Running is Boring

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
Let me explain: I'm very enthusiastic about this app. I just started week 7 and am running 25 minutes without stopping. And I never thought I'd be able to run for more than five minutes at a time. The thing is...running for 25 minutes without intervals or any sort of change is sort of boring. I run with music and keep myself entertained listening to the current song and wondering what is coming next, and thinking about my day and my family and all that, but the clock is ticking on my ability to keep myself interested.

Does anybody have any techniques to keep themselves motivated during the longer time intervals?

(BIG THANKS!)

Replies

• melt57
    melt57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 8, and I've been listening to audiobooks during my runs. I only let myself listen to another segment of the book while running, so it helps keep me motivated for my next run. I just did a 28 minute run, and I looked down at my watch thinking I was about halfway through and I only had 5 minutes left. The time flew by! So, if you are a big book fan (and the book is actually good!) maybe that will help. Good luck!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thank you!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    You could always try a different app, there are plenty out there!
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I use nike running, and every 500m, it will report on my pace, speed, there will be encouragement from athletes, 200 m from goal. And, encouragement when complete. and of course music to go along with it. I like running outside, and I try different routes, so it won't get boring.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Try something like Zombies Run! app, that might make it more interesting if it's your type of thing. Vary your run location, set yourself goals, book a 5k run to motivate you and give you something to work towards, find a run buddy or join a running club - that might make it more interesting. Some people like running and some don't, if you don't enjoy it then it's unlikely you'll stick with it - if that is the case for you then try to find something else that you enjoy doing, exercising should be enjoyable otherwise it's difficult to keep at it. Good luck :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice! I'm looking for a motivational running app after this one. Something where I can set goals and maybe do intervals. I think what I need is to change it up about every 10 minutes or at least have something happen beside a new song and rounding the next corner. Or maybe I'll just learn to forget that I'm running and focus on something else.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I finished C25k and am now on week 3 of 5k to 10k. I love running. I also think it is the most boring thing EVER! I do much better running outside than on the treadmill. Right now, it is in the single digits, so I will be on the treadmill whether I like it ot not. To make it more entertaining for myself, my running mix on my iPod is full of songs I love and know all the words to and if the song has a great fun memory attached to it, even better. I am training for a 10 mile race at Disney World in October. I am hoping running at Disney will keep me entertained for up to 2 hours.
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice! I'm looking for a motivational running app after this one. Something where I can set goals and maybe do intervals. I think what I need is to change it up about every 10 minutes or at least have something happen beside a new song and rounding the next corner. Or maybe I'll just learn to forget that I'm running and focus on something else.

I struggle with the same thing...and I graduated in September. I get around 2.5-3 miles and regardless of music/app or whatever - I'm mentally done. Being stuck on a treadmill during extreme cold makes it WAY worse. I have started doing intervals with a warmup mile and cooldown mile just to keep my mind occupied. It helps. Running with someone else helps also - maybe look for a local running club? In the beginning, I liked to go alone - I needed all my concentration to get through the prescribed run....now - I find the distraction helpful.

Good luck....and great job so far!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    EXACTLY! I'm glad I'm not alone. I just got myself fitted a the local run shop (Phidippedies) and asked my saleswoman (who runs marathons) about it. She just kind of smiled. I think its so far in the past for her that she doesn't even remember what it was like.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I definitely used to feel that way. Wish I had advice - at some point it became me time and a time to sort of meditate while remaining aware of my surroundings (like...active meditation...I run outside so I don't zone out on my surroundings, but at some point, there's only room for that and the run - nothing else).
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thank you! I kind of mentally put myself in that place yesterday.

My neighborhood is two blocks and one of them has a big hill. I warm up walking up the hill, run down the other side and then circle the other block until I'm done. I know about where I'll be half way and about where I'll finish, so I just didn't think about how much I'd done or had left to go, except when I was listening for the halfway signal.

It made the whole thing seem much shorter.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I am bumping this post...

vardaeml, you're running a heck of a lot longer than this now. What advice would today's vardaeml give January's vardaeml?

Also to all of you currently doing C25K take a few minutes to scroll back through the boards. I don't think there's a topic that hasn't been covered (over and over and over) so there's a lot of great advice out there. And if you go back far enough you can find where the people giving you all the great advice today were just going through C25K themselves. :smile:
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Oh my! I had to do a double take when I started reading that first post. It's great to see someone who thought it was boring take it on in such a way as Varda has.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in April and I remember thinking that it was boring. It has finally gotten better. Still can't say I love it but I like it. I hope that by this time next year I will love it. I do love how strong and powerful I feel when I am running!!!

I have read many posts by vardaeml and since January she/you have come a long way.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Oh my! I had to do a double take when I started reading that first post. It's great to see someone who thought it was boring take it on in such a way as Varda has.

Kathleen I'm pretty sure I saw your name on some of those posts too - I'll have to go back and look later this weekend.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I am also curious about this, especially since September Varda is now running 13 miles....not 3.

I can tell you what September Becky says over January Becky:
    "In less than a year you have gone from sitting on the couch to running 13 miles in one shot. I am a rock star, and have the medal to prove it!"
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Hmm...I am also curious about this, especially since September Varda is now running 13 miles....not 3.

I can tell you what September Becky says over January Becky:
    "In less than a year you have gone from sitting on the couch to running 13 miles in one shot. I am a rock star, and have the medal to prove it!"

Love it! September Becky kicks butt.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Excuse me, the January Becky was going to finish the program on one leg if she had to. The difference for me is that I call myself a runner out loud. While its virtual, I feel myself a part of a community. And I'm used to the rhythms of a run: the hard 10 minutes, the sigh and shake, the place where you can go forever, even running out of gas. Any runner will tell you that those first couple of miles kind of suck anyway, and I think I was going about 1.9 at that point.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Excuse me, the January Becky was going to finish the program on one leg if she had to. The difference for me is that I call myself a runner out loud. While its virtual, I feel myself a part of a community. And I'm used to the rhythms of a run: the hard 10 minutes, the sigh and shake, the place where you can go forever, even running out of gas. Any runner will tell you that those first couple of miles kind of suck anyway, and I think I was going about 1.9 at that point.
    True...January Becky would have cut off her leg and used it as a crutch if it meant finishing. September Becky thinks January Becky was silly on that measure and is suprised by how much she has changed. Meaning, that if I had that pain today that I would be resting and healing rather than pushing through.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Amazing the perspective that actually knowing you can do it brings you... I guess the question isn't "what would you tell the old you?" But "what would you do differently if you were 100% sure you could run a 5k at the end of the program."