When are you going to have another one?

Pepper2185
Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
I keep telling my husband that I love having a baby and that I always want to have one. How about you guys? When are you planning to have another baby?

Are you waiting to reach a health/fitness goal first? Want your kids spaced out a certain number of years? Are you even ready to think about going through labor & delivery again yet?

Replies

• fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    We have a five month old at home and I am ready to have another right now!

In all seriousness, though, we have two and are considering a third, but for now we are saying we are done but are open to expanding within the year. I would like to get rid of about 50 pounds before even considering getting pregnant again.
  • Chriscadia
    Chriscadia Posts: 21 Member
    I have a 3.5yr old and a 2.5 month old. I do want a third one but my husband says he's done. I wouldn't want to have the third anytime soon though. I'd rather have a gap of 3-4yrs. Between my kids I wanted a 2yr gap but it took a year and a half to get pregnant the second time around.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    I want another one.

Three weeks after delivering, I'm ready to start now.

Must be my Irish heritage... I'm only partially joking. :-)

My husband has two sons from a previous marriage (ages 10 and 12). They don't live with us (live in the suburbs with their mom), but come into the city to stay with us on the weekends...Husband definitely wants to take things slow as far as having another is concerned. To make sure we all fit, all our needs are taken care of, etc...he's a good daddy!

I just don't want to wait too long...I'm 35 and he's 40. I don't want to be raising our youngest from a retirement village, you know.

Anyway...

In short, if we go by my timeline, we'll have another one in 2 years. If we go by husband's, it may be more like 4. I'm pretty sure I can win him over on the 2 though. :-)
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    We have been talking about it too and I want another one and I actually got DH to say yeah he does too...lol! He thinks we should start trying right now...I would like to wait till at least summer to start trying...so we will see!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    I love my daughter. She was planned (married 8 years at time of conception!, got degree, lived/traveled abroad, all that good stuff). I wouldn't trade her for anything.
    But I just want the one. One is enough.

I had a super easy pregnancy and a fair delivery (ended up inducing 8 days past due and "needing" epidural, was not my intention on either front), but I still don't want to do it again. Also, I both love and hate breastfeeding. I was spending like 10 hours a day feeding my daughter and she still was only in the 5%. Breastfeeding caused me so much grief. I couldn't leave the house, I could barely get off the couch. If she was sleeping, she would wake up and cry as soon as I set her down. Those first 6 weeks were just crazy! I managed to get a couple hours of freedom weeks 6-8.

In any case, my daughter will be super spoiled! :) Now we need to focus on paying down student loans and eventually settling and buying a house.

I'm trying to con my sister (bff, she's only 11 months older than me, lives 5 minutes away) to have a wee one so my babe can have a brother/sister-cousin.
  • Tinker_and_Bash
    Tinker_and_Bash Posts: 39 Member
    I only want the one for now. I'm so in love with her and I figure, with my stepson being her half brother and only having him wednesdays and weekends, she's in the perfect spot...only child most days but has a sibling on the funnest days! I have a feeling I am going to want another someday ;) If we do, we'll start when Lilli is around 18 months, because they say 2+ years spacing decreases the chances of Autism, which my stepson has. I want to be totally off cigarettes and ideally have lost 75lbs.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I've got 2 already - my son is 3.5 and my daughter 20 months. Not long after my son was born we were already talking about trying for a 2nd, so we waited until he turned 1.

I'd love to have another one but I'm 35 now so if we do try it'll have to be at some point this year, probably when our daughter turns 2 in May.

Our son will be 4 in June and starts school in Sept (we live in England, kids start school at age 4 here) so that'll help, both with childcare costs and only having 1 little one at home. I don't think I could cope with pregnancy running round after 2 of them all day!

I'm terrified of gaining lots of weight though. I'm nearly at goal now and working on toning up now. My BMI is 26 now and I don't look overweight anymore, but I put on so much with my daughter and I was very unhappy and uncomfortable after. I don't know if my self esteem could take another blow like that! I know that the weight gain was partially my own fault as I didn't really exercise and I ate too much, but you can have all the best intentions and then feel crappy in pregnancy.

