Wedding Food?

Options
lharpul
lharpul Posts: 14 Member
Hey future brides!

We're starting to narrow down caterers and starting to look through the many menus and idea for ceremony food.
We're going to try and go for comfort food and are thinking basics like beef tenderloin and chicken dish, broccoli, carrots, and rolls. The only kind of "fun" think we're thinking about is a potato bar, where you get to choose your toppings.

Anyone have their menus locked down and excited?

Replies

• exquisitecadavre
    Options
    I love potato bars! We are thinking of maybe doing a mashed potato bar. =]

We aren't locked in yet; in fact I have an appointment with the caterer we used for my sister's wedding on Friday. But, I'm thinking of some ethnic food like Thai Curry or Indian Tikka Masala and pastas and meats (my fiance is Italian. xD)
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    We decided to go super cheap since catering is expensive and have dessert! I'm thinking cookies, brownies, etc from the grocery store bakery to go along with the cake. We're also pushing the wedding back a little later in the evening so that our guests have time to eat some dinner beforehand. The idea is locked in, but we won't be hitting the grocery stores until the day before. I've even thought about baking some of it myself as well to cut costs but I haven't decided if I'll be able to with the craziness that goes along with the final days before the big day.

The fat kid in me is excited about this LOL.
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    we are having the best reception food EVER!!! World Famous Loveless Cafe is going to carter breakfast for dinner! Everyone loves breakfast and breakfast for dinner is even better!! we're going to do mimosas and bloody mary's and some other signature drinks and coffee...it's going to be AMAZING!!!!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    we are having the best reception food EVER!!! World Famous Loveless Cafe is going to carter breakfast for dinner! Everyone loves breakfast and breakfast for dinner is even better!! we're going to do mimosas and bloody mary's and some other signature drinks and coffee...it's going to be AMAZING!!!!

Everybody LOVES brinner!!! Brilliant idea!
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Once again I am doing my own food and buying a dessert tray at Costco. My neighbour is making my cake, but not a layered one as I want the guest to eat it all before they go home. :laugh: Most of our guests don't drink so we are not having a reception, besides I hate crowds. Turn the cd's on and dance if they want in the garage. Cheep is me!:blushing:
  • lawyerette
    lawyerette Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The resort is catering, although we could have opted for free and just has them set up a larger table in one of the 7 restaurants. My parents thought that doing it on the beach at sunset would be nicer, so they helped us out with the money for that (their only contribution, which is more than we wanted them to give us). Being a destination, we're expecting around 20 people and the 3 hour reception dinner (white glove service) plus 1 hour cocktail hour (with hot and cold appetizers and full bar) will cost us less than $2000 for all of it (including the cake - 1 tier chocolate, 1 tier Caribbean fruit). We get one appetizer (crab cake with shrimp), one soup or salad (Caesar salad), two entrees (beef and mahi mahi), and a separate desert choice (Baked Alaska - Caribbean style). In addition, about 1/2 the wedding party has food allergies and will be getting special meals created and prepared by the chef according to their specific requests. It's going to be lovely :)

2hdyyxt.jpg
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    Our venue came with menu packages as part of the price, however, because I can be quite fussy, I only liked the look of the first menu (it was the cheapest, but not the reason it was picked) - cream of lentil soup, chicken breast with lemon and thyme jus served with seasonal veg and potatoes, followed by chocolate and orange torte with tea, coffee and mints.

In the evening we will also have a evening buffet with rolls and bacon, rolls and square sausage, sandwiches, mini pizza etc.
    Next to the cake table we are also going to have a sweetie and chocolate buffet :)

And depending on the time of the ceremony, we will also have canapes.
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    All of these menus sound amazing :) One thing I know for sure is that the diet is going out the window for the wedding and the honeymoon!! I will have worked so hard by then and I will enjoy my breakfast and my cake without any regrets :)
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    We would have a lock-down on our menu for our wedding, but when our appointment came up the caterer never showed up for our tasting. Turns out that the hotel place we are getting married at told us that the guy who ran it got brain cancer and the business ended. It sucked at the time, and we were both really upset, less so after we found out what had happened. The hotel gave us a few choices to look into and we are currently thinking of Blue Angel Cafe which we ate at for lunch since the tasting didn't happen, and OMG their food was amazing!!! And they had really great service, and we have been able to keep in touch with them through e-mail which we weren't able to do with the other business due to their lack of communication. ANY-who. So now we have to drive 7 hours again in May to do another tasting through them. It will be fun as my Fiance's parents live down there, but it's kind of annoying to have to do it again. Good luck on all your menu's! I'm looking forward to finally figuring it out! (I'm anxious about it even though I shouldn't be! LOL)
  • bbtano
    bbtano Posts: 42
    Options
    Our wedding is between lunch and supper, so no meal for the guests but cold snack foods and a candy bar (we love candy......none for me right now though!) in between the ceremony and cake cutting. A co-worker used to work for a caterer and is going to make a 3 tiered cake for me as a wedding gift.
    We have a tiny budget, but God has faithfully provided many friends and family to help us out. A friend from the gym (where we met) is providing an Italian meal for the rehearsal dinner.
  • irishgrim
    Options
    Getting married in Hawaii, so having an inspired Hawaiian meal. I won't have taste tested any of the food, so I'm relying on the Wedding Planner's opinion of this caterer. about 5 hor d'oerves for cocktail hour, 3 or 4 meat dishes, 3 or 4 side dishes. My mom is demanding we have other dessert besides cake, and I'm leaning towards having the cake slices as the favors. i think im most excited for my cake, its lilikoi (passion fruit) cream with lilikoi cake, pineapple cream with haupia (coconut) cake, and guava cream with yellow cake. YUM.
  • nailtechbec
    nailtechbec Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Our food is a set menu in the price it's melon then soup then chicken with a tomato and basil sauce and profiteroles for dessert plus coffees and mints then in the evening it BBQ ! We're not having a wedding cake we're having a tower of krispy kremes and each guest can take one home, hope some don't so I can unzip my dress at the end of the night and eat loads of them lol !! X
  • Fit_Is_Fabulous
    Fit_Is_Fabulous Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    We actually have our tasting this Sunday (yumm! But bad for the scale). I'm kind of anxious, b/c our wedding venue is making us do catering through them and we have to order a minimum $10,000 on food. Yikes! I'm hoping that once you add in appetizers, entree, and alcohol it adds up. I'd hate to fork over $10,000 but not have truly spent it.