Diabetes,the cold and FBG.

Options
reerazzle
reerazzle Posts: 81 Member
Dear All,

In my earlier post I explained my situation of 142=165 FBG in early December. After about 2-3 weeks of lowering carbs substantially to about 100g and exercising often in the evening, I began to see FBG of the range of 105-119. A great improvement although far from best practice. I have had a cold the last couple of days. Nothing dire, but the sniffles and a bad cough and a light temperature. My FBGs have shot up. Yesterday it was 149 and today it was 150/?!? Can anyone explain why? Thanks.

Replies

• BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It is common that when the body is under stress through illness that this happens.

The following quote is from a useful web site I use.

" During an illness or infection the body will release extra glucose into your blood stream in a bid to help combat the illness. In people without diabetes, this is an effective strategy as their pancreas will release extra insulin to cope with the extra blood glucose.

In people with diabetes, though, the release of glucose presents an unwanted extra difficulty in managing the rise in blood glucose levels - in addition to feeling less than 100%."

URL is http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-illness.html

It is one of the reasons that in the UK diabetics are given a "flu jab" before the flu season starts.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    When I was initially diagnosed with T2, I had a really BAD virus....and the doctor told me that that probably contributed to the fact that my BS was over 400 at that time. Viruses seem to elevate blood sugar readings. That's one reason I haven't tested my sugar for the past week because I have been sick.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Any time I am sick, my glucose levels are slightly elevated…especially my fasting number. It seems that this happens to quite a few of us. Keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure it will settle back down whenever you get to feeling better.
  • reerazzle
    reerazzle Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Good to know your experience.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It's normal for me as well, and unless it's prolonged or the spikes are outrageous, as hard as it is, try not to worry. It is normal for illness and will correct itself as you heal. If it doesn't, your pcp can help.

I was so lucky that when I went to my first diabetes education class they explained this. They were so matter of fact, "if you're sick, it (FBS) will go up. It just does. There's nothing you can do. Don't try to "exercise it down". Your body needs rest. It will correct itself." There was someone in the room with me who was diagnosed for about 10 years who never knew. Knowledge really does make a difference. The anxiety level otherwise can be overwhelming. Good luck!