Stage 1 - step up help

rachietuk
rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
Stage 1 - Step ups

What do you use for your step?
I don't think I used a high enough step. First time I used the stepper, Today i was going to use a bench, but was scared I would fall, so I used the second step on the stairs.

Replies

• rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    I have this problem, too.

I've only done one workout each of stage 1 (a & b) and when it came time for the step up, I used a stepper in the exercise room of my gym. It seemed too low. Then again, using a weight bench seemed too high. My place has a bunch of squares you can use to increase the height, but I don't know at what point it becomes unstable, lol! I will have to figure this out for my next workout. I might just wander around a bit before I start looking at all the benches, maybe stepping up on a few without weights to see how it feels.

Stairs might be a good idea..I will check that out too! :)
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    I was afraid of the bench for a while so I used risers they use in step class. They have some of those randomly placed in the weight and workout area in my Y.

However the bench was not as tough as I was afraid it would be. I suggest you try it without weight for a couple of step ups and then see how it feels. you may surprise yourself. as with many other exercises in this workout it is very empowering when you realize you can do more than you think you can. :)
    389989 Posts: 7
    I also use the risers at my gym - the steps that they use for cardio workouts. I used four of them so it was about 12" . Going to add another one next workout.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    At my gym I use the step platform with 8 risers on each side. If your gym doesn't have the step & risers, use one of the benches.

You want the step high enough so when your foot is resting on the step, your knee is parallel to your hip or slightly higher. If you're unable to do this, work your way up to that point. It's better to increase the height of the step before you increase the amount of weight you're holding in your hands.

I started using 6 risers on each side and now I'm up to 8 risers.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    My gym has a cable machine with an adjustable platform, so I use that, and just bring a pair of dumbbells over (I don't use the handles/cables).

http://www.freemotionfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_10001_10002_10009_136775

I tried using the bench once, but the cushioning made it too unstable for me.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    I started out using the aerobics step with risers, and then increased a few times by adding risers. Eventually I began using a weight bench, because they are plentiful and easy to access in my gym. As you progress in the program, your strength, balance and coordination will improve a lot and the bench won't seem so daunting.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    I use a bench and just wipe it off afterwards so other gym members don't side eye me for stepping where they lay down.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Thank you all.
    I am going to try the bench without weights first, get my balance.
    Then grab some weights and hope for the best.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    I was afraid of the bench for a while so I used risers they use in step class. They have some of those randomly placed in the weight and workout area in my Y.

However the bench was not as tough as I was afraid it would be. I suggest you try it without weight for a couple of step ups and then see how it feels. you may surprise yourself. as with many other exercises in this workout it is very empowering when you realize you can do more than you think you can. :)

This has been my experience too I've just done workout 4A, started off using the areobics stop but last two session i've used a bench and it's a bit wobbly at first but take it slow with light weights and then build up. I managed it with 8kg in each hand today :)
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    I started w just a 5-6" step & 20lb Dumbbells, didn't get any benefit at all. 2nd time I stacked 2 wooden ammo boxes, 15" high total & used 20lb bar on shoulders (hubby spotted me as my balance is not great on the best of days). Could not sit or squat for two full days without groaning, Lol. 3rd time (last night), used same ammo boxes & upped weight of bar to 24lb on 1st set, had to go back to 20lb for 2nd set. A few balance issues, but did all reps. Barely sore today, but definitely agree better to go with higher step & add weights later.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 574 Member
    I just started the program over since I quit a few months ago. I'm using my bench but couldn't add any weight because I'm a weakling, and I still could barely walk for 2 days. Grrr.