New Rules or Stronglifts 5x5

I've been trying the Stronglifts 5x5 programme for a few weeks but finding it really tough - not making the increases you're meant to, finding the squats very hard to get correct form on and generally feeling demotivated. New Rules sounds more like the kind of programme I am familiar with (and less male-orientated) so I'm thinking of giving it a go.

My question is - am I likely to find the same frustrations as for 5x5 or is there more flexibility for New Rules? Have any of you done both and how do they compare? How quickly are you expected to increase weights in New Rules?

Finally - I have gained weight since doing 5x5 which is really depressing as I was at goal. What are people's experiences of losing/maintaining for New Rules?

Many thanks and all advice appreciated.

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    First of all any type of heavy weight training is going to bounce your scale weight all over the place, best to limit the amount of times you weigh yourself and use measurements as your guide with how you are doing.

I started with NROLFW and then moved onto 5x5 as I like the squats and deadlifts but NROLFW is a fine program, a little long in parts for my liking but that's all down to the individual.

With NR you increase weight when you can easily complete the reps required, so there is no 3 tries at a weight before a deload like 5x5 but 5x5 is designed for fast strength gaining. Although the benefit of NR is single leg exercises which are very beneficial if you play sports.

I am currently going to switch from 5x5 to the new NR Supercharged which is his latest book and allows you to put your own workouts together
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Many thanks - that is really helpful - and yes, my head knows that I mustn't obsess about the scales but I keep getting drawn back! I think that I may give New Rules a go and see how I get on. Then I can go back to 5x5 later if I choose to.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I moved from NR to SL last summer and I'm still recovering the functional strength I lost by only focusing on 5x5. I just purchased supercharged, but have been doing PHAT the past couple of weeks. I found that NR was far superior to SL in working on overall functional strength.

Right now I'm only scale focused because I need do know that I can lift my body quickly through my Spartan Sprint in 8 weeks.

If you get bored going through Stage 1, just cut it a little short since you're not new to lifting.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    I completed New Rules of Lifting for Women and loved it! I am now doing New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. I love love love Supercharged. There is tons of flexibility. It would be great for you.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,106 Member
    I haven't done stronglifts. There are lots of women on mfp who have - and many who really do enjoy stronglifts!

I started out with Body for Life. Followed by NROL4W. Followed by NROL4Abs. And, now I am doing Venus Index.

I really enjoy the NROL series....I also own the NROL4Life and am trying to decide if I should switch to it when I've completed Phase 1 of VI.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Here is a Stronglifts for Women group on MFP that might help if you haven't already found it, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 574 Member
    I was toying with Stronglifts, but I think I'll give NROLFW another go 'round first, then do it. I did join the group, though. I love reading about ladies lifting...lol.