Lifting...do it before or after cardio?

Options
Artemis751
Artemis751 Posts: 20 Member
Hi,
I have tried to research this topic but there are too many conflicting views ! I weight train about 4 times per week and like to fit some cardio (about 30-40 mins) around this. Does anyone have any views on whether to do the cardio before or after the weights please?
Cheers.

Replies

• erincampbell9
    erincampbell9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would like to know the answer to this question also. I have read many conflicting views also. Personally, right now I do my cardio after weight training. BUT I feel like I need to warm up more before hitting the weights...
  • Artemis751
    Options
    Yeah me too. I warm up for 10 mins on the cross trainer and then do my proper cardio work after the weights. I just wondered what any advantages/disadvantages were of this approach. :-)
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I lift before cardio. Since you use up the glycogen in your muscles while lifting weights, your body is more likely to switch to fat burning mode during cardio, due to the lack of available glycogen.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I still 5-10 minutes of warm up though. I don't count that as a cardio session. You can also do warm up sets for whatever muscle you are working instead, which is something I also do. Helps prevent injury.
  • Artemis751
    Options
    Thank you. This makes sense :-)
  • Jessm130
    Jessm130 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    yes, i do a warm up, then lift, then my 30-40 mins of cardio.. I was told by the trainers at the gym i go to, they said you will burn more that way.
  • CynthiaWinnie
    Options
    I do cardio 10-15 mins before lifting. Then combined lifting and cardio by doing super sets and keepping my heart rate up. No rest. Then on off lift days, I just do cardio. Run, Spin, anything to keep the heart rate up. The key is, do what works for you.
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I lift before cardio. There's no way I would have the energy to get through weight training if I did my cardio first.
  • bpitt34
    Options
    great question.. i was wondering the same.
    thanks
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I walk to the gym, which takes 35 minutes so that is my warm up. I think it depends what your goals are. Want to run faster or longer as a main goal? Do that first. Want to lift heavier with more reps? Do that first.
    I condense my workout so cram in a lot of intense exercises. I lift heavy first for 30 minutes then 2 x 10 minutes HIIT on the treadmill. If you're doing more than 20 minutes of cardio, you are wasting your time, unless you are training for a particular event. There is no reason to spend more than 20 minutes on an elliptical, work out so hard that you literally can't do more than 10/20 minutes
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I don't do both on the same days...but I would lift first. That way you don't wear yourself out doing cardio beforehand. I know a lot of others do this as well.
  • januadiaboli
    januadiaboli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm with butterfli7o ... I try not to do cardio on days that I'm lifting. It doesn't always work (much as I'd love it to), especially if I'm short on time and having to do weights on the same day I'm teaching a Zumba class ... then I make sure to do strength training first.