Am I a good candidate for EM2WL?

Options
newmrsdec10
newmrsdec10 Posts: 361 Member
Alright, just looking for some info/feedback. I've been talking with harlanjen, who is full of information, but I don't want to bug her!

1. Should I do my numbers based on 5-6/week strenuous or 3-5/week moderate?
2. If I change my goal to reflect my TDEE - 20% number, I do NOT enter my exercise cals, right? Or do I enter them but only worry about hitting that number in the Net category?

My current numbers are 1710 goal (can't remember what formula I used to get there, but it didn't include exercise cals so I would enter those and try to net 1710. (There are many days that I do not hit that for Net.) Macros set protein/carbs/fat - 40/30/30

5-6/strenuous
BMR - 1651
TDEE - 2848
-20% - 2278

3-5/moderate
BMR - 1651
TDEE - 2559
-20% - 2047

I'm 32 and 5'6"

Read on for background info!

This is just going on the last 7 months:

I did Insanity (twice) and am now doing TurboFire; I also do BodyCombat at my gym twice a week - so I'm burning on average 400-500 cals a day and on my 2-a-days 800-1000. (usually 1 rest day, some weeks - 2)

I've "only" lost 18 lbs. I lost 27 inches during Insanity June - August. My clothing size has not changed, but I felt like I really had to get back IN my 14s before they would be loose - meaning they were tight/muffin top creators and now they are fitting and starting to get loose.

Any help? Input? Advice? I feel like the last 60 days have been for nothing :(

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Alright, just looking for some info/feedback. I've been talking with harlanjen, who is full of information, but I don't want to bug her!

1. Should I do my numbers based on 5-6/week strenuous or 3-5/week moderate?
    2. If I change my goal to reflect my TDEE - 20% number, I do NOT enter my exercise cals, right? Or do I enter them but only worry about hitting that number in the Net category?

My current numbers are 1710 goal (can't remember what formula I used to get there, but it didn't include exercise cals so I would enter those and try to net 1710. (There are many days that I do not hit that for Net.) Macros set protein/carbs/fat - 40/30/30

5-6/strenuous
    BMR - 1651
    TDEE - 2848
    -20% - 2278

3-5/moderate
    BMR - 1651
    TDEE - 2559
    -20% - 2047

I'm 32 and 5'6"

Read on for background info!

This is just going on the last 7 months:

I did Insanity (twice) and am now doing TurboFire; I also do BodyCombat at my gym twice a week - so I'm burning on average 400-500 cals a day and on my 2-a-days 800-1000. (usually 1 rest day, some weeks - 2)

I've "only" lost 18 lbs. I lost 27 inches during Insanity June - August. My clothing size has not changed, but I felt like I really had to get back IN my 14s before they would be loose - meaning they were tight/muffin top creators and now they are fitting and starting to get loose.

Any help? Input? Advice? I feel like the last 60 days have been for nothing :(

many mentions of "did" - not "doing" - so can't really give informed opinion. How long are the sessions, ect.

Actually, since you are measuring, may like a place to log progress, use best estimated BMR based on BF%, use better activity calculator to decide your level easier, and get macro goal for your size.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

You can skip BMR/TDEE background info, read over the Simple Setup tab info, and spreadsheet link at bottom.

Also, the excessive cardio isn't doing you any good. That's a bad stress on your body, and along with diet stress and other stresses, that's going to fight fat loss.

Better to drop some cardio and pick up some heavy weights and try to maintain muscle mass. Large cardio amounts won't do that for you.
    At least a reasonable deficit helps to not risk that so much. But still.
  • newmrsdec10
    newmrsdec10 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    am now doing TurboFire; I also do BodyCombat at my gym twice a week - so I'm burning on average 400-500 cals a day and on my 2-a-days 800-1000. (usually 1 rest day, some weeks - 2)

many mentions of "did" - not "doing" - so can't really give informed opinion. How long are the sessions, ect.

Sorry you missed it - said I did Insanity first; there's the doing. Sessions are between 15 min HIIT and 55 mins at the most.

Actually, since you are measuring, may like a place to log progress, use best estimated BMR based on BF%, use better activity calculator to decide your level easier, and get macro goal for your size.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

You can skip BMR/TDEE background info, read over the Simple Setup tab info, and spreadsheet link at bottom.
    Holy Schmoly! :happy: That's a lot going on! I will definitely look into/get a copy of the spreadsheet; see what I can figure out!

Also, the excessive cardio isn't doing you any good. That's a bad stress on your body, and along with diet stress and other stresses, that's going to fight fat loss.

Better to drop some cardio and pick up some heavy weights and try to maintain muscle mass. Large cardio amounts won't do that for you.
    At least a reasonable deficit helps to not risk that so much. But still.

Not sure what this line means? a reasonable deficit in...?

Thanks for the response.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sorry you missed it - said I did Insanity first; there's the doing. Sessions are between 15 min HIIT and 55 mins at the most.

Holy Schmoly! :happy: That's a lot going on! I will definitely look into/get a copy of the spreadsheet; see what I can figure out!

Not sure what this line means? a reasonable deficit in...?

Ah, did miss it. So those program, even if just heavy intense cardio training the anaerobic carb burning system mainly, at least put correct breaks into the routine usually.

Stick to the Simple Setup tab of the spreadsheet, other is option if you care to tweak or dig, ect.

Reasonable deficit is up to 20% of your TDEE.

But 1000 calorie straight deficit daily could be very wrong and way too much for you. So this will at least help with having reasonable deficit.