I'm a runner

Options
cynpin34
cynpin34 Posts: 41 Member
I'm a runner...I like running, I train for 1/2 marathons and enjoy travelling with my girlfriends to such awesome races...I just signed up for one this coming August. I'm also new to Primal/Paleo..exploring both, seem to be staying on the Paleo side though.

Point is I don't plan to stop running. But I've read that I shouldn't. Lift heavy things and move at slow paces...I don't run to fast, but definitely not what he means.

Anyone else in the same boat? And before that big run, what can I have in place of a big ol' dish of spaghetti that will offer me enough carbs??? (night before)

Looking for tips or ideas:) Has anyone read The Paleo Diet for Atheletes? Would you recommend?

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Do what you enjoy. If you feel you need carbs - you can get tons from vegetables, and fruits. Russets and sweet potatoes.
    The reference about not doing it with paleo, really means.. don't use chronic cardio as a fat loss mechanism.
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    On the exercise front I have to agree with Mike - do what you enjoy! If running is your thing, girl do it! You'll be happy, and that is what counts really!
  • wineliketopaz
    Options
    I was just thinking of posting a similar question on here. I ran a pretty miserable 5 miles this weekend and think it was due to my lower carb intake (had been been eating less than 80g).

Eating lower carb will affect your distance running early on, especially if your body has not adjusted to more efficiently burning fat. Everything I read so far is that as you ease into a lower carb lifestyle your body will adjust to rely on burning fat as the energy source.

I'm struggling with the balance of trying to lose weight (using MDA's recommendation of 50-100g of carbs) and upping my running in preparation for a few 1/2 marathons coming in the spring (knowing that I'll need to eat more in the 100-150g).

I'm in the early stages of this so would love to hear from more runners that are undertaking this lifestyle.
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have been eating paleo and crossfitting for about 9 months. I have serious runner's guilt! I recently ran the Disney World 1/2 marathon. My crossfit coach keeps telling me I need to quit running but I love it and I'm not ready to give it up. Also, I've read on many paleo websites that running will hinder weight loss. I am going to take my running training down to 1-2 days per week and continue to crossfit and lift heavy weight until I start training for the Disneyland 1/2 in August. Anyway, I completely understand but I love running and I'm not going to give it up!
  • cynpin34
    cynpin34 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well I feel better now...:) I really didn't want to (or plan on) give it up...its my therepy! And I've always been the kind of walker that figured if I'm walking, I might as well run...It always felt like I wasn't getting enough from walking.

With that being said I've been alternating running days with weight days and after the weight days I go for a walk with the incline up and I can definitely feel that!!! Thanks for the thoughts and responses!
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have been eating paleo and crossfitting for about 9 months. I have serious runner's guilt! I recently ran the Disney World 1/2 marathon. My crossfit coach keeps telling me I need to quit running but I love it and I'm not ready to give it up. Also, I've read on many paleo websites that running will hinder weight loss. I am going to take my running training down to 1-2 days per week and continue to crossfit and lift heavy weight until I start training for the Disneyland 1/2 in August. Anyway, I completely understand but I love running and I'm not going to give it up!

Sorry if this hijacks the thread, but I'm curious how often you CrossFit and run each week and how you did in the half marathon? I do CrossFit 2-3 times a week plus other strength/circuit training with some cardio. I am planning to do my first half in May - and I know I need to get more miles in each week to be prepared.
  • Shane37301
    Shane37301 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are great for a carb source. My main workout is running at the moment until I get through my 10k in the spring. I usually eat 1/2 a banana, or half a serving of dates about 20-30 minutes before I run, and then eat the other half when I finish. I have sweet potatoes usually with lunch and dinner. I can't get enough of them.
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There is a book out there now called The Paleo Diet for Runner's (check the Runner's World website for more info). And it goes through how to prepare before a race.
  • digitalalchemy
    digitalalchemy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out this podcast from Jimmy Moore's blog. He interviewed Tim Olsen, an ultramarathon low-carber, and it might give you some good tips to keep up low-carb while running. Good luck!

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/the-llvlc-show-episode-642-ultramarathon-runner-timothy-olson-thrives-on-a-low-carb-diet/17363
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Sorry if this hijacks the thread, but I'm curious how often you CrossFit and run each week and how you did in the half marathon? I do CrossFit 2-3 times a week plus other strength/circuit training with some cardio. I am planning to do my first half in May - and I know I need to get more miles in each week to be prepared.
    [/quote]

Well, the truth is that I didn't really train and I paid for it! +33 mins from my last 1/2 and I was miserable. Up until the race I was crossfitting 3-4 times per week. I was running but had some heal pain and stopped running about 6 weeks before the race.

That said, going forward I'm planning to work in one long run and one day of speed work with 2-3 days of crossfit.

Sorry, I'm not much help but I'm also curious how other runner/crossfitters make it work.
  • CATHYGAYM
    CATHYGAYM Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with this - eating sweet potatoes, dates , bananas prior to your run. It takes time to learn how much you will have to increase your carbs to have the endurance and energy you need to complete a run comfortably. I think every runner struggles with this and eventually finds what works for them.