NROL4W + Bike Commuting?

Options
The author seems pretty firm on the "don't do extra cardio" thing, but I'm pretty set on bike commuting. It's only 5 miles each way, the ground is flat (woo Chicago!) and I go at a semi-leisurely pace; it takes me about half an hour each way. And it saves me SOOO much money.

I've been doing it since September, so my body is pretty used to it, and although I warm up, I wouldn't call it strenuous. And I sit at a computer all day, so it's a good way to be semi-active for an hour every day.

Does anyone else lift and bike? Is it counter productive?

Replies

• mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am looking at getting into the same kind of thing - but as my gym is 2km past home for me (8km flat commute each way to and from work, so about the same as you) I will be sticking to non lifting days for biking. I don't think I would have the energy to carry on biking, do my workout and then bike home. I think if you are used to it, you should be able to handle it.

Probably people will mention that you should eat back your cardio calories too (I don't really know anything about how much I should be eating currently, so I am not going to offer advice).
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I think a lot of people here do extra cardio. I think it's fine.
  • FootsoreRambler
    FootsoreRambler Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to commute at least twice a week by bike these days, but when I started lifting I didn't have enough energy to do both. I'm on stage 4 now, and I one of the big gains that I am getting is a general increase in energy. Still, I get pretty worn out if I try to ride and go to the gym on the same day.

My ride is about 13 miles round trip, and has some pretty serious hills. I find the lifting has helped my speed on the hills, and if biking is hurting my gym performance, I haven't noticed it.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late to the game but I lift and bike commute. Eat the extra calories burned back! I'm guessing it's probably only about 150-200 calories.