customizing goals

Hi everyone- I just started MFP this week . Just wondering if people customize their carb/protein / fat/ ratio on their goals, since eating this way says I am way over on that fat and protein. If so what do most people re-set their ratios to? I would like to lose 30 pounds .
Thanks!

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    mine are set at 20% carb, 40% protein 40% fat...
  • sherig1127
    sherig1127 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks Jenna, so how do I convert tha
    t to grams under the goals if I am tracking?
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Go to the My Home tab.
    Select the Goals.
    Hit the Change Goals button.
    Select customize.
    You should then have a list of items you can select.
    Adjust the Fat, Carbs and Protein percentages you want. It will automatically adjust so that they always equal 100%.
  • sherig1127
    Thanks Ladies , I got it!:smile: now that just raised another question . Is 1200 calories about right - how did everyone set up their caloric goal ? I set up my account months ago - then didn't do anything with it until now and that's just what it gave me for a number of calories s day to lose approx 2 pounds a week. Is this the amount most of you try to stick to?
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    I used the following site to help figure out my ratios:

http://www.paleoz.com/nutrition/carbohydrates-proteins-and-fatswhat-ratio/

Your calories come from the Carb, Fat, Protein numbers which it explains on the website. It just helped me get a base of what I needed.
  • sherig1127
    sorry Joe - thanks yo you too- that was a great help!
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member

Your calories come from the Carb, Fat, Protein numbers which it explains on the website. It just helped me get a base of what I needed.

I feel like this should have been obvious, but it TOTALLY wasn't. This was a great read, thank you for posting it!
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    sorry Joe - thanks yo you too- that was a great help!

No problem.

I've come to realize that MFP has a massive female to male ratio in it's members. Or at least the ones that seem to post.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member

very helpful, thanks! but how on earth are we meant to get up to 65% of our calories from fats? what kind of fats? i'm really struggling to understand where i can get that level of fat intake from...
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Nuts and nut butters are a great source of fat. Salad dressing, bacon, bacon grease, cooking fats are others. I don't seem to have a problem getting my fats in :wink:
  • babymaddux
    Nuts and nut butters are a great source of fat. Salad dressing, bacon, bacon grease, cooking fats are others. I don't seem to have a problem getting my fats in :wink:

i eat english bacon which is a different cut and has a lower fat content, i don't feel like i've eaten any bacon with the american cut. i also possibly don't eat enough of it. i might try getting some nut butters, but i've never been a big fan. i'll give it a try, thanks. :smile:
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member

very helpful, thanks! but how on earth are we meant to get up to 65% of our calories from fats? what kind of fats? i'm really struggling to understand where i can get that level of fat intake from...

I'm not worried about fats - I'm wondering how I could even remotely get less than 16g carbs (6-7%)? Maybe if he's talking simple carbs, but even my veggie/nut/berry consumption keeps me closer to 75-100g per day! :noway:
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    If you're trying to really cut the carbs, fruit should be very scarce in your diet. That might be where you are getting most of your carbs.
  • 16g?! Can you tell us how you arrived at that? Any less than 50g a day should be sufficient to lose weight. I just have mine set at 15% of calories.
  • babymaddux

I'm not worried about fats - I'm wondering how I could even remotely get less than 16g carbs (6-7%)? Maybe if he's talking simple carbs, but even my veggie/nut/berry consumption keeps me closer to 75-100g per day! :noway:

i'm with you on that, i love grapes and berries. giving up grapes would make me cry
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    16g?! Can you tell us how you arrived at that? Any less than 50g a day should be sufficient to lose weight. I just have mine set at 15% of calories.

I was at work and didn't have time to read his full algebra formula :tongue: so I took his percentages:

Nutrient Percentage
    Carbohydrate ~7% - our choices here are 5 or 10% if we do custom, so 5% = 16g, 10% = 33g. I'll probably shoot for 20 - 25.
    Protein ~29%
    Fat ~64%

I've changed my numbers to see how I'll do. If I hadn't have had oatmeal this morning I'd have been just fine with the % he gave.
  • Ok, I see now. Near the end of the article, for fat loss, it says "Our food should therefore come from about 10% Carbs / 30% Protein / %60 Fat..." I do note that the article seems geared to men and manly calorie amounts :D
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    I don't believe in ratios, myself. I just make sure I get about 1g protein and 0.5g fat MINIMUM per lb of my bodyweight, and fill the rest of my calories with whatever. Hitting sme arbitrary number seems like a waste of time. That, and I like grapes.