food. I can't help but believe that nuking it destroys nutrients. Just my opinion though. That and $10 will get you a coffe at Starbucks. :laugh:
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you must eat the oatmeal? I never eat oatmeal and my breakfasts are delish! 2 oz breakfast meat (bacon, sausage, turkey patty or hamburger patty left over from dinner, something meat). Add 1/2 c kale and 1/2 c spinach. Throw in some red, yellow and orange peppers and onions (when I have all of these ingredients with me at work). I'd also rather not use the microwave but it's all I've got at work. Throw all the meat and veggies in a microwave safe bowl, crack the eggs on top and cook for 1 minute. Then in 15 second intervals until the eggs whites are done but the yolk is a little soft. Yum and No oatmeal!!
  • meredithfp
    meredithfp Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love steel cut oats! It's actually my indulgent breakfast. I put a couple teaspoons of brown sugar and 2 T of peanut butter mixed in. So good! I like the nutty crunch of steel cut but not so much rolled oats. When I'm not feeling so indulgent I call it good with a banana.
  • monkeybuddha
    monkeybuddha Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Keep trying, there's so many options with oatmeal you just need to find the right ones for you. I love it with a little maple syrup or honey or a spoonful of sugar free jam. Then thrown in some fruit (banana and blueberry's are my favourites) and maybe some nuts like almonds or walnuts.
  • doxeposse
    doxeposse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like my oatmeal mixed with a little milk and natural applesauce and a dash of cinnamon. YUM!!!