Insulin advice

Options
glenner
glenner Posts: 160 Member
I am fighting going on insulin. I am not sure why- it isn't the needle part because I am presently on Victoza so I shoot myself in the stomach every day. I think it is two fold- I have heard it can cause weight gain (which Diamacron definitely did) and I think it means I am admitting defeat in trying to control the diabetes on my own. I take Metformin, Diamacron and Victoza, I work out lots (it doesn't usually show a big difference after- I think I am so used to exercise I am immune to it!) and my A1C has been mid 7s for over a year. Any advice/pros/cons etc from people who are on insulin or have avoided it? If I go on it am I stuck on it forever? Is it alot of work? You can message me as well as write on here. Thanks

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    You don't mention diet and your diary isn't open. Have you tried restricting carbs?

I don't take insulin, but wouldn't have a problem with it if a low-carb diet/exercise/other meds were no longer working. I haven't had to make that decision yet, but I actually lean towards taking insulin rather than an insulin-stimulating drug.

If your pancreas can no longer produce the insulin you need, then you need it. It doesn't mean you're a failure, it means the diabetes has progresses to a point where insulin is needed.
  • glenner
    Options
    I guess that is probably a large part of my failure- I will be fine for awhile with low carbs then I am terrible. I can't seem to get the self control part permanently. When I am low carb is it a lot better but it seems like now I am more and more carb sensitive so when I do fall off the wagon the spike in blood sugar is higher and lasts longer.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I had some health problems and was put on steroids for a few months. They caused a spike on BG, so I was taken off Metformin and put on insulin. I found that taking insulin was very restrictive as far as eating out, traveling, etc, and just a pain having to shoot up 2-5 times a day. I went from low carb (50-100 grams per day) to very low carb (25+- carbs per day) and, for the first time in 10 years (dxéd in 2003) my BG was so low that I was taken off all diabetes meds and now control it by just diet.

Most of the T2Ds that I know of that have been taken off their meds have controlled their diabetes through a low carb, high fat diet. Eating low carb like I do may seem drastic, but even more drastic is having your feet amputated, going blind, having organ failure, etc. Any blood glucose over 140 will cause damage to your body.
  • glenner
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. My mind knows it is important to stay low carb- it is my stupid mouth that forgets!!!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed, I was put on insulin immediately. I was incredibly fortunate that I was able to get off of it after a time, but it was the very first tool they used. At the time, it was urgent. My A1C was 10.9. There are some possible benefits to insulin instead of the combination you're using. It may work in and of itself, without needing to use other medications as well. You may get away with a long acting insulin that you only need to use once at night, or at night and morning. If you're in the mid-7's, you may not need a lot... just a boost.

There's so much emotional resistance to insulin, and I went through it all, but the truth is, for me, it helped tremendously until my body was able to begin producing it's own insulin again, and/or the resistance decreased. Like others have said, it's not a failure. If you're having a tough time being consistent, maybe this is a step you need to take until the rest of you catches up. Your body will benefit, and you can "get yourself there" to help the diet catch up the way you need it to.

Good luck!
  • mmcba
    mmcba Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm new, my name is Michelle. I, too, fought meal time insulin for years. I, too, was afraid of admitting defeat, that the disease had won. I had given up. Actually, when my primary care doc suggested it, I switched docs. Then, my new doc suggested I try Lantus, so I did but was taking close to 100 units without any improvement. It was then that I decided to start seeing a diabetologist. He didn't do much for me but add more drugs such as Actos, Byetta and Bydurion. My A1c went higher but my weight came down (due to the Byetta). I was happy about that but just wasn't happy with the doctor. So, once again...I decided to change doctors and started seeing an Endocrinologist in a different city about 50 miles away. He immediately suggested meal time insulin. He gave me no choice and took me off of Metformin, Actos and the Byetta. My pancreas is no longer producing insuin, so I need it. I'm on Apidra and Lantus. My A1c dropped 2 pts since starting the Apidra...but, my weight has gone up about 30 lbs. Sooooo frustrating. When I first started the Apidra, I stopped eating all processed carbs, but now, I'm back into my old habits, and my sugar is running high again.

I'm hoping that by seeking out support of other diabetics, I can get back on track.

I look forward to meeting you and participating on the board.

I plan to start journaling tomorrow. Diabetes has not defeated me! I just needed a new strategy.

Michelle
  • cherylclark2011
    cherylclark2011 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, i know what you mean and I have always felt the same myself, I have been diagnosed a little under a year and my AC1 was 10.2 and they allowed me 3 months to try and control it with diet and while i did lower it i didnt lower it enough to be given the all clear to try for a baby.

So i am now on humlin i at night time only and (metformin through the day) the insulin had an effect immediately on the lowest starting dose and made dramatic difference to my morning BG's (always my highest readin) and this has had a knock on affect through out the day and I am now in the healthy range most days.

