What have you learned about your eating habits by using MFP?

Options
So, I started using MFP back in August; counting calories has taught me a lot about myself that I never realized, such as why I am overweight. The answer was quite simple once revealed, my calorie input was much greater than my daily needs. In the past years I have tried working out 12 hours/week, lifting weights, jogging 2 hrs per day, etc. Doing these things would allow me to lose about 20 lbs or so but I always maintained weight once I lost it. At one point I could work out, eat 4 big meals a day, and still lose weight due to the amount of calories I burned at the gym, needless to say this never ended well as I would grow weary and give up after 12-15 months or so.
I'm going to say I was probably consuming 3k calories a day on average and had no idea. Eating at buffets(I bet our state has the most) growing up, constantly drinking soda's, it ads up quick. These things are so obvious now but for some reason I was blind to the figures themselves.

So, has anyone else learned anything about themselves by using this application?

Replies

• jyn992000
    jyn992000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I should probably be eating breakfast, other than 2 cups of coffee. Does my French vanilla count as breakfast? lol I also see that I'm eating the most at night at dinner or snacking before bed. I figure I should eat more during the day so my body has more time to process that before bedtime. Its a process, but I'm learning and still trying to figure out what works best for me and my goals.
  • debrapeterson
    debrapeterson Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have learned that MFP has been the best tool for me. I started in January 2012 and I'm now 40lbs thinner and 20lbs away from goal. The reason it is such a great tool is because if used properly you can't help but learn things about yourself. I started slow just attempting to keep in my caloric range, I went on to water (which I have not been able to do), then to the gym just on the ellipical and now i'm working with a trainer 2 days a week. I went from a size 18 to a 12. I have found foods that I can eat that don't bump up my calories and have found the best time to eat. I still struggle but I'm keeping it up. I also work in a building on the 14th floor so that means on 2 days I don't work out I take the stairs thats tough it's 26 flights and I can't do it without stopping. I look back at this year and hope I can and will continue this journey. I do know with MFP at least I have a fighting chance.
  • MaryJanean
    MaryJanean Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am in complete and total shock at the amount of calories I was eating before! I didn't care. I would just eat whatever/whenever! It's no wonder I got so big! MFP is such a great tool. I really don't know if I could do without it!!!!
  • BarretScarbrough
    BarretScarbrough Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well, I also learned something else new after originally posting this. If you lose weight, you still need to use the app for guidance. I lost 58 lbs using the app, then got complacent thinking that I didn't need to use it as a crutch and that I could mentally calculate/estimate my daily needs. Over the past two years I have went from 228 lbs back to 285!! I slowly crept up to 250 and held for a while, then it seemed like in a short 2 weeks time I jumped to 260 and held there for months. About 6 months ago I started lifting weights and taking supplements, no joke, I jumped to 280 in less than a month it seemed, not sure if it was water weight or what.
    I got back on MFP about 3 weeks ago, so far about 10 lbs down or so and feeling good that i'm back on this program and going with it. Lesson learned, but this time I plan to keep it off and trying to completely cut out artificial sweeteners this time around.