Losing too fast?

Options
hilliardjoe
hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
So I started Primal on Jan 1 and I've lost 17 pounds so far (almost a pound a day).

I know in traditional diet plans they want you to lose no more than 2 pounds per week but was curious if that held true in Primal.

When I'm hungry, I eat, when I'm not I don't. The last two days I realized I am not hungry at lunch time when I'm at work so I haven't been eating anything (no snacks at work either). Then I eat dinner at home, which doesn't seem to be much, if any, bigger than it was when I was eating lunch.

In fact I've been having a hard time getting to the calorie goals MFP has set for me since I stopped eating lunch. I'm not really concerned with the calories so much as I am of tracking what I am eating.

My energy levels are higher and I feel great.

I have just started reading PB so I don't know if this is mentioned in there or not. But I want to make sure I'm not hurting myself also.

Replies

• hilliardjoe
    Options
    Oh yeah and here's the kicker. I haven't been exercising at all.

But with my elevated energy levels I'm going to start doing something.
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I would say that you are okay, especially it being the first couple weeks of primal, you are eating very nutrient dense foods. As long as you aren't ignoring your bodies hunger, and eating when you are hungry I think you are fine.....and I think that starting to exercise may kick up your appetite too. I lost 15 lbs in the first month of primal.....
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    How many calories, % fat, protein, carbs?
  • hilliardjoe
    Options
    From yesterday's diary:

Calories 1,588
    Carbs 35g
    Fat 118g
    Protein 107g

I reset my %-ages here to be 50/40/10 Fat/Protein/Carbs also.

I didn't eat between 7:15 am and 4:30 pm because I wasn't hungry.

I drink plenty of water too.
  • Touchdown73
    Touchdown73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That's one of the nice things about Paleo/Primal. You start listening to your body more and don't feel the need to always eat just because it's that time of day.

As someone mentioned before, you're getting more nutrients from your meals now, as well as more fat which is helping you feel satiated.

Good luck in your journey!
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My first week I wasn't exercising, except to walk the dog, and I found myself not even hitting 1200cal or it was exactly 1200 (not that I was aiming for it or anything). This week I've amped up my working out a bit and see that my calories can go at least 200-500 more than that. My actual calorie goal is like 2100 cal so I'm definitely not getting to that but that's okay because i only eat when I'm hungry and don't feel hungry through the day.
  • ajwolters
    Options
    Joe, 10% carbs is pretty low. If you feel you're losing too fast up it to 12 or 15%.
  • CWatermelon
    CWatermelon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! I lost 100 pounds in about 6-7 months and I had boundless energy and healthy numbers as far as heart rate, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. I think I lost about 20 pounds in my first month and that was before I gave up dairy completely. Listening to your body and knowing you are actually hungry is a great part about going paleo. Stay on your strong side!
  • hilliardjoe
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I wonder if being on the "normal" SAD type diets it is dangerous to lose more than 2 pounds per week because people are cutting so much from what they are eating. It can be hard to stop thinking the CW way since it's been drilled into our heads for 30 years.

I have to say since starting this that I never go to bed hungry or feel deprived. It's quite liberating actually.

Sometimes I feel like Roddy Piper in the movie 'Them' with his special sunglasses seeing all the hidden, subliminal messages around town that everybody else just accepts.
  • LittleTrollCupcake
    Options
    Congratulations Joe! Now you see why I absolutely love eating paleo... it takes little to no effort if you just commit to doing it. You eventually/quite quickly don't feel urges for pastas/breas/sugar/flour/etc. and the weight just falls off of you.

I've bought primal blueprint for a number of family members and friends, and they all refuse to read it/try it. Yet, they continue to complain about their weight... when it just takes one little commitment. They refuse to do anything that isn't in a cardboard box mailed to them or in a pill form.

I wish more people would have the epiphany that you had.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Your numbers look great, I would keep the carbs low and keep the healthy fat up and protien as you have been doing! GOOD FOR YOU!