citified lunch options, under 10$

Options
fragilegift
fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
I was in town the other day (Launceston, if that makes a difference) and, of course, lunch time came. I chose a jacket potato, which sounds relatively healthy, until you watch how much they pile on. If it was a regular thing for me to frequent that particular place I could have asked for a half serve I guess.

This got me wondering just WHAT one can buy in the 'city' for lunch that is under 10$ (not including a drink) and preferably around 500 cals or less. Our only green grocer is closed, so fresh fruit isn't an option. [yes, I could take my lunch, but I didn't think I'd be there that long]

Options?

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Not sure what options the have down in Launy, I havent been there in years. There are usually a few places that have pre made salads, make a healthy sandwich etc. It depends what your goals are (calorie intake, macros etc) as to what fits your goals.

My go-to lunch if I don't plan ahead of time is a Vietnamese place around the corner form work. Asian salad with grilled chicken (double meat for me :bigsmile: ), chilli and sesame coriander dressing. Awesome and exactly $10.
  • melissarina
    melissarina Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Sumo salad is generally under $10, and under 500 calories. Otherwise, I tend to get a healthy sandwich made.
  • streetstruck
    Options
    I always go for sumo salad when I'm out, It's my life saver.

Sumo - Beef & Haloumi Salad (Large), 1 large size - 334 calories.

I reckon extra beef would be another 100cals?
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Where I live a lot of places do all day breakfast, so sometimes I get eggs for lunch = 2 eggs (poached, scrambled, or mashed) + tomato & mushrooms makes a healthy yummy low calorie meal under 300 cals. Just don't eat the toast or too much of it as that quickly adds more cals.

+1 to others suggestions of a salad, I usually opt for chicken and/or feta for protein amongst the veg, and choose a balsamic vinegar or something light for dressing.