I've been incredibly lucky with labours and births though - around 7.5 hours with my son, arrived at hospital 10cm dilated, just had a bit of gas and air and no stitches. He was 10 days late. My daughter was 12 days late and induced, just with a pessary. 4 hours 21 mins labour, gas and air, no stitches, home 5 hours after. I'm scared i'd have a horrific labour a 3rd time!

I also struggled to breastfeed both of mine - my son was 7lbs13 at birth and dropped to 6lbs 7 by day 6 and I was told to formula feed by the midwife, so I mix fed for as long as I could. 22 months later my daughter wouldn't stop feeding, i couldn't even go to the loo without her screaming, so after a few days I had to start giving a formula top up, plus I had my 22 month old vying for attention. I was very depressed about it and I'm scared of that happening again.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    I just have one little guy (3 months old).

My husband wants to have three kids, and have them fairly close together. I told him I wanted to wait until I got my old body back before I got pregnant again :)

I could see us trying this spring/summer, and maybe having #2 in early 2014.

@Jenny- I think my brain must've erased most of my labor memories, because I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
  • If I could just keep having babies I Definately would! I love babies & being a mommy!
    But we don't have the resourses to support a large family. I have girls - a 2 yr old & a one yr old (18 months apart.) I would love to try for a boy in a few years but my husband says he's done. I suppose that's best, so that way we can maybe send them to private school...
  • lilmsmayberry
    lilmsmayberry Posts: 16 Member
    I have three, ages are 13, 8, and 4 months. I am done. I'm ready to get my body back and keep it that way and I'm sure that if I nurse another baby, I will surely be playing kickball with my breasts.
  • suzannearaya1976
    suzannearaya1976 Posts: 9 Member
    That is awesome!! lol
  • suzannearaya1976
    That is awesome!! lol I have a 4 month old too lilmsmayberry!
    We are done!!! We have a 4.5 year old boy and a 4 month old Baby girl. I'm 36 and although the second delivery was way better than the first even with NO drugs - I am still done!
    My husband did throw it out there that we should try for a 3rd while I was 9 months pregger's for our daughter. I don't think he;ll ask me that question again! Maybe if we were in our 20's, even late 20's.!
  • lilmsmayberry
    lilmsmayberry Posts: 16 Member
    We are done!!! We have a 4.5 year old boy and a 4 month old Baby girl. I'm 36 and although the second delivery was way better than the first even with NO drugs - I am still done!
    My husband did throw it out there that we should try for a 3rd while I was 9 months pregger's for our daughter. I don't think he;ll ask me that question again! Maybe if we were in our 20's, even late 20's.!

I'm 31 now, and even though I have more patience this time around because I'm older, I'm sure lacking the energy. My husband doesn't want anymore either. I'm sure he is just tired........ Of watching me get up with the baby. Haha!!!!!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    If DH had his way we'd have 3 kids back to back! Realistically, though, we'll probably space our kids by about 2 years. We don't know for sure yet how many we'll have, but we'd like at least 2. DH wants 3, I want either 2 or 4. We haven't settled on a definite number because you never know what life/Mother Nature have in store. My parents only had 2 even though they wanted more. They had a hard time getting pregnant with my younger brother (they were aiming for a 2 year age gap but we're almost 4 years apart), and finances and the nature of my dad's work (lots of travel, some times for months at a time) made having more than 2 unrealistic.

For me it's not the labour/delivery that is a turn off, it's the aftermath! I had a huge 2nd degree tear, lots of stitches, lots of swelling and bruising, scar tissue that is still sensitive almost 12 weeks PP.... Not to mention the lack of sleep, raging hormones, baby's weight loss issues, and BFing struggles that occurred during the first 6 weeks. I do miss the early days when she was super tiny and feel like she is growing up way too quickly, but I'm in no rush to do it again soon.

Plus there's the vain side of me that wants to be my old, slim self again for a while before taking the plunge again. :laugh:
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Wow- I have a 3 month old too, and can't even imagine having another one yet- lol. But I also have a 2 1/2 year old who is the most strong-willed little munchikin I know...so 2 is about all I can handle right now.