I was told by my doctor that once I conceived and had the baby or I could control my BG completely through diet then I could come off it, and since i strating the insulin i have lost weight at a better rate than I was despite controlling carbs
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I started my journey with diabetes as a gestational diabetic and then was diagnosed as type 2 about 6 weeks after baby was born. I was on insulin and Metformin during my pregnancy, but post partum I opted for insulin. I am hoping that once this baby weight comes off to get off the insulin.

I know what you mean about feeling like you are failing, but if I am truthful, I am thankful for the insulin. I take 25 units NPH at bedtime and that is enough to control my blood glucose all day. It's one less thing I have to worry about, and I remain hopeful that once I get to a healthy weight again (my baby is 5 months old) that I can stop insulin all together and be diet controlled.

I have been struggling to lose weight and I am not sure if that's because I am on insulin or because I am nursing or a combination- with my first baby I didn't start to see significant weight loss until I stopped nursing at 16 months.
  • PandasBox
    PandasBox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was afraid to make the leap over to insulin but do not regret it one bit. I hated feeling ill after eating a meal. Yes its a bit inconvenient and sometimes can suck in certain travel situations BUT there are always ways around it. I find it hard to lose weight but I think thats just the diabetes in general regardless of pills or insulin. You can choose to learn to incorporate it into your lifestyle or let it define who you are.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have been on insulin a couple of times- it is a hassle but really not too terrible. If you are taking the victozia, it shouldn't be too bad.

I am not on insulin now- was able to go off of it shortly after my twins were born (they are almost 7). I am worried that my endocrinologist will try to put me back on it too though. She has recommended that I try the Metabolic Research Center diet program- it is a low carb/high protein diet. Her office has had a lot of patients come off of their medications on this program so I figure it might be worth a try to stay off of insulin.

Good luck!!
  • Multifacet
    Multifacet Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been a type 2 for over 20 yrs and have been on insulin for probably 10 plus years. I am currently on the Omnipod pump. I have gone from using 100 units a day of fast acting Novolog to no more than 20 units a day presently and quite often no insulin at all. Some on this site would say I took the easy way out by having weight loss surgery, but I had to do something to change things in a drastic way. I had been down a long road. So, as I read your post, I think, if I could only go back to when I was diagnosed. We know so much more now but I would eliminate all white food from my diet, which is what I do currently. Besides having the surgery, the bariatric center has me on a low carb, high protein diet and it is working. I get critical comments on my "low calorie" diary but it is what my support system prescribes. So, again, if I could go back I would do things differently. I lost a lot of years. My advice is just that, before it gets so far as to need insulin, or if you are at that crossroad, consider drastic change in your food plan, but do it with support from a medical invironment. You have to have the mindset to make a total lifestyle change. Its the only way. Be patient with yourselves. We didn't get here overnight!
  • emboss03
    emboss03 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My doctor explained it really well to me.... He said this: You can be the most disciplined diabetic out there... testing all the time, watching carbs, exercising.... and no matter what medication you take, it may stop working. Doesn't mean you failed, just means that the medication doesn't help your body anymore. I was put on insulin, along with oral meds, last August. I have had a huge success rate with my A1C dropping and have actually been taken off one of my meds and put on a different one. I also have been able to lower the dose of my oral meds because of it. Insulin works better for my body.... it may work better for yours too. Oral meds only go so far to help. I figured I would rather give myself ONE shot a day and MAYBE an oral med here and there, than take a bunch of oral meds all the time. Eventually my doc wants to get me off of oral meds alltogether and just keep me on insulin since it works so well. I haven't had the nasty side effects of insulin either (weight gain).

Don't feel like being on insulin has made you a failure.... it hasn't!!! Insulin is a great tool in helping you control your blood sugars. There's no defeat in it. Hang in there and PM me if you have any questions!!!
  • glenner
    Options
    My doctor explained it really well to me.... He said this: You can be the most disciplined diabetic out there... testing all the time, watching carbs, exercising.... and no matter what medication you take, it may stop working. Doesn't mean you failed, just means that the medication doesn't help your body anymore. I was put on insulin, along with oral meds, last August. I have had a huge success rate with my A1C dropping and have actually been taken off one of my meds and put on a different one. I also have been able to lower the dose of my oral meds because of it. Insulin works better for my body.... it may work better for yours too. Oral meds only go so far to help. I figured I would rather give myself ONE shot a day and MAYBE an oral med here and there, than take a bunch of oral meds all the time. Eventually my doc wants to get me off of oral meds alltogether and just keep me on insulin since it works so well. I haven't had the nasty side effects of insulin either (weight gain).

Don't feel like being on insulin has made you a failure.... it hasn't!!! Insulin is a great tool in helping you control your blood sugars. There's no defeat in it. Hang in there and PM me if you have any questions!!!
  • glenner
    Options
    You guys are all awesome!!! I am starting to feel much better.