TDEE break . . . I think?

Options
terrigrace
terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
I posted this in the EM2WL website forums ealier, so I hope you will pardon the double post.

I'm trying not to focus on the scale, but I'm not seeing much change in my clothing size, BF %, or measurements. So I'm just looking for some advice. I use a Body Media Fit armband to calculate my TDEE with an occasional check in using Scooby calculator. Two months ago I did a 2 month summary and a Scooby check in and calculated my TDEE at 2200 (FYI: I did a full reset for almost 3 months in the fall) I've been eating 2000 calories for 6 weeks. My weight had been steady (stalled, really) at 162.5. I decided to take a TDEE break and recalculated by running a summary on my BMF and Scooby. From some other postings, I realize that my body fat is a little high to use the Katch-McArdle formula I've been using, so I switched to Mifflin-St. Jeor. My TDEE is now around 2500 calories.

So, my EM2WL friends, do I eat MORE? I've gained 1 1/2 pounds these last two weeks just going up to 2200 calories per day. Or do I drop back to the 2000 that I planned on?

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'd personally stick around the 2000. What is your exercise/daily activity like for them to predict 2200-2500?

I've never personally used a specific calculator, just trial and error, but if you're gaining (and it's not anything else such as excess sodium or TOM) then I wouldn't go any higher. I say this because I wouldn't have thought that 2000 would be low enough that you'd "need" to up them unless you were super busy!
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty active most days, on the "moderate" scale. My BMF armband has me burning an average of 2500 calories per day over the last month, some days it's 2300, others it's more like 2700. I just use Scooby to make sure my armband isn't giving me weird info or something. So I'm pretty sure of my calorie burn. There are ton of reasons why I've gained, I'm sure. I've had thyriod issues off and on, work nights and don't average more than 5 hours of sleep a night, eat a lot of sodium (I'm a total crap eater!), and TOM just ended - even before I started lifting I would gain two weeks out of the month (no matter what I did!) and lose two weeks out of the month. And by the time the month was over I was right back where I started. I seem to still fall in the same pattern now, even though I've been able to increase my calories from 1450 to 2000. I think I'll try to clean up my eating more and watch the sodium better, that usually helps.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I posted this in the EM2WL website forums ealier, so I hope you will pardon the double post.

I'm trying not to focus on the scale, but I'm not seeing much change in my clothing size, BF %, or measurements. So I'm just looking for some advice. I use a Body Media Fit armband to calculate my TDEE with an occasional check in using Scooby calculator. Two months ago I did a 2 month summary and a Scooby check in and calculated my TDEE at 2200 (FYI: I did a full reset for almost 3 months in the fall) I've been eating 2000 calories for 6 weeks. My weight had been steady (stalled, really) at 162.5. I decided to take a TDEE break and recalculated by running a summary on my BMF and Scooby. From some other postings, I realize that my body fat is a little high to use the Katch-McArdle formula I've been using, so I switched to Mifflin-St. Jeor. My TDEE is now around 2500 calories.

So, my EM2WL friends, do I eat MORE? I've gained 1 1/2 pounds these last two weeks just going up to 2200 calories per day. Or do I drop back to the 2000 that I planned on?

Why do you think the BF% is too high to use the Katch BMR.

That is exactly when you should be using it, because it means you have less LBM than expected for your age, weight, height, and those BMR's like Mifflin are going to be inflated more. Those studies were based on healthy weight folks at avg LBM to fat mass ratios.

I'll bet you have a 200-400 calories inflation.

And guess what BMR BMF is using as basis for your calorie burn? Harris BMR, the least accurate and very inflated.

It'll still be accurate for walking type activity and jogging exercise, because that is based on weight and pace only. But what about the other 16 hrs of the day where BMR or a slight factor of it is the main burn.

You could be, and sure sounds like you've proven it, be inflated.