Weight Lost At First?

Options
abetterluke
abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
So I've lost 3 lbs in the 2 days since I've started paleo. Is this normal? It seems like a lot to me. What was everyone elses experience with weight loss in the beginning?

Also when did you start to notice other effects? My energy levels were through the roof last night.

Replies

• kannd86
    kannd86 Posts: 42
    Options
    Water weight. It's normal.

I wasn't particularly concerned with my weight when I started, so when I did wind up weighing myself (after at least a week or more), I was shocked to see I'd lost about 10 pounds. I'm sure most of it was water weight. Now it's coming off much more slowly. I hope that means I'm burning fat!
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If your diet is changing from what you were eating before you're probably going to see a big weight drop at first (from my expertise with a bazillion times yo-yo dieting!). It will even itself out so don't get discouraged if you start only losing 1-2lb. I had a big loss my first week (almost 6lb) that I changed to primal eating but more importantly I felt healthy and better than I have in a long time. It took me a long time to realize I need to just feel better about myself and not worry so much about the weight coming off (it's easy to get discouraged after that first big loss). Then again some people don't get that big loss at first, it really depends on how you were eating before and how much weight you have to lose i believe.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know it'll level out eventually. I'm not worried about getting discouraged. I do feel way better than I have in months!
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I started what was basically Primal on Jan 1 (hmmmm, I wonder why) at 313 pounds (I'm 6'2"). Today (Jan 17) I am down to 300. At first I was losing a pound a day but it appears to be slowing down some now (as expected).

For the first week or so I had the 'low carb' flu and felt like crap but am feeling great now and my sleep is much more restful now.
  • LittleTrollCupcake
    Options
    I started my Whole30 weighing 148 and I'm down to 140... Today is Day 18. But that's extreme... I usually lose 10 lbs total in 30 days of eating strict paleo.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I think thats totally normal
  • that_tall_girl
    that_tall_girl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My bf and I started back on Primal on Dec 30 after being off for several months. At our last weigh in on the 20th, he was down 41 lbs and I was down 20. It happens, I think especially when you have a significant amount of weight to lose.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i'd been eating a lot less bread/pasta/rice for about 18 months before i switched to eating primally at the start of the year. so the main shock to my system has been the absence of sugar. i don't feel like i've lost much weight, though i think clothes are feeling slightly looser (i've hidden the scales for a month).
    but weight loss isn't my main motivator, even though i have a lot to lose. replicating my grandparents all living to 90+ with no modern illnesses other than failing senses and alzheimers is my goal. though hopefully without the alzheimers either.