New Here!

Options
kr1stadee
kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
Hi!

I took my first women's tae kwon do class last night. I LOVED it!! Something about kicking the bag made me feel great! The instructor said I was a natural!
Just saying hi!!

Replies

• grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Glad to hear you enjoyed it..it's a great sport!
  • atc_ninja
    atc_ninja Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are starting a great journey. I really like TKD also and it gets better the longer you do it.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    For those of us (me) who hate exercising (especially me), this is a great workout! I try to go three night a week and do the gym on other days, with exception of Sundays. Sundays, I'm usually just doing my own thing for any kind of exercise and counting everything.
    All three of my daughters are black belts (my 17 year old is a 2nd degree, the 16 year old is a 1st degree and my 9 year old is a probationary black belt) and I just got BACK into it last year, so I'm a blue level one now.
    Taking out frustrations on inanimate objects and sparring IS tons of fun. Breaking boards is empowering. Enjoy it!
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    Welcome! I LOVE taekwondo! It's been an absolute joy to participate in. The better you get, the better, and more confident you'll feel. :-)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    awesome ! I am wanting to start this as well but I am having some issues with my knees so ( after advice from here) I am going to visit a doctor and go from there. I hope I can start up, I want to learn something new. never done martial arts before
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Glad to hear you enjoyed the class. I've been taking TKD for a little over a year now (along with my son), and it's great! Best of luck to you!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hey :bigsmile: Welcome to the world of TKD :drinker: Been training since September 2009 and love it!! :heart:
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • kr1stadee
    Options
    Took my second class last night. Sunday was just a tease haha
    We did a LOT of cardio. Feeling it today, but I'm loving it!!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Took my second class last night. Sunday was just a tease haha
    We did a LOT of cardio. Feeling it today, but I'm loving it!!
    LOL My instructor let it be known, there is a bleep test planned for Thursday's class...sooo not looking forward to that!! But hoping I've improved since the last one!.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    cardio? tkd is cardio..but are you meaning other cardio like tons of non tkd exercise...hate that when schools do that ...when i go to class i am there for tkd not doing other things.. ... either way hope your enjoying it so far... i have to go bust my butt for an advancment this sat.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    cardio? tkd is cardio..but are you meaning other cardio like tons of non tkd exercise...hate that when schools do that ...when i go to class i am there for tkd not doing other things.. ... either way hope your enjoying it so far... i have to go bust my butt for an advancment this sat.

Our classes are broken up..2x a week is traditional tkd, 2 days a week sparring and 2 days a week is fighters fit (conditioning/strenght training etc). Maybe that is how hers is set up??

I absolutely love that we do the conditioning now on a regular basis at tkd..this helps loads in the ring. Also the strength training component is important to me because the fitter I am the easier it will be for me to practice tkd. Your strength, conditioning and overall fitness really come into play..especially when testing. I am just glad that I can get in at least 2 good conditioning workouts at my tkd school..that much less I have to do on my own..I work harder there than at home. :bigsmile:
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I took my first women's tae kwon do class last night. I LOVED it!! Something about kicking the bag made me feel great! The instructor said I was a natural!
    Just saying hi!!

That's awesome. It does feel so good to kick a bag. It gives me a high. I have been hearing awesome things about taekwondo. I might need to find me a class.

Brittany
  • kr1stadee
    Options
    The way that our classes are set up is half the class (30-45 minutes) is made of cardio (running, sprinting), and either body weight or hand weight exercise for toning. The rest of the class is made up of kicking drills. The belt training happens on different nights. I'm in the "fitness" class, and I'm considering registering for belt training, really really considering it!!
  • LordBear
    Options
    ah yah? yah cant stand the cardio classes they annoy me waste of time in my opinion.. might as well just go ahead and do the regular class.... still tons of cardio. and like i said in previous comment... class is short and only an hr long..i am there to do tkd and nothing else.... warm ups... stances with techniques, patterns, kicks then sparring. every day. i do other cardio and weight training on my own out of tkd class. but if some one is doing the wannabe cardia martial arts classes and like it..well then that is good for them i guess and they should keep doing it..but hey.. if ur already doing something that looks like it ..you might as well do the real thing.... get just as much of a work out.;
  • kr1stadee
    Options
    Oh wow.

Sorry, I didn't realize that I'm in a wannabe class. Maybe this group was the wrong place to join.
  • jlmarcin
    Options
    Don't listen to that crap. Someone apparently forgot what it was like to be just starting out. You get them on here, but they are few and far between. People here are very supportive, at least in my opinion. My MMA gym does not have TKD, but I go for the boxing. It's been an amazing few weeks, kicking my *kitten*, which is what i need. Plus, really good coaches and supportive new friends.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Oh wow.

Sorry, I didn't realize that I'm in a wannabe class. Maybe this group was the wrong place to join.

Don't you DARE be dissuaded! Martial arts is a life skill and we can all use life skills. Some people are better at the cardio than the forms. Some are better at the forms than the sparring. Some are better at sparring than forms.
    We ALL had to start at a white belt. I remember feeling so goofy around all those people in class. I remember crying because I didn't think I'd EVER get a particular move.

Me, I love to do real life scenarios and to break boards. I REALLY love breaking boards. It gives you a sense of empowerment that you'll never forget. If you can break a board, you can break a bone.

You get in that class and don't worry with what other people say.
  • LordBear
    Options
    i didnt say anything offensive or mean or to chase her away from what she is doing... if she just wants to do an imitation tkd class... then go for it...but if ur going thru the motions any way . might as well learn to do it right and get something out of it other than a sweat.