rice and quinoa?

Jxnsmma
Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
Yes or no or maybe in the 20%? Ive read both ways. What about you guys?

Replies

• bonnieellison96
    bonnieellison96 Posts: 50 Member
    I don't do either because I don't need the carbs lol. Rice is a grain, so according to paleo "guidelines", it's a no go. Quinoa is a seed, so that means yes technically, but it has a TON of carbs which will cause spikes in your blood sugar which part of what we're trying to avoid with Paleo-it also has a protein that can cause the same tummy troubles as gluten, so it really depends on your carb needs and whether you have a gluten sensitivity-I think it's ok in moderation if you tolerate it well though =)
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Nope. Not me. I have a hard enough time staying under my carb allotment eating only meat, veg, and nuts...

Oh, and my protein shake. But that only has one carb per serving, so it's not a huge deal.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Strict no, but yes I did add rice back in. It's inexpensive filler for dinner and I'm limited on what nuts I tolerate so I use rice flour for the occassional baked treats. I don't care for the texture of quinoa so it wasn't really part of my diet anyway, and if the protein is similar to gluten, better not as I have to be gluten free.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    up to this point in my eating, no to both. but i don't like quinoa anyway and given the choice i'd choose wild rice over the standard stuff. i did read one article that says wild rice is a grass rather than a grain but to this point i've not missed it.
    i think, if i needed the carbs, i'd most likely want lentils as i love thick indian curries.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Rice...Generally, no, while I'm trying to lose weight. I'd rather fill my belly with vegetables. I will not ever again eat boxed rice/seasoning mixes like I used to.

But, when I eat Thai food, I sometimes put 1-2 heaping TB's of white rice on my plate. It makes eating curries so much nicer. And since I don't usually eat rice, I don't worry about that little bit. I try not to put more than that on my plate because then I will feel too bloated and full. I view it as a treat.

Fitbomb did a great write-up on rice, and white vs brown: http://www.fitbomb.com/2011/10/more-than-you-wanted-to-know-about-rice.html

Quinoa - a hot debate in the Paleo world. Some say yes, some say no. I think of it this way... while I'm trying to lose weight, I'd rather get my protein and fiber from other less carb-heavy sources. I like quinoa, but it's not like I ever crave it or miss it. But... if someone served me some quinoa, or it was in an otherwise healthy dish... I'd eat it and enjoy it without guilt.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    The only time I eat any type of rice is when I have Chinese - and usually it is brown rice. and usually just a little bit...

Quinoa - nope too many carbs...I have found some recipies that call for Quinoa I can substitute riced cauliflower
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I'm surprised to see this topic here in the primal/paleo forum.

Rice and quinoa may not be as "bad" as wheat, but it still isn't "food" in my opinion. (Quinoa would rate better than rice imo.) If you already know about this lifestyle, no doubt you've seen some of the same info as I have about the subject.

However, some people may be able to have rice and quinoa on occasion and seem fine and if they enjoy it, there's no reason that they shouldn't do what they want. For me, I'm not going to say that I'd never have a bite (but it's NEVER wheat, ever) but I just don't even like most grains anymore. (I still have a bowl of popcorn once in a blue moon.) Why even tempt going back to being severely sick and fat. No, thanks.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    no, no , no rice & quinoa are not paleo IMO
    I am a super strict paleo lol
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    At the Sushi restaurant! YES. >.>

But otherwise I go for 'riced' cauliflower or eggplant.

But it won't kill you to have an occasional bite or so with a favorite meal. Of course, I'm more Primal than Paleo, and I've been known to have the occasional oatmeal cookie.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    the reason its in this forum is because ive read on paleo websites that white rice is the least bad of the carbs and that quinoa is allowed because its a seed. Just testing the waters.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Rice is a grain, and is therefore a Paleo no-no for the stricties out there.

But... that fitbomb post does a great job explaining why some people are not so strict about it, and why white rice is probably better than brown rice.
    http://www.fitbomb.com/2011/10/more-than-you-wanted-to-know-about-rice.html

From his post:
    Rice doesn’t contain gluten, for one. And while it does contain anti-nutrients, most of them are located in the hull and bran of the rice seed, and can be lost or neutralized through milling and cooking processes.
    (...)
    if you stick with white rice (which doesn’t contain the phytate and trypsin inhibitor content of the less-milled brown rice) and you cook it properly (which neutralizes the haemagglutinin-lectin), you don’t have much to worry about from an anti-nutrient perspective.
    (...)
    But just because white rice won’t destroy you doesn’t mean that it’s some kind of super-food. “White, milled, polished rice is basically pure starch… It is essentially a blank slate, nothing all that bad about it, but nothing all that great, either.” Rice can be tasty, but it’s really nothing more than empty, starchy calories.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    White rice is considered to be one of the most easily digestible non problematic of grains, and some will argue that wild rice is a seed as well rather than a grain. In the end, it's a matter of goals and preference. If you are looking to be 100% strict paleo, then no they are not something you would include.

