substitutes for butter, sour cream, cheese, etc

Options
candypa
candypa Posts: 73 Member
I am new and have dairy, soy and gluten issues. I also have problems with some nuts due to high oxalate rate for kidney stones. I don't want to use anything that is genetically modified either like wheat, canoli or corn. Have you found any substitutes for butter, sour cream, cheese, etc? Thanks for your help.

Replies

• Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    You are pretty limited, but you may want to look into the Daiya imitation cheeses. I love their cheddar cheese. It melts really well and tastes great (for fake cheese). It does not contain soy, gluten, dairy or tree nuts. It does contain canola, but it is specifically non-GMO. Here's a list of the ingredients for the cheddar shreds:

Filtered water, tapioca and /or arrowroot flours, non-GMO expeller pressed canola and /or non-GMO expeller pressed safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, inactive yeast, vegan natural flavors, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid (for flavor), annatto, titanium dioxide (a naturally occurring mineral).
  • Sorie44
    Sorie44 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil to replace butter. Being a southern girl, I like grits. I flavor them with olive oil, dried herbs, garlic and salt/pepper. Not my mother's grits, but they are good.

Cheese and sour cream...gosh I miss them...but there is not a substitute that I really like. Guacamole (I make by mixing avocado and pico de gallo and a little lime juice) works for me on mexican dishes.

Creaming soup: I use almond milk or coconut milk.
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If I need to use butter I go with Earth Balance soy free, otherwise I use olive oil on g-f toast, etc. I also use coconut oil a lot. I do not know of a soy free sour dairy free sour cream, but I think using lemon juice or apple cider vinegar with a d-f milk substitute can work for buttermilk substitutions. Cheese substitute is Daiya...it is soy free and dairy free and I am learning to love it more and more. It takes a while to melt, so be patient/I have to use my broiler for pizza and sometimes an extra few seconds in the microwave.

For cream soups I use rice milk. For baking I use coconut milk and almond milk.
  • candypa
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try. I'm going to try that Daiya cheese I've never heard of it. Where do you find it in the store?
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My local health food store has it. I believe Whole Foods carries it as well. I suggest microwaving or broiling to melt it, melting will take longer with Daiya. But my boyfriend, who is not d-f says he thinks the cheddar tastes "like normal cheese".
  • candypa
    Options
    I tasted the Daiya "cheese" both the motzerella and the cheddar and they were both very good. Especially since I've been dairy free for a couple of months. I also have tried nutritional yeast. (It is not an active yeast so no risk of infections) It tastes buttery, nutty, and slightly cheesey. I like both olive oil and coconut oil.

Thanks for all your input. :wink:
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I just tried a new product and loved it! It is coconut & soy based. Best fake cream cheese I've had yet. Great texture & taste. Low fat, too. It's called Go Veggie! It is vegan, gluten free, dairy free, lactose free & kosher.
  • mg1123
    mg1123 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My daughter recommended Daiya, so I am going to be looking for it.

I found this on pinterest - a dairy free sour cream recipe: http://healthylivinghowto.com/1/post/2012/08/better-than-a-dollop-of-daisy.html
  • amazon69
    amazon69 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also have dairy and soy issues. I use Earth Balance soy free spread and sticks for cooking and baking.