Low Carb for the "Mature" Folks

Clownfish423
Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
I'm not new to low carb - been doing it in some form or fashion for many years. I lost over 25 pounds in my late 30's and kept most of it off for a good while. Then, life got in the way - raising 3 boys to be hopefully responsible adults, terminal illness in my father, the diagnosis of diabetes, work stress, and the dreaded menopause! I started fast approaching my all-time high weight (which I swore I would never get to again) and put the skids on. I've been back and forth on low carb, tried Weight Watchers for the umpteenth time, and am back to the only thing that has ever worked for me. Fortunately, I've managed to keep my diabetes under control without medication, which I'm sure is related to my general low carb lifestyle and exercise. I check my blood sugar regularly and my doctor says to keep doing what I'm doing (except I need to lose weight - duh). I exercise pretty regularly.

My dilemma is how SLOW this process is taking. I've been working pretty hard since August and have managed to lose about 8 pounds. I know 8 pounds is 8 pounds, but it's getting a little frustrating. I'm sure it only gets more difficult the older I get.

So, I'm looking for tips. I'm changing up my parameters a bit to focus more on higher fat, moderate protein (less than 80 grams per day), low carb (25-30 grams per day). I think I've been eating too much protein at times...

As far as exercise goes, I can go an hour on the treadmill at a moderate pace and have a hyper dog that I will walk for 45 minutes to an hour when the weather permits. I'm thinking about doing some interval training, alternating higher intensity days with longer, slower aerobic days. I drink a lot of water naturally and have pretty much cut out diet sodas. I do have a cup of coffee in the morning with coconut oil and half & half - I'm not giving that up!

Any tips will be appreciated, especially from my more "mature" friends who have been through this and succeeded!

Replies

• CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    I’ve never been accused of being mature, but I do get seniors discounts. I think sometimes when we concentrate on the number on the scales, we lose sight of the big picture, which is our health. Over the last 10-15 years, I have lost close to 100 lbs. on almost every diet and fad out there, but my T2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. has always been bad. A few years ago, I started eating healthy by eating to my meter, and eliminating the foods that gave me BG spikes, which turned out to be grains, starches and most processed foods. My “numbers” (A1c, lipids and cholesterol) started improving when I started limiting my carbs, at first to 100-200 grams a day, then 50-100 grams a day, and now 25 grams per day. I now eat 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbs (26 grams). During these two years of eating healthy, I’ve lost about 40 lbs. Since August, because of some other health issues (Afib, surgery), I have been stuck at the same weight +- a few pounds, but have been taken off all my diabetes meds, all of my high cholesterol meds, and all but one of my blood pressure meds, which my Dr. said she will probably take me off within a month. I would love to see the scale numbers drop (and they will), but I know that my clean eating is doing good things that are hidden away in my body.
  • Any tips will be appreciated, especially from my more "mature" friends who have been through this and succeeded!
    Well, I'm 45, so a bit younger I suppose. The biggest tip I can give is probably the same as CRody44 .... pay attention to doing the healthy things, not necessarily the number on the scale. If you are getting cardio exercise and you are limiting your carbs, increasing your good fats, moderating your protein, you are doing great things for your body.

I would also recommend reading Gary Taubes (both Good Calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat) and spending time exploring Mark's Daily Apple. You may have read them already, of course, in which case feel free to disregard. There's no silver bullet I know of. :-(
  • floridapanthergirl
    floridapanthergirl Posts: 87 Member
    Hey! Glad to have a chance to talk with you a little. I work with a trainer who has been very helpful to me. I only see her every other week, cause that's all I can afford, but she has been worth every dime. I lost 40 pounds about 2 years ago then gained about 15 back. I have now lost 16, so am one down from 2 years ago. My trainer suggested low carb cause my body fat is pretty high and she wants me losing more fat than muscle. She says to eat half your body weight in protein and to keep the carbs down to 30. I have reduced the carbs to about 50 and am going down from there. It has also come to my attention that I should watch out for cholesterol and keep it at the MFP limit of 300 g. and to watch fiber cause it is so easy to get constipated with low carb and you want to let go of the toxins through your colon. Fiber is at least 20 g. which is not easy to get, so I use psyllium in a protein shake on a regular (hahah) basis. So far it is working for me and I am learning a lot. My weight loss is at a bit of a standstill right now, but I have not been exercising much cause of injury. We have 'friended" each other, so watch me, and I'll watch you. All this about staying off the scale is good advice.
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate the input. I may need to up my protein just a bit. I think I have my carb/fat balance pretty good. Incidentally, there was a blurb on Good Morning America this morning about the benefits of interval training. Supposedly, you can reap more benefit from exercise by doing it - alternating quick bursts of activity with a short recovery. I'm really going to focus on that, leaving my other food ratios the same. I did intervals yesterday and felt really good afterwards! I have a heart rate monitor and I really upped my heart rate during the intervals (yet staying within my goal range). I don't normally do that on my treadmill walks. I'm trying to get past losing the weight quickly and just focusing on getting my body healthier. I'm determined to keep myself off diabetes meds!

I have read the Taubes books and also follow Mark's Daily Apple - two great sources! I'm kind of a book nut and pretty much read everything I can put on my iPad - it makes the treadmill a little less boring!

By the way, I'm not very mature either...I tend to be a goofball (which isn't very grandmotherly, I suppose)!