Weight training regimen - critique

Options
jha1223
jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
Here is what I have started with and wanted some discerning eyes on it. If the answer to this question is in a previous post (I scanned quickly), please just post a link and I'll read it. I'm willing to do the reading, just need a point in the right direction. The below was recommended as a starting point by a friend that is in insanely good shape (heavy lifter), but as a starting point for me. In advance, thank you very much.

Currently doing 15 minutes of elliptical at 60 rpms to warm up. Then the following. Its important to note that I am working UP to these numbers. I am at least 3 sets of everything, up to five of some and doing 10+ reps on each - save the crunches, I'm doing all of those. I'm not using Casein or Protein powder at this point, they are on the way though. I'm currently taking a One a Day, fish oil and Calcium.

Monday and Thursday

Crunches 2 sets of 15-20
Bench Press 6 sets of 15
Barbell Bent rows 6 sets of 15
Standing Barbell Presses 5 sets of 12
Barbell Revers Curls 3 sets 16
Barbell wrist curls 3 sets 15

Tuesday and Friday

Reverse Crunches 2 sets 10 - 15
Squats 6 sest 15
Stiff legged dead lifts 4 sets 12 *(These are hit and miss. I think my form needs work. Feeling lower back pain two sets in)
Standing Barbell curls 4 sets 12
Close Grip Bench Press 4 sets 12
Standing calf raises 4 sets of 10

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Here is what I have started with and wanted some discerning eyes on it. If the answer to this question is in a previous post (I scanned quickly), please just post a link and I'll read it. I'm willing to do the reading, just need a point in the right direction. The below was recommended as a starting point by a friend that is in insanely good shape (heavy lifter), but as a starting point for me. In advance, thank you very much.

Currently doing 15 minutes of elliptical at 60 rpms to warm up. Then the following. Its important to note that I am working UP to these numbers. I am at least 3 sets of everything, up to five of some and doing 10+ reps on each - save the crunches, I'm doing all of those. I'm not using Casein or Protein powder at this point, they are on the way though. I'm currently taking a One a Day, fish oil and Calcium.

Monday and Thursday

Crunches 2 sets of 15-20
    Bench Press 6 sets of 15

Tuesday and Friday

Squats 6 sest 15
    Stiff legged dead lifts 4 sets 12 *(These are hit and miss. I think my form needs work. Feeling lower back pain two sets in)

Maybe for first couple weeks to confirm you got good form.

But then, unless you are doing this for purpose of endurance, start increasing the weight as you will need to anyway, and lessen the reps.

Now, I do 2 x 15 because I know I have better endurance muscle, and in fact use it that way for endurance cardio events, so I indeed focus on that.

But for gaining strength beyond the initial time of getting good form, too many reps.

Though a lot of that is putting loads on the same muscle day after day.
    For instance, Monday pushing lifts using the triceps - Bench, Presses, that would be heavy weight.
    Now Tuesday, pushing using triceps again - close-grip Bench.

Monday pulling using biceps - Rows, curls.
    Tue pulling using biceps - curls.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Monday and Thursday

Crunches 2 sets of 15-20
    Bench Press 6 sets of 15

Tuesday and Friday

Squats 6 sest 15

What are your goals?
  • jha1223
    Options
    @heybales

Good points. Suggestions on how to improve/change? I am limited to a home weight set. Basic bench, bar, dumb and plates. I also have an elliptical that I use for my cardio. My feet can't handle running (maybe because of my weight)

@SideSteel

Now that is something I really should have addressed. Thanks for the question. My initial goal is to lose body fat and retain as much muscle as possible doing it. The last time I lost weight, I got down to 185 but didn't look very good because I was afraid of the weights. What's everyone say ... Look good naked. Right? I would like to get true strength, but at this very moment, I am most concerned with physical appearance.

Thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long have you been lifting for?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I'd check out this program assuming you are relatively new to weight lifting:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

It has you lifting 3/week full body with a planned linear progression. Add in cardio to your personal preference and eat at a caloric deficit. See macro info here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • jha1223
    Options

Weeks. So, treat it as completely new.
  • jha1223
    Options
    I'd check out this program assuming you are relatively new to weight lifting:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

It has you lifting 3/week full body with a planned linear progression. Add in cardio to your personal preference and eat at a caloric deficit. See macro info here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

My BMR is at 1825. My TDEE is at 2612. I'm currently using a 40/30/30 at 2089 calories per day (80% of TDEE). I am trying to eat my workout calories back. I know I really need to do that.

I looked at the link real quick. That is exactly what I needed. Progressive is great.

I hate to ask this but, do you just use a HRM during lifting to figure how to eat back your calories? I've done that with cardio, but a little foggy on the weights.

Thanks for the help so far!!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Actually if you're using the TDEE method I wouldn't eat back exercise calories. That's only for using MFP's default recommendations.

