When to decrease cut levels

Options
Linli_Anne
Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
Initially I had wanted to have the scale read 175. I would still like it to get there, but that isn't the end all be all, and my efforts so far have become about so much more than just the number on the scale. (<-- this is a big deal for someone somewhat addicted to the scale).

I workout about 5 days a week right now, doing Jillian Michael's Ripped In 30, or 6 week 6 pack, and every so often some intervals on my treadmill (like 3 times a month). I am eating at TDEE - 15%, so my net caloric intake averages out to 1730 a day (that is a sedentary TDEE -15%, and I eat back most of my exercise calories as best as I can).

I have been having consistant losses of 0.8 pounds each week for the last month that I have been doing EM2WL, and I am now about 15 pounds away from that scale number of 175.

I am wondering though, at what point I should go up to the next cut level (from -15% to -10%). I am going to be starting the NROL4W in February, and am more interested now in losing body fat, gaining lean body mass and am looking forward to how that will change my body for the better.

I love how sustainable my choices feel following EM2WL - I am not deprived of anything, am making healthy choices and aware of how food fuels me (both positively and negatively), so I'm not really concerned with the length of time...transformation is a present day activity, not a future event!

Thanks for the input!!

Replies

• Gapwedge01
    Options
    Maybe back off your cardio and stay with your lifting schedule and stay at -15%. Nothing wrong with -10% either IMO.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Initially I had wanted to have the scale read 175. I would still like it to get there, but that isn't the end all be all, and my efforts so far have become about so much more than just the number on the scale. (<-- this is a big deal for someone somewhat addicted to the scale).

I workout about 5 days a week right now, doing Jillian Michael's Ripped In 30, or 6 week 6 pack, and every so often some intervals on my treadmill (like 3 times a month). I am eating at TDEE - 15%, so my net caloric intake averages out to 1730 a day (that is a sedentary TDEE -15%, and I eat back most of my exercise calories as best as I can).

I have been having consistant losses of 0.8 pounds each week for the last month that I have been doing EM2WL, and I am now about 15 pounds away from that scale number of 175.

I am wondering though, at what point I should go up to the next cut level (from -15% to -10%). I am going to be starting the NROL4W in February, and am more interested now in losing body fat, gaining lean body mass and am looking forward to how that will change my body for the better.

I love how sustainable my choices feel following EM2WL - I am not deprived of anything, am making healthy choices and aware of how food fuels me (both positively and negatively), so I'm not really concerned with the length of time...transformation is a present day activity, not a future event!

Thanks for the input!!

I'd vote for 10% when you hit 10 lbs to go to a healthy weight.

If new to lifting, you'll make LBM gains and likely some muscle gains too when you start lifting, even at 15% deficit.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Have you taken a TDEE diet break at all during your cut?
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options

No break - started out right away with a 15% cut when I started following EM2WL. I wasn't VLCD for long before that, eating between 1200-1500 for about 2 months.

I had toyed with doing a week at maintenance before starting in to NROL4W but not sure that I will really want to have a whole week without exercise....never thought I would fell that way.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options

No break - started out right away with a 15% cut when I started following EM2WL. I wasn't VLCD for long before that, eating between 1200-1500 for about 2 months.

I had toyed with doing a week at maintenance before starting in to NROL4W but not sure that I will really want to have a whole week without exercise....never thought I would fell that way.

You could do a week or two at maintenance while still exercising if it concerns you. That's what I would do to shake it up! Then probably a 10% cut when you start NROL4W. You'll want the extra calories then!