Does height really matter when...

Options
shorty35565
shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
configuring how many calories you should eat? I always thought weight was the important factor. I mean, I get that 140lbs looks different on someone who is 5'5 as opposed to someone who is 5'. 140 is healthy for someone 5'5, but not for someone 5'. BUT isn't 140lbs, just 140lbs no matter who it is on? I mean, the 5'5 person would still burn the same as the 5' person or am I completely off? Some people use their 'shortness' as a reason as to why they eat low. People on my list who are shorter than me, but weigh more & eat much less than I do (only the recommended 1200 or less) & they use their height as an excuse. I always assumed they would burn more calories doing normal things than I would because they weigh more. Ok, now I'm rambling.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Height does play a part, but the biggest driver is body fat, or more correctly LBM. The main difference, using your example, is that 140lb on a 5' person will mean a different amount of fat v LBM as compared to 140lb on a 5 5" person. So, a 5' person at 140lb will maintain on less than a 5 5" person at 140lb as the taller person will have a lower BF% and inversely, a higher LBM.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yep, agree with above. The online calculators use height and weight and make some assumptions about body composition.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Here you go.
    Body size and human energy requirements: reduced mass-specific resting energy expenditure in tall adults.

Abstract

Two observations favor the presence of a lower mass-specific resting energy expenditure (REE/weight) in taller adult humans: an earlier report of height (H)-related differences in relative body composition; and a combined model based on Quetelet and Kleiber's classic equations suggesting that REE/weight proportional, variantH(-0.5). This study tested the hypothesis stating that mass-specific REE scales negatively to height with a secondary aim exploration of related associations between height, weight (W), surface area (SA), and REE. Two independent data sets (n = 344 and 884) were evaluated, both with REE measured by indirect calorimetry and the smaller of the two including fat estimates by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. Results support Quetelet's equation (W proportional, variantH(2)), but Kleiber's equation approached the interspecific mammal form (REE proportional, variantW(0.75)) only after adding adiposity measures to weight and age as REE predictors. REE/weight scaled as H( approximately (-0.5)) in support of the hypothesis with P values ranging from 0.17 to <0.001. REE and SA both scaled as H( approximately 1.5), and REE/SA was nonsignificantly correlated with height in all groups. These observations suggest that adiposity needs to be considered when evaluating the intraspecific scaling of REE to weight; that relative to their weight, taller subjects require a lower energy intake for replacing resting heat losses than shorter subjects; that fasting endurance, approximated as fat mass/REE, increases as H(0.5); and that thermal balance is maintained independent of stature by evident stable associations between resting heat production and capacity of external heat release. These observations have implications for the modeling of adult human energy requirements and associate with anthropological concepts founded on body size.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17690196
  • shorty35565
    Options
    Height does play a part, but the biggest driver is body fat, or more correctly LBM. The main difference, using your example, is that 140lb on a 5' person will mean a different amount of fat v LBM as compared to 140lb on a 5 5" person. So, a 5' person at 140lb will maintain on less than a 5 5" person at 140lb as the taller person will have a lower BF% and inversely, a higher LBM.

Tht doesnt mean they have to eat really low tho, does it?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Your deficit should be based off the expected TDEE. TDEE is impacted by your BMR, your non-exercise activity, and your exercise activity. So, a short person who is sedentary may have to eat really low to lose weight. If that is the case, and if they are physically able, they should look to move more so that they can have enough calories to eat a balanced diet.
  • shorty35565
    Options

Your deficit should be based off the expected TDEE. TDEE is impacted by your BMR, your non-exercise activity, and your exercise activity. So, a short person who is sedentary may have to eat really low to lose weight. If that is the case, and if they are physically able, they should look to move more so that they can have enough calories to eat a balanced diet.

I had no idea! I learned something today! I always thought weight was the same on everyone. Seems like someone else told me height had something to do with it, but never told me why exactly. I understand now. That really sucks.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I had no idea! I learned something today! I always thought weight was the same on everyone. Seems like someone else told me height had something to do with it, but never told me why exactly. I understand now. That really sucks.

What really sucks is when the 6 ft tall skinny dude with no muscle eats the same as the 5 ft little lady lifting heavy. Because they both have the same amount of Lean Body Mass, LBM.

What's great is when they arm wrestle.

The other way to think about it, when taller, stuff isn't just stretched out thinner (except for the tall skinny guy). Muscle is longer, bones are longer, tendons, and all of that extra mass must be taken care of by the body.

That is increased metabolism, merely because you are taller.

Also, there is more strength and energy needed lifting longer arms and longer legs that weigh just a tad more. Stride is longer, ect.

So now their daily burn is higher too.
  • shorty35565
    Options

What really sucks is when the 6 ft tall skinny dude with no muscle eats the same as the 5 ft little lady lifting heavy. Because they both have the same amount of Lean Body Mass, LBM.

What's great is when they arm wrestle.

The other way to think about it, when taller, stuff isn't just stretched out thinner (except for the tall skinny guy). Muscle is longer, bones are longer, tendons, and all of that extra mass must be taken care of by the body.

That is increased metabolism, merely because you are taller.

Also, there is more strength and energy needed lifting longer arms and longer legs that weigh just a tad more. Stride is longer, ect.

So now their daily burn is higher too.

It all makes sense now!