Stage 1 -- pushups in the middle of the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I can do one set using the bench and one set on the floor... usually mixed with a lot of grunting and sweating. Just find a spot where you are comfortable in the gym and bang them out.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    uh nope...i dont feel weird..i usually use a bench since I cant do pushups on the floor yet. I use the incline of the bench to help me out..or an aerobic step helps aswell..

people are doing their own stuff ..they wont pay attention to you..and yes..once in a while i will grunt and may funny faces at myself in the mirror..but then its not like I care..!
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    not weird at all...people do all kinds of crazy stuff in the weight room...it's a gym...that's what it's for

Sorry, I just joined a gym recently and am VERY new to gym etiquette. Obviously I know people exercise there and that's what it's for, but I don't know what's normal and what's not and I'm terrified of being stared at and it being obvious that I don't know what the heck I'm doing, lol.
    don't apologize...it's all confidence...fake it til you make it...you got this

My thoughts exactly. Everybody were once beginners. So don't worry and you will see that everybody is too involved in their own thing to even think about someone doing pushups. Really, hardly a day passes when I'm in the gym that someone is not doing pushups there. As it should! Good luck and remember that you belong there as much as the next person.
  • aprilrsims
    Options
    ...right next to the guy w/no drawers under his shorts...hil.ar.i.ous!!
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have no problem doing push-ups in middle of the gym... the inchworm on the other hand... felt like a total dork, especially as I inched my way past dudes grunting through their lifts.
  • fratgirl713
    Options
    I figure as long as no one trips over me, it's all good! Just drop down and give 'em hell!

I just did my first 3 sets of "big boy" push-ups from my toes at workout 5 of stage 1. Man, did that feel good! (I know, i feel like bragging about it a little, so proud of me!)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    I *love* doing the push-ups! Even when I started at desk height, the FACT that I was *doing* a FULL-PLANK PUSH-UP just made me feel SO BAD-*kitten*!!

And now, I'm down on the floor and I *know* the dudes are looking at my muscles all popping out.

I LOVE IT.
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    I started out being able to crank out 5 TERRIBLE pushups from the knees. Then I fell flat on my nose on the 6th.:wink: That was 3 years ago. As much as I hated, like HATED them back then, I really love them now. It's just awesome to be able to conquer yourself in that way. It just doesn't get old. I am now doing them with feet in the TRX and boy does that feel great.

Congratulations on your progress, it's a huge step forward to do "big girl" pushups on your toes!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I dont' feel weird at all..I do it right next to the row machine lol.

I am actually thinking about doing decline push-ups instead of regular (I am military so the regulars are too easy)...propping my feet up on the row machine seat and pumping them out.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options

I am actually thinking about doing decline push-ups instead of regular (I am military so the regulars are too easy)...propping my feet up on the row machine seat and pumping them out.

DO IT. You are more than ready to make your pushups harder!

I usually walk near the wall and do mine just so I'm not under people's feet. Sometimes I stay near the cable machine and do them. Depends on what the "combo" of excerises is in the workout. I love the quote "fake it until you make it." SO true.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options

DO IT. Think of your push-ups like any of the other exercises...it's all about progression.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i posted this in the stage 4 thread but maybe this is more appropriate..
    i've been suffering with form lately because of uncertainty. i do my pushups "regular" on the ground, and keeping my elbows in towards my body as much as possible. every time i see anyone doing pushups at the gym they're always doing them with their elbows OUT, upper arms perpendicular to the body. so can anyone reassure me that the book does in fact say to keep your elbows in? (i had to return it to the library). it just doesn't feel right sometimes.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I do my pushups right next to the machine I'm using. It's no big deal, people do all sorts of stuff at the gym.

Doing your pushups right there will just make you look legit, don't worry about it.