I've always wanted 3, but I just don't know if we can swing it financially...AND I'm really afraid of having another girl. Cause 3 little girls turn into 3 teenage girls and that scares the crap out of me. If we could guarantee it'd be a boy, I'd for sure do it. As for now, we'll have to wait and see how things go. If Jovie's anything like her big sister, we will be definitely be done with just 2!! Haha.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Wow- I have a 3 month old too, and can't even imagine having another one yet- lol. But I also have a 2 1/2 year old who is the most strong-willed little munchikin I know...so 2 is about all I can handle right now.

I've always wanted 3, but I just don't know if we can swing it financially...AND I'm really afraid of having another girl. Cause 3 little girls turn into 3 teenage girls and that scares the crap out of me. If we could guarantee it'd be a boy, I'd for sure do it. As for now, we'll have to wait and see how things go. If Jovie's anything like her big sister, we will be definitely be done with just 2!! Haha.

lol interesting you say that about girls! My eldest is a boy and he was soooo easy as a baby in comparison to my daughter. She's 20 months now and a little terror! She walked at 9.5 months, she's speaking in little sentences already, refusing naps, having tantrums, she's just too clever for her own good! My son is 3.5 now and going through a bit of a cheeky phase and answering us back, but generally he's a lot easier than my daughter.

I agree with you about teenagers too. I'm a secondary school teacher and the girls can be more of a handful than the boys.

So, if I did take the plunge to try for a 3rd, i really hope it's a boy :laugh:
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    I have 2 already and we MIGHT have a 3rd but no more. We knew from the beginning that we at least wanted a minimum of 2 but no more than 3. I had a horrible recovery (like jls8209) with the 1st, plus she was a horrible sleeper & nurser, so I couldn't even think about going through that again for at least a year. We waited a year and a half before trying for the 2nd & it happened the 1st try lol. The 2nd one was 100% easier (the labor, recovery, & the baby) so before we left the hospital I was saying lets do it again! However it is still up in the air if we will have another but it will not be before this baby is one before we start trying. Also no more than 2 years or so because I am already 33 & would prefer not to have any after 35, that's just my own preference. Well also because there's no way we could have THREE in daycare at the same time!
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Devon is 16 weeks old and we're talking about trying for another one here in the next few months. We want them pretty close together, so sooner rather than later. I'd love to reach my goal weight, 15 pounds lighter than right now, but if not, I'd still love to be pregnant again. It was all fairly easy the first time, so no qualms there.

Pepper, I agree on not remembering the labor/pains.

We only want 2, so I get one more chance for a girl! :)
  • suzannearaya1976

I'm 31 now, and even though I have more patience this time around because I'm older, I'm sure lacking the energy. My husband doesn't want anymore either. I'm sure he is just tired........ Of watching me get up with the baby. Haha!!!!!

The "that is awesome" comment was for your kickball comment! lol
    I was 31 when we had our first, and he is awesome and was such an easy baby - not so much now, lol, but he's just testing his boundaries!
    Being 36 and having our second has really kicked my but!!! Gained only 12 pounds with the 1st and lost 35 when I left the hospital. Gained 30 with our second, plus had some to loose before I even got pregnant. She is a totally different baby than our Boy. She cries, like all the time....I have to hold her, like all the time. I'm exhausted, like all the time...I know what you mean about Hubby's, mine always tells everyone how tired he is....and I remind him politely (not) that he has not had to get up with her once because I'm nursing!!! He says he hears her, but all I hear is snoring, lol!!!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    We would love 2 more kids (seeing my baby totally erased my labor pains, lol). I currently have a 2.5yr old girl and just gave birth to a baby boy 10days ago. Both of my kids are super easy and my newborn is an excellent sleeper! Breastfeeding is going amazing and recovery was fast. I would do it again! but we both said we want to wait 2.5-3yrs before trying again. I get pregnant right away without really trying. I just have one oopsie day and i'm usually pregnant. LOL