You are likely in a good spot eating at a flat ~2100ish --- at least, without doing any calculations that seems within reason.
  • jha1223
    Options
    Actually if you're using the TDEE method I wouldn't eat back exercise calories. That's only for using MFP's default recommendations.

You are likely in a good spot eating at a flat ~2100ish --- at least, without doing any calculations that seems within reason.

36 years old, 5'9", 199 lbs.

My TDEE for non workout days (desk job, six hours of sleep and about an hour "light activity") puts me at 2612. If I change that to add an hour for "working out" it tells me my TDEE 3162. I might be not understanding correctly. Very possible :)

I do not want to underfeed my body when putting it under the strain of weights and miss out on any gains. I was thinking, if an HRM is accurate for lifting, I'll just follow it for adding my calories back. My apologies if I am making this more difficult than it really is or should be.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Weeks. So, treat it as completely new.

The program SideSteel linked you to is a solid one (of course!).
  • SideSteel
    Options

36 years old, 5'9", 199 lbs.

My TDEE for non workout days (desk job, six hours of sleep and about an hour "light activity") puts me at 2612. If I change that to add an hour for "working out" it tells me my TDEE 3162. I might be not understanding correctly. Very possible :)

I do not want to underfeed my body when putting it under the strain of weights and miss out on any gains.

I see. I don't mean to complicate things but what method are you using to determine your TDEE?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I was thinking, if an HRM is accurate for lifting, I'll just follow it for adding my calories back. My apologies if I am making this more difficult than it really is or should be.

it's not at all, so unless just curious about what the HR is doing, don't use it for calorie counts, it'll be inflated.
  • jha1223
    Options
    [/quote]

I see. I don't mean to complicate things but what method are you using to determine your TDEE?
    [/quote]

IIFYM.com

Should I be using another tool?
  • jha1223
    Options
    I was thinking, if an HRM is accurate for lifting, I'll just follow it for adding my calories back. My apologies if I am making this more difficult than it really is or should be.

it's not at all, so unless just curious about what the HR is doing, don't use it for calorie counts, it'll be inflated.

Good to know. At least I can use it to keep me honest on times between sets :/
  • SideSteel
    Options

IIFYM.com

Should I be using another tool?

Not necessarily, I just wanted to determine how you arrived at your TDEE.
    You can certainly eat under your TDEE and use a different TDEE on workout days and rest days if that's your preference. (Based on what you've calculated you'd eat 20% under those TDEE values)

If you'd prefer to simplify things and eat a static amount daily, check the thread I linked above regarding calculating calories and macronutrients as the formula in that thread should spit out an average that combines rest/exercise, so you then just eat 20% under TDEE daily.

Either method is fine and ideally they should estimate a weekly total that is somewhat close to each other.
  • jha1223
    Options

Not necessarily, I just wanted to determine how you arrived at your TDEE.
    You can certainly eat under your TDEE and use a different TDEE on workout days and rest days if that's your preference. (Based on what you've calculated you'd eat 20% under those TDEE values)

If you'd prefer to simplify things and eat a static amount daily, check the thread I linked above regarding calculating calories and macronutrients as the formula in that thread should spit out an average that combines rest/exercise, so you then just eat 20% under TDEE daily.

Either method is fine and ideally they should estimate a weekly total that is somewhat close to each other.

That sounds a lot easier than changing based on the day. So my numbers came out like fairly close to where I was at. I do have to find a way to get more fat though.

Thanks for clearing all of that up. Off to give that workout a first spin.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I do have to find a way to get more fat though.

One word. Walnuts.
  • jha1223
    Options
    I do have to find a way to get more fat though.

One word. Walnuts.

I love sunflower seeds and almonds. Things is ... I LOVE smokehouse almonds. Dear lord they are just drenched in salt though. Double my water intake i guess :D
  • jha1223
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks again for all of the input/advice. Workout was good tonight. Most felt fairly easy, but I will follow the advice on adding reps and weight. Struggled a bit on curls, but I WILL get stronger. Very stoked about this guys/gals.

One last question until I get through the first cycle ... since the number I am using covers lifting calories, should I still add back cardio that is separate from lifting days or just leave it alone?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks again for all of the input/advice. Workout was good tonight. Most felt fairly easy, but I will follow the advice on adding reps and weight. Struggled a bit on curls, but I WILL get stronger. Very stoked about this guys/gals.
    It will feel easy for the first couple weeks. Wait until you get to the last couple weeks of the cycle (11-12 reps) - you'll be glad you started out light! I ran four cycles of AllPro's routine - it gets brutal toward the end of each cycle.
    ...One last question until I get through the first cycle ... since the number I am using covers lifting calories, should I still add back cardio that is separate from lifting days or just leave it alone?
    If you're doing a straight 20% cut from TDEE, I wouldn't eat back calories for cardio or weight training. If you determined your TDEE correctly, they're already accounted for.