"Snacksize" bulletproof coffee and silly phobia

I keep reading that bulletproof coffee is pretty fantastic, at least enough to warrant giving it a try. I don't do dairy, but I see that a lot of people do coconut oil only and get the same great energy boost. So I'm trying an 8 oz coffee with a tsp of coconut oil in it...all the recipes suggest a tablespoon or more, but I just can't yet lol....it's so embarrassing because it's ridiculous, but I have a phobia of drinking anything "oily" or "greasy". Just the thought of it is enough to make me feel like I could throw up O_O It's sitting on the table staring at me right now, so cheers to trying new things and conquering silly fears!

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I too have to work on getting used to BP coffee. I don't mind the texture of the oils because I already put cream in my coffee.

I hope that you can get past the phobia. I have a lot of incentive to kick my butt and get used to BP. Firstly, I want to reduce the dairy and secondly, my body likes a diet of 80% fat and I have difficulty getting there most days. BP would help that. But the butter would still not be ideal since I have no access to grass fed products.

How did it go? Did you get it down? I'll bet that you'll feel all energized before long. :drinker:
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    As long as you blend it, it shouldn't be oily or greasy
  • bonnieellison96
    bonnieellison96 Posts: 50 Member
    Got it down and it wasn't oily at all, it was kind of creamy as if I'd put a dash of creamer in it! I don't eat or drink dairy either, I just did the coconut oil, so we'll see here in a little bit if it works! :D I bet it would help you get your fat % up quite a bit, I eat a ton of protein, so I have to actually watch mine lol, but I'd be willing to forgo an egg and sausage link or something if this will give me a good pre-workout boost. I'm actually recovering from the flu and still feeling a little sickly, but I haven't exercised in a couple of days, so I really need to at least try a little. If you try it, let me know how it goes! :drinker:
  • bonnieellison96
    As long as you blend it, it shouldn't be oily or greasy

Yeah, that's what I did, and it had a nice little foam on top like a latte!
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    I also use ghee instead of butter to avoid dairy as well.
  • kannd86
    kannd86 Posts: 42
    I don't like it as much with plain coconut oil blended it. I think ghee would be better.

It won't be greasy, it will be kind of frothy. Drink it through a straw if you think that would help get over your fear.
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    I also use ghee instead of butter to avoid dairy as well.

I also add almond or coconut milk. It is so good, I double mine to 16 oz. Enough energy for the whole day.
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    I just tried it this morning. I was skeptical but it was actually pretty good. It was a little greasy, but i used I coconut oil and kerry gold. It is so filling that I had trouble even finishing my 12 oz cup! Curious to see how I will feel today.

For the people who drink it daily, is that your breakfast for the day? When do you usually eat your next meal? I've heard of people who go until dinner on bulletproof for breakfast.
  • I have tried it a few times, and I think I like the coconut oil better...it does take some getting used to.
  • Alyxw
    Alyxw Posts: 50 Member
    I have this for breakfast most weekdays - just one regular 250ml cup of coffee with 40grams butter. I add cocoa powder to mine also. I get hungry at around 11 and have a few almonds before my lunch break at 12pm

It would never carry me through until dinner.

Ghee instead of butter? Ghee is made from butter - it is clarified butter. Should that not still be counted as dairy?
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    I likes me a freshly ground and brewed cup of black coffee. This seems to me like putting ketchup on a New York..
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    I have my version of bullet proof coffee (12 ounces coffee, 1 T heavy cream & 1/2 T coconut oil) every morning along with a slice of bacon. It keeps me going for about 4 hours, with plenty of energy for a 30 minute morning workout and some housecleaning. :bigsmile:

And, I agree with the taste reminding me of a gazillion years ago when I would have coffee with coffee mate creamer...looking back, they did put coconut oil in it back in the 60's!!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Hmm I never thought of adding cocoa to it.....
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    I have this for breakfast most weekdays - just one regular 250ml cup of coffee with 40grams butter. I add cocoa powder to mine also. I get hungry at around 11 and have a few almonds before my lunch break at 12pm

It would never carry me through until dinner.

Ghee instead of butter? Ghee is made from butter - it is clarified butter. Should that not still be counted as dairy?

I will have to try cocoa powder tomorrow! Yesterday I added a dash of cinnamon, it is growing on me.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I use Kerrygold butter and coconut oil, some dark unsweetened cocoa, and a nice big pinch of cinnamon. Sometimes I add a little coconut milk. The trick is to use a blender--immersion, hand blender, whatever you've got. That is the way to get it nice and frothy and incorporate all the oil. I love it! I take digestive enzymes before every meal, including bulletproof coffee, to aid in fat digestion. If the coconut oil hurts your stomach, as it does with a lot of people, digestive enzymes should help greatly. I don't find myself hungry until late afternoon, after my work out.
  • bonnieellison96
    I'm officially in love with it! I've worked my way up to 2tbsp of coconut oil in 20 oz of coffee and a cup of almond milk-it's been a GREAT boost to my fat and protein levels since I have a hard time getting them in somedays. I don't use GHEE either because it's still dairy, and I cut all dairy out, but I think I might try the cocoa powder and cinnamon today, that sounds delicious! :D To answer the question about eating afterward, this would NEVER last me til dinner, I neeeeds my food lol. It gets me through the morning though, and around 1 or so, I usually start getting really hungry and start loading up on my veggies-the one thing I NEVER have trouble getting in!