For myself, a more moderate approach works in terms of how I feel and what is sustainable. I have no option but to be wheat, gluten and dairy free because of allergic reactions. Including things like rice crackers in my diet makes the other restrictions more tollerable.

Best advice I would say is to cut both out for awhile and then add them back one at a time and see.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    I wouldn't even consider it in the 20%. I consider it fully Primal.

Quinoa I've only tried three times and, dayum, is it good. White rice I've recently reintroduced (went throughout the whole of 2012 thinking I was allergic to it = uneducated coeliac was uneducated) and, hey, it's great.

If someone's goal was weight loss... Hmm. Tricky. A month or so ago, I wouldn't have recommended either. Sweet and white potatoes? Hell yeah, but rice and quinoa? They're both very calorie dense and quite easy to consume - or so I thought. Since reintroducing white rice though, it nearly did the impossible during one of my PWO feeds: it nearly filled me up.
    Yes, my never ending pit of a stomach was nearly satiating by those little white specks, but I conquered in the end!... Sorry. Ahem.
    You get my point. I can eat a lot (kg of potatoes with a pound of meat in one meal) and rice nearly stopped me. To a normal, non-piggish person, it could potentially be great. Also, white rice is quite tasty - hell of a lot better than that brown rice.

My advice? Try it. Srsly. Disregard carb content. Cook up 100g of uncooked white rice - about 350kcals of it - and serve with some kinda meat and veggies. Watch how that rice expands; holy hell, it fills the whole bowl.

It's all about personal preference. Rice may work for you, or it may be a disaster - IMO, there's no reason it can't become a regular meal for you, so long as you still eat your veggies, meats, etc. Me? I'm fine with it, though I d prefer potatoes still - try as hard as I can, it's nigh impossible to make chips out of rice granules.
    Maybe a pudding would work, though. Mmm... Thanks for the idea! :D
  • thanks for the article about rice..was interesting and an easy read.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Interesting info
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Some rice is OK if you tolerate it. Try not eating it for a month, then eat it daily for a week. Some people actually react worse to rice than gluten.

Thankfully I deal with it fairly well. Not great, but good enough that I can enjoy a night of sushi once every few months. That's the only time I have rice.

Quinoa: No. No.

Also, no.
  • JohnNull
    Holy freakin' crap. Giving a quick scan above, I see some pro-quinoa talk? I'm kinda horrified. Doing a 2.3 second search:

Well, you’ve likely heard the expression, “If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck…” Quinoa is botanically not a grain, but because it has evolved in a similar biological niche, Quinoa has similar properties to grains, including chemical defense systems that irritate the gut. In the case of Quinoa, it contains soap-like molecules called saponins. Unlike gluten, which attaches to a carrier molecule in the intestines, saponins simply punch holes in the membranes of the microvilli cells. Yes, that’s bad. Saponins are so irritating to the immune system that they are used in vaccine research to help the body mount a powerful immune response. The bottom line is if you think grains or grain-like items like Quinoa are healthy or benign, you are not considering the full picture."

- Robb Wolf
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Holy freakin' crap. Giving a quick scan above, I see some pro-quinoa talk? I'm kinda horrified. Doing a 2.3 second search:

Well, you’ve likely heard the expression, “If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck…” Quinoa is botanically not a grain, but because it has evolved in a similar biological niche, Quinoa has similar properties to grains, including chemical defense systems that irritate the gut. In the case of Quinoa, it contains soap-like molecules called saponins. Unlike gluten, which attaches to a carrier molecule in the intestines, saponins simply punch holes in the membranes of the microvilli cells. Yes, that’s bad. Saponins are so irritating to the immune system that they are used in vaccine research to help the body mount a powerful immune response. The bottom line is if you think grains or grain-like items like Quinoa are healthy or benign, you are not considering the full picture."

- Robb Wolf

Dayum, really?

I checked it out pre-consumption and in an interview he said it was okay if soaked and if you can tolerate it. (LINK http://therxreview.com/robb-wolf-interview-part-2/ ) I checked those both off my list - soaked and it didn't screw with my coeliac bowels. Thank God.
    Interesting thing, though. I've only had it a few times - thanks for sharing.

Rice is nicer, anyway. Sorta. It's like the carb source equivalent of tuna as a protein source; pretty tasteless, boring on it's own, absorbs the flavour of whatever spices/condiments you put with it, and shouldn't exactly be the staple of your diet.
  • JohnNull
    You're welcome. I was kind of crushed when I found out about it. I've actually loved quinoa. When I first found out about it, I had it daily for a month. Just not willing to risk that. I'll swap for bacon.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Generally no. Especially if you're trying to lose weight.

I've experimented with getting some white rice in while working out and trying to bulk (sweet potatoes are good, but sometimes you want something else) and it's never caused me problems, but for the most part, I'd say it's best to stay away.

As others have said, I'm also a sucker for sushi, so once in a while I'll treat myself to some.