Recovering from Surgery, Holiday Feasts and Medications

Greetings all,

I'm 50 years old, and female. I've served in the military for 30 years. I was first enlisted in the Navy in 1982, and served as an aviation electrician and Aircrewman for 5 years active duty and four years reserve, then went into the medical field.

Nothing has been as difficult for me these days as trying to keep my weight and fitness levels up. Right now, I'm a medical provider in the military (nurse practitioner/midwife) and most of my days are spent in clinic seeing patients from early hours to late hours. When I come home, I'm exhausted and all I can do is eat and go to bed. My daily meals are on the run. Fast foods, whatever I can get.

Recently I had surgery. I'm 5'8" and my weight went up to over 200#. My cutoff weight is 170#. Generally I run 190# and have to exercise like hell before the PRT to either make weight or pass the tape. More than anything, I hate getting taped.

Since my surgery, I walk and gently exercise, but the surgery has limited me quite a bit. I recently found this program, and in 1 week, I've dropped 5 pounds. I'm on convalescent leave for a month, but my biggest worry is that I'll gain the weight right back when I start work. I'm hoping I can develop network friends and use this program to keep me on target. If I keep losing weight at a steady pace and work back up to a decent exercise routine (once the MD allows me) then I should actually be down to my goal of 170 which would be a HUGE relief.

My biggest enemy is my appetite. Unless you've had this condition, you don't understand. I am literally hungry all of the time. A friend of mine recently told me about Phentermine, a prescription weight loss drug. As a nurse practitioner/healthcare provider, we're always told to try to get patients to improve their diets, exercise, etc. and we don't usually prescribe prescription drugs.

Over a week ago, I asked my doctor to prescribe it to help me. I studied all the reports, and the concerns over increased blood pressure, etc. But here's the thing. If a person is overweight, then they run the risk of diabetes, stroke, heart attack, and various other diseases. So why be so hesitant to prescribe a drug that can help someone lose weight and avoid those health problems? Obesity is the greatest contributor to health problems in the United States and health care providers should not be skittish about prescribing a medication that can help them overcome their disease.

So, I started the Phentermine over on the 16th of January. I started this program on the 19th. So far I've lost 5 pounds. The Phentermine keeps my appetite away. I mean I really don't feel the urge to eat. Right now I eat because I know I'm supposed to, to keep up my health, etc. And this program helps me monitor the calories and the exercise to make sure I'm not undereating, exercising enough, drinking enough water, etc.

If any of you have had struggles like mine, I'd love to hear about them. If you have questions about the Phentermine, I'm happy to answer what I know. Take care and thanks all for being here.