New to this

Options
umachanxo
umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
Hi all!

My husband and I have transitioned to "Clean" eating, which still has whole grains and pasta in our diet. I've been wanting to transition to Paleo for some time, but had to work on cutting out a lot of the processed foods that I would eat before.

Any tips for replacing whole grains or pasta?

Thank guys!

Also, looking for some friends.

Replies

• wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash makes for a decent pasta substitute - bake it until tender, shred with a fork and serve with your favorite sauce. I've also made eggplant lasagna without any noodles at all - I thinly slice eggplant, spray lightly with olive oil and roast for a few minutes each side to firm it up/dry it out a bit, then use the eggplant strips as noodles. (Lasagna uses dairy, so not paleo, but primal.) One other idea is to get a spiralizer and make faux noodles from zucchini.

Enjoy!!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    My main advice would be just start- replace rice etc with a veg for example I made butter chicken curry last night instead of rice I roasted some cauliflower - didnt miss the rice at all

also I've found that cooking new things that I wouldn't have made before mean I dont think about the grains sign up at marksdailyapple and there are some free cookbooks you can down load that may help
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    sweet potatoes,zucchini noodles,carrot noodles,sea kelp noodles,almond flour will make good paleo bread,coconut flour pancakes..lots of things out there and many,many websites with recipes.Also pintrest has got lots of paleo/primal recipes.
    good luck!
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I didn't replace so much as drop altogether. But if you're looking to actually replace, then the above is good stuff. I find spaghetti squash pretty delightful and there's a lot you can do with it.

However, the tendency some have to half-*kitten* paleo by using these more obscure flours to kind of "skirt the rules" is not beneficial, and they will not see the same results they would if they were actually eating paleo.