Time for a deficit break?

Options

Replies

• Gapwedge01
    Options
    Update 2/6/13

My food scales was delivered yesterday. My review later in the post, but first some breaking news. I have lost 2 pounds!!! Yes, 2 pounds. The reset has done its job. From 10/24/12 to 2/5/13 no weight loss after losing 29 pounds. I steadily increased my calories to 2700 at which point I began to notice a weight gain so I didn't go any higher as my calculated TDEE was 2800. Maybe I would have stopped gaining and could have progressed up to 2800, but I felt I was ready to cut. I cut back to 2200 rather than a 10% cut since I still have so much to lose. I lost whatever I gained during the reset process and now have dropped 2 below my stall weight.
    Now, for the food scale. Best purchase I have made since beginning this journey 7/1/12. Read the reviews on Amazon and you will read what I would write here. Almonds so far have been my biggest shock so far as to how calorie dense they are. Measuring chicken breasts, etc has also been helpful. I am looking forward to my dose of peanut butter next. This is going to be an invaluable tool for me.

Agree, you can take more than 10% cut.

And since a lot of your TDEE is huge part fat burning with the walking, don't need to replenish that anyway.

Great to see the reset helped. Think about the improvements your body got during those weeks too with increased lifting.

Don't expect those fast of improvements to continue with the deficit though.
    And sorry you'll probably be hungry now. So easy to get used to eating more, huh?

LOL, yes the first week at deficit the hungries appeared for sure but I stuck to my 2200. And to answer your other question I have definitely seen a body composition improvement since my lifting began in earnest in early December. I can live with a smaller % weight loss now that I know I am eating properly. If my body comp continues to improve all the better. Thanks Heybales.:drinker:
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks for telling your story on here, it's really helpful to see EM2WL working.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Thanks for telling your story on here, it's really helpful to see EM2WL working.

You are welcome. I mentally struggled with this method in the beginning until I educated myself.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Update 2/8

I have dropped another 3 pounds or a total of 5 since my 90 day plateau and subsequent reset. Now, obviously most of this early loss is water loss and I expect the losses to slow down. I am eating at a 500 calorie deficit. TDEE 2800-2300= 500. My BMR is around 2000. I was at 2200 for the first few days after reset, but bumped it up to 2300. The better news is I have dropped 2% BF since reset.
    Exercise wise I have temporarily stopped any cardio during this time, but have stayed with my lifting every other day routine. My body composition today is showing a lot more definition (5 pounds and 2% BF loss will do that).
    I do plan to re-start my cardio, but will be keeping my strength training year round. Before when my active cycling season begins I dropped my winter lifting. Not this year. My 1 year anniversary here on MFP is 7/1/13.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Excellent news. So that 2% fat loss, is more than lbs loss isn't it, so gaining LBM while losing more fat?
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm truly happy for you - good that you stuck it out, the smart way! Are your clothes fitting much more loosely?
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    I'm truly happy for you - good that you stuck it out, the smart way! Are your clothes fitting much more loosely?

They are. And since I am apple shaped, my belly where it has been most evident I was over weight is starting to flatten.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Excellent news. So that 2% fat loss, is more than lbs loss isn't it, so gaining LBM while losing more fat?

Yes, the lifting has been key to my change I think.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    2/14/13. Update

Lost another pound. From 243 stall weight down to 237. Upped my calories up to 2300 from 2200. No hard cardio during these 2 weeks just lifting 3-4 times/ week.
  • heybales
    Options
    2/14/13. Update

Lost another pound. From 243 stall weight down to 237. Upped my calories up to 2300 from 2200. No hard cardio during these 2 weeks just lifting 3-4 times/ week.

Great on the loss, but.....

Bummer, you are going to be too bulky riding the bike.

2873294990_67af3b3744.jpg
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    2/14/13. Update

Great on the loss, but.....

Bummer, you are going to be too bulky riding the bike.

2873294990_67af3b3744.jpg

ROFLMAO!!! Going to steal this pic for my profile pic!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Congrats on breaking your plateau!

I do have a genuine question; why does eating at TDEE for a while help? What is the science behind it?
  • heybales
    Options
    Congrats on breaking your plateau!

I do have a genuine question; why does eating at TDEE for a while help? What is the science behind it?

Dieting is a stress. Amount of deficit causing more or less, and specific to your system.
    Combined with other stresses, frequent intense exercise, daily life, foods that are tough or your body to handle, ect.
    That stress messes up hormones to some degree, may not have big negative effect, may be really bad effect.
    It allows the hormones to get back to normal.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting your details and then regular updates..I am on a plateau myself so it is really helpful to read thru the process that other people follow!
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Thanks for posting your details and then regular updates..I am on a plateau myself so it is really helpful to read thru the process that other people follow!

Thanks. I hope everyone realizes that the reason of my rather shortish reset was I never was on a very low calorie diet. I did however eat below my BMR for 4 months. I am coming up in a couple of weeks of eating at TDEE maintenance level for a week before going back to deficit eating. I will cycle every 4-6 weeks.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    2/19/13 update.

Well since I had lost some ready big pounds so far this month after starting my deficit from the recent reset I was not too disappointed nor surprised I didn't lose anything this week. The better news is since the reset I have lost 3% more BF from 25 to 22%. What I have done during this reset is lifting 3-4 times a week with a rest day between lifts and active recovery HR aerobics from mostly walks and 8% incline walks on the treadmill @ 2.5 mph keeping my HR in the recovery zone.
    I am going to take a deficit break in March and eat at TDEE for a week while maintaining my exercise routine.
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've only just come across this thread and want to congratulate you on your progress so far. What a great testament to the whole Eating More philosophy.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    2/19/13 update.

Well since I had lost some ready big pounds so far this month after starting my deficit from the recent reset I was not too disappointed nor surprised I didn't lose anything this week. The better news is since the reset I have lost 3% more BF from 25 to 22%. What I have done during this reset is lifting 3-4 times a week with a rest day between lifts and active recovery HR aerobics from mostly walks and 8% incline walks on the treadmill @ 2.5 mph keeping my HR in the recovery zone.
    I am going to take a deficit break in March and eat at TDEE for a week while maintaining my exercise routine.

Absolutely awesome!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    From a philosophical standpoint, I'm a cynic and minimalist by nature. I apply much of that perception with clients and feel six months is the longest one should remain in a state of calorie restriction regardless of it's degree of deficit. Due to psychological adaptations, many people maintain deficits for too long whether it be intentionally or - at worst - unintentionally which really leads to further complication and frustration.
  • jkchampton
    Options
    Just read your story. Congrats! I am new to this...resetting now. I noticed that you stop cardio at times. I know that lots of cardio is pointless and weight lifting is most important, but why do you stop? Someone else mentioned that people don't tend to gain as much during reset when they drop cardio. Why is that? Just wondering if it would help me to take a cardio break. Thanks.