2 weeks smoke free but I gained:(

I lost 55 pounds before I quit smoking. That was my New Years resolution in 2012 to lose weight I hit my goal weight in nov2012 then my resolution for 2013 was to quit smoking so I did and gained back 11 pounds in 2 weeks... Back on the weightloss train I am and I'm gonna make this come off and stay off!!

Replies

• upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Commiseration and encouragement! I am starting to strain my clothes :( But I will NOT buy a size up!
  • Congratulations on being smokefree for 2 weeks!

I too havent had smoked for 14 days but am too scared to weigh myself :/

although you have gained a little bit of weight, think of the health benefits by not smoking! You'll find it easier to be active now and the weight will drop off again :)

Keep up the good work!!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Congrats on your two week acheivements guys! I'm on DAY two! lol

I was terrified of the weight gain thing too....a couple of years ago, I gained 10 lbs in 2 weeks, then started smoking again. Now I've just gone cold turkey and am trying to take it one step at a time.

Question for guys....you say you're gaining, are you staying within your calorie goals for the day? Or have you been munching a bit here and there? I heard that as a smoker you burn around 200 extra cals per day as it elevates your heartrate, etc.

I'm just trying to get a handle on what to expect the next couple of weeks. My plan is to drop down and do pushups or something when I need to get past a craving....hoping that the extra movement throughout the day will offset those extra cals burned we used to get...if it was even true. :)

Okay now I'm rambling....your experience with increased / decreased cravings would be appreciated, and also what are some of the positive things physically you've noticed so far?

Sorry to hijack the thread....:)
  • upgetupgetup
    I'm eating prob 300-500 over, and I'm not exercising either (foot and back problems), and I have some kind of coughing bug as well.

I've also heard the thing about nicotine boosting metabolism. If you're on NRTs, maybe that won't show up for a while?

Have also read that weight gain depends on how addicted you were, and how much you smoked. 4-6 lbs for sort of moderate ex-smoker, closer to 10 for heavy former smokers.

I think boosting activity, if you can, should help!

Re feeling better: this time, not so much (see above, plus, some bad chest tightening over the past couple of months, which is what prompted it really).

But last time I quit, for 18 months, I felt amazing within a week. Had tons of new energy - I just felt *better*, like I was turbocharged. If you have that, totally use it :)
  • upgetupgetup
    Cravings: totally managed with mini lozenges and regular gum. I'm using Dentyne, because it's softer than others & my jaw aches less. I stopped using the patch after 2 of them (weird dreams, insomnia). But maybe it's because I feel like such crap, idk.

The breathing exercises, mentioned in another thread, might be helping too :)
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Congrats on 2 weeks. I'm almost 1 and half years. I lost all my weight after I quit. Use your fitness to stay quit! Good luck!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Some will disagree but I honestly, truly believe that weight gain when you quit smoking is not inevitable. I actually lost weight when I quit for 3 months but that's because 1) I took advantage of feeling better to work out more and 2) I KNEW that over-eating and snacking on bad foods was going to be reallllly tempting so I made it a point to have lots of healthy snacks around, as well as sugar-free gum. Once I started smoking again, I stopped working out, and gained weight.

I think part of it is a self-fulfilling prophecy...if you're convinced you will gain no matter what you do, you're less likely to really monitor yourself, and you end up making unhealthy choices because you're "going to gain anyway." But if you tell yourself that at you're at risk for extra gain, and that you'll need to be very careful about making healthy choices, then you're more likely to make those healthy choices.

IF you stick to a lifestyle conductive to losing weight, quitting smoking will not ruin your efforts-you will not gain weight for no reason other than quitting. Yes, it will be more difficult because you're making two major life changes...and yes you're more likely to gain because of that, and because you can't say "I'm so hungry, but I'll just have a smoke instead." And a lot of people prefer, understandably, to get a few months as a nonsmoker under their belt before tacking the weight issue. BUT it is in YOUR control.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. I'm sure different people have different experiences. I just want everyone to know that there IS hope when it comes to fighting both battles at once :flowerforyou:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    It is normal for people to gain a little weight when they quit. Usually it is between 5-13 lbs average. But, you can combat that with working out. Dont' worry if you gain the weight....quitting smoking and gaining a few pounds is better than still smoking. I haven't gained, but I haven't lost any either...don't let the scale judge your progress, especially when you are quitting smoking. Let measurements be the judge on your weight loss not the pounds.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    I'm going to really make an effort to stay within my calorie goal of 1750 per day...that's about a 15% cut from my TDEE...and we shall see if I can make the 5 lb gain a myth and not a given! lol

I know people who've gone both ways when quitting. one girlfriend lost steadily as she did a total lifestyle change and a couple (myself included), had gained. I know for a fact that it was due to excessive snacking but couldn't tell you by how much as I wasn't tracking my intake.

This time around I feel like I am armed with more information and have better tools and habits in place so we will see what happens. Will keep you all posted and keep up the terrific work!!
  • upgetupgetup
    Some will disagree but I honestly, truly believe that weight gain when you quit smoking is not inevitable. I actually lost weight when I quit for 3 months but that's because 1) I took advantage of feeling better to work out more and 2) I KNEW that over-eating and snacking on bad foods was going to be reallllly tempting so I made it a point to have lots of healthy snacks around, as well as sugar-free gum. Once I started smoking again, I stopped working out, and gained weight.

I think part of it is a self-fulfilling prophecy...if you're convinced you will gain no matter what you do, you're less likely to really monitor yourself, and you end up making unhealthy choices because you're "going to gain anyway." But if you tell yourself that at you're at risk for extra gain, and that you'll need to be very careful about making healthy choices, then you're more likely to make those healthy choices.

IF you stick to a lifestyle conductive to losing weight, quitting smoking will not ruin your efforts-you will not gain weight for no reason other than quitting. Yes, it will be more difficult because you're making two major life changes...and yes you're more likely to gain because of that, and because you can't say "I'm so hungry, but I'll just have a smoke instead." And a lot of people prefer, understandably, to get a few months as a nonsmoker under their belt before tacking the weight issue. BUT it is in YOUR control.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. I'm sure different people have different experiences. I just want everyone to know that there IS hope when it comes to fighting both battles at once :flowerforyou:

Not offended at all :)

I think the extra cals come from a number of places. Orally fixated people might eat more of the wrong stuff, out of habit, and to fill the craving. I think the metabolic 'bonus' smoking gives does have to be accounted for, and easily can, with additional exercise (or diet restriction).

(Me, I'm hit from all sides right now, otherwise I'd be doing something, that's for sure :)
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    First of all congrats on reaching your goal for xmas!

Gaining a few pounds temporarily is nothing compared to the benefits of not smoking. You'll get the weight off again, you wouldnt gain back the poisoning done to your body with the smoke. Dont worry youve lost it once youll do